woods port saw video thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I run around 20 degrees of blow down in a 044 hybrid.
How much do you like?
What I like has no relevance. I'm not trying to call anyone out about their numbers.
I just thought you might have something else to add about what other port degrees would get different blowdown numbers to work with equally impressive results.
You brought it up and it's an interesting subject many are curious about.

When was it done, time period? Doesn`t matter which porter so don`t feel obligated to say who,that may cause a row.
I got it in sept of 2014 according to a date in my pictures ,early 046 d jug with finger transfers added ,saw idles all day long and cuts pretty quick with .404 and a 32 inch bar .I do have to use the sissy button to start it ,it will start without it ,but i do not want to strip the starter palls out .is pretty happy running tuned in the 15500 range .Randy did the work ,used some ideas from one of DC's jugs . Whatever he did worked good .

The very best running factory 046s were from the first production year. The difference? Short duration. It makes all the difference in the world. The same thing applies to the hybrid.
Do you know if there are any id markings on the early ones ?

The very best running factory 046s were from the first production year. The difference? Short duration. It makes all the difference in the world. The same thing applies to the hybrid.

Have you found this to be a rule for yourself Brad? Reason I ask is I was talking to Randy this weekend and he increased blowdown in a good running 661 he did, and it is now freakishly strong. If I remember correctly it's around 25 degrees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you found this to be a rule for yourself Brad? Reason I ask is I was talking to Randy this weekend and he increased blowdown in a good running 661 he did, and it is now freakishly strong. If I remember correctly it's around 25 degrees.

Ive increased the blow down on every saw I do accept a 394,I like 17-18 degrees on them and 20+ on everything else.

I like 18-20 in a 661 but that depends on what the saw is used for, if it's a 24 or 28" bar saw with a higher exhaust you run out of room to raise them,for me about 98 is as high as I can get and keep less than 20 degrees of blow down,I have done them lots of ways and for me that's where they run the best,not better than anyone else's just for how I do them.
To say every saw has to have a specific blow down across the board is not true, it depends on how you port,I can assure anybody that if your saw runs good no matter what kind it is that it's not from blow down alone,there's way more to a good running saw than raising the transfers to achieve a number.

A short blow down cylinder will port better for almost everyone because the transfers don't need raised as far after machine work and roof and entry angles are easier kept.

I got it in sept of 2014 according to a date in my pictures ,early 046 d jug with finger transfers added ,saw idles all day long and cuts pretty quick with .404 and a 32 inch bar .I do have to use the sissy button to start it ,it will start without it ,but i do not want to strip the starter palls out .is pretty happy running tuned in the 15500 range .Randy did the work ,used some ideas from one of DC's jugs . Whatever he did worked good .

Randy is a good ole boy, I bet it runs ape ****.

I don't recall that claim ever being made in this thread.
Go find a raker gauge and play with it.

I never implied that anybody did,there's lots of ways to do it and I couldn't care less how anybody else does it.

Why would anybody care about how much blow down there using?
Look back through the hybrid build threads and see how much fighting has gone on over it.

If you have any kind of problem that you need help with please pm me and I'll give you my phone number and we can talk about it.

Remember what it's like to talk about a problem with the actual person you have a problem with?
I think a lot of guys have forgot or never knew.

You can say anything that you want on here about someone or something you don't know anything about and it's perfectly fine.

Seems pretty chicken **** to me though.

I'm all ears waiting to hear about the hybrids you have built.

I never implied that anybody did,there's lots of ways to do it and I couldn't care less how anybody else does it.

Why would anybody care about how much blow down there using?
Look back through the hybrid build threads and see how much fighting has gone on over it.

If you have any kind of problem that you need help with please pm me and I'll give you my phone number and we can talk about it.

Remember what it's like to talk about a problem with the actual person you have a problem with?
I think a lot of guys have forgot or never knew.

You can say anything that you want on here about someone or something you don't know anything about and it's perfectly fine.

Seems pretty chicken **** to me though.

I'm all ears waiting to hear about the hybrids you have built.

There is certainly no one way to port a saw. I've seen the same model saw with exhausts high and low, long intake durations with short blowdown, short intake durations with long blowdown, high compression, low compression. And they've been impressive in all configurations. What's fast one day in a certain circumstance loses the next. Way to many variables. Porting is a symphony, each change demands another, the artist continues to look for enhancements and other ways, some just do what others have done and let others pioneer the new ideas. It's all good.

Latest posts

Back