Work Appearance/Uniforms

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jumper

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Oil Patch, Edmonton, Alberta for now.....
We had a thread here a few days back about dress on the job, and the consensus was that pants with company T was worn by most, at least in summer. No problem with that one after having worn a uniform for 22 years.

For the guy earning $peanuts, who should be paying for T shirts?And /or cool weather jacket with company logo?

I think it is legit to demand people provide their own serviceable PPE, including safety boots, gloves, and for those cutting or chipping, chainsaw pants and helmet ensemble/glasses as applicable. A Christmas bonus for long term employees to repurchase same in the form of a gift certificate might be a decent idea instead of getting them drunk one afternoon as happened to me last year.

But making people buy $15 silkscreened T shirts (you need at least 4 and in my experience they are all ripped and grubby/covered in pine sap in a few weeks anyhow) is a little much in my opinion. By all means, insist on a serviceable non offensive shirt, or pay for the shirts for your employees if that is what you want them in.

I continue to be amazed at the appearance of some employees in this biz-nothing looks more unprofessional and second rate than someone dressed in early grunge, who has not had a bath in days, wearing boots that are falling apart and all carved up from saws, nor has taken the time to wash his clothes in days. UGH!

Owners and bosses-comments SVP.

I think you should provide them for employees. I had an old employer want his Ts back when I quit. No problemo. Who would want those sweaty torn things back??

I liked having uniforms as an employee. There is always a clash when employees are provided uniforms but still wear their own clothes.

In Bavaria my employer just gave each one of us one pair chainsaw overalls that we wore EVERYDAY! mmmmm....yummy smell!!

I got myself a uniform and quit the torn T and jeans thing after I had people approach my groundie thinking that since he was more presentable, he was boss. Wake up call for me.

EYEW

Originally posted by TREETX
I think you should provide them for employees. I had an old employer want his Ts back when I quit. No problemo. Who would want those sweaty torn things back??

My latest boss does, and he is being a jerk by withholding my last pay of about $200 until I do! I suspect their is a reg about reissueing next to skin items to people, t shirts are akin to underwear for me!!!!

As long as they are washed, they can be reused.

I've worked for a few places that had you sign for all uniform peices. If you left they would deduct x amount from your last check till you returned them.

I think all uniform and PPE items should be provided by the employer, replace for normal wear and tear. You leave the cool safety glases somewhere, you replace them. Helmet goes through the chipper, they cost 35 bucks!

JPS - I see your point, no finacial responsibility for the equipment/ clothing means there is little incentive to keep up with it and take care of it.

There is also an element of CYA in it too. You documented that he recieved the items, and instruction to use them "Whenever treework is in progress". In the case of a W/C issue where there was refusal to wear, you have grounds for denighing coverage, or at least liability in litigation.

Yes I have recomended refusal to cover W/C claims on a few malingering Bays-tards.

Jumper,
Here in the USA, it is pretty much dictated by the workman's comp. providers that employees MUST be provided with PPE items. As a sub I provide my own, but that is because I have my preferences and don't want to use someone else's nasty stuff. But as JPS stated, coverage for an accident can (and will) be denied if the employee wasn't provided with safety gear.

I wouldn't want some bozo ex-employee to be wearing a company shirt while drunk at a bar or caught on camera to be displayed all over the place. Imagine the negative press on that....

Does anyone have a policy about wearing uniforms after hours?

Nickrosis

we had uniforms non logos. Employee 50% of cost. Shirts & pants. It was not mantory. to wear them But I guess about 95% did.

Heard a story about an Asplund employee that got busted for heroin... picture made the paper and he had his company T on....you know what happenned next...
God Bles,
Daniel

Exactly! How bad can it get? I'm sure the Public Relations department had to counteract that one for a while.

I'm wondering if there are policies on that because I've gone to the store, the gym, etc. and thought about what others might be thinking......while I'm thinking, "I can't wait to get home and read what's up on ArboristSite." We don't realize how much gets observed until something happens and witnesses pop out of nowhere or cameras somehow catch things.

Nickrosis

Arborist, or maybe just "brushdragger" NOT preacher or police man. Who cares if they wear their uniform to the bar after work? Most people just go, wow, sweaty blue collar guy. Are you afraid the preacher and the police man will be at the bar and think bad of the company?? Get real.

Ashplunde gets a tax credit for hiring ex-cons. I don't think that is a big shocker to anyone. The thing I hate about it is you get a bunch of ex-cons with an interest in tree work(not tree care). There is a group called Branchbusters here. They could use the song from Fla. I have finshed jobs they abandoned after collecting a deposit. Why do you think Ashplunde uses bright orange uniforms? It is what many employees are used to wearing.

I've got a bunch of Ts from this summer working in the hot Texas sun. They are washed if anyone wants them.

Wife's a performer that travels globally, so she's always bringing back cool T's from everywhere, that's what I wear.

Tannic acid and sweat though, the stains are permanent. I treasure the shirts I got that meant something but as I dress and go out the door, I've ruined 'em all. Have a "Around Alone" (global circumnavigation) shirt that to me was Holy. The guy who it was given to died at sea in the '94 race. It was ruined while on a particularly crappy job on a ********'s oak. I'll forever hate that guy 'cause of that, although he had nothing to do with the shirt being ripped, he was a **** and we'll end it at that.

I gave-up long time ago about "feelings" or paranoia regarding what other people think. I'm independent and that's one reason why. If I cared about how most "customers" feel, I would cover-up my hard earned tatoo but I earned that and the push for regimentated "sameness" is what gave us WalMart, Chevy Suburbans, Blond soccer mom trophy wives, and the entire stock market collapse. Nick, some companies need to have spit and polish and I admire you and yours, but as time progresses, we age, we see nastiness out there like Priests and alterboys, little girl kidnappings, and executive criminals, we start to show less and less respect for Wonder white bread and spit shined boots.

What isn't tolerable is alcohol breath, foul language, or pissing on the rhododendrons. Staring at the housewife also is a bit in bad taste, even though she's had her breasts augmented.

Honest work, fair pricing, excellence and good service takes front seat for me, not an army honor parade. These days those are growing more and more apart from each other.

Nick, how good are those shirts still?

wilt

I order some t's when I order my uniforms. Always have anyone on job site wear one. Even if its a 1X day labor. They cost about $10 and I don't ask for them back.

I won't comment on a large tree companies crews because I'm sure there are good and bad in any company that runs multiple crews. Line clearence crews protect the lines, not the trees, it's not in their benifit to protect the trees. In fact, if every tree they trimmed died, that would be best.
Erik, don't come in here singing the praises of line clearence guys, you don't stand a chance. We all see them at work, hehe, as we drive down the roads.
I noticed you posted your website and took a look at your pictures. I assume you put it up for comment, so I'll say, pretty scary. I recommend you borrow some PPE and retake those pictures. You might want to get rid of that shot of you standing under a huge log while cutting off it's support.:D
Pehaps some tree preservation pictures, technical rigging, or a nicely trimmed tree, instead of a stump and a bunch of smashed little trees.:eek:

Welcome, Eric.
I see you met our resident critic (one of them, anyway). ;) Hopefully you will stick around and pick up some great ideas to save money and time, while working safer and doing a better job for the TREES.
I had to laugh looking at the pic of a guy climbing a tree to set a pull rope. I used to do the same until I bought a BigShot. Now I usually set my lines from the ground before ever putting on my saddle. :cool:

I take that as a personal attack, and THAT'S unproffessional.

Well, Mr. Tax Man thanks for realizing every employer can use said mentioned tax credit. As you said, be more professional and don't take it as a personal attack.

I was just stating an observed fact. I was not attacking you. I'm sure there is no way they could be that big if everyone was an ex-con electric line-loving, tree hacker.

Latest posts

Back