Woodpiles

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's a pile of firewood, do you know what kind?

Axman; I tap into the dipper cyl. circuit on the backhoe / loader and have a stick arrangement that grabs the dipper control lever for control. It is a 4'' id cylinder I made up. With the 2250 psi presssure it doesn't get stumped very often. Cycle time is about 15 seconds at idle. The tractors hydraulic is a much lower gpm. and cycle times would be a little slow. There are some bigger pumps that mount on the pto shaft of a tractor, but unless you can scrounge some parts it doesnt take long to spend the price of a commmercial unit. I was only out about 200 bucks for a piece of crome shaft and seals and about a weeks worth of diddling around.

Hello LJS, it is my guess it is Almond or Walnut. When I was in Calif, I was very impressed with the huge Walnut and Almond groves.
Here is a picture of a White Oak. The tree in a farm field (Brampton Ont.) is much in contrast with the encroaching urban sprawl. However, trees suit almost any landscape, even a desert.

John

LJS,

I'm never any good at this picture id stuff, but I'll take a stab at it, for the fun of it. The yellow tint in some of the split wood would say to me Black Loucust, Osage Orange, or Mullberry. Of the three I would pick the Osage Orange. Am I right or wrong??

Your wrong Ax-man. Gypo knows all, that's Almond wood. Very good BTU's. Very hard wood to cut when dry. LJS

Log mover?

Here is the ever popular"log mover",you have heard so much about.It seems to to resemble the model used in Ontario,this time of year. ;)

Rod "oven" too

It seems these "rod ovens" are gaining in popularity.Mine is roasting a pound and a half of pure nickel[ broke the tailstock of a starter motor on my tractor,ugh]

Al,that Ni Rod is pricey stuff too. Nothing but the most scientific moisture controls for that. I see you are having fun with the new toy. give us some before and after pics as you do the starter housing. Sometimes it flows beatifully, sometimes it dont eh?

I have a pretty good supply of Ni-rod,308 stainless,etc.Although I don't make my living at it any more,I've been at it for nearly 40 yrs.I've"glued "it together with about every method,Ni-rod,stainless,easy flow brass,even once used square cast rod with borax,for a manifold.The easiest,is John -Deere,the worst is Caterpillar and old Ford[ limestone cast]If it's fit tomorrow,I will do the repairs,and take some pics.I have to go to my shop,20 miles away,ugh.That picture was taken with my cheap old web cam,the new one is driving me nuts.

Cookie cache?

I read something about you should empty your cookies,every so often,so I did. :dizzy:

All you need now timberwolf is a chute and have those feed themselves into the stove.

Welcome to the site Pioneer,

Nice looking Homelites, I just finished my little Super XL 925 project making two good saws out of five, they turned out real good, I'm happy with them, been giving them some excersize in our wood lot.

Larry

Here is a pic of those two Homelite SXL 925, and some of the wood I was testing them out on. Gonna try my hand at loading two different pics, hope it works.

Last edited:
finally got the camera back from the inlaws, the first three are the piles for my father in-law, he burns 3 foot or longer in his furnace.....

the next 2 are my piles. There is 3 types of piles, already split, too small for splitting, and too BE split:

the last picture is a fair overall of the piles I have going.... Not including the 7 or 8 truck loads hauled over to the in-laws already for the winter.

Back