Work Boots Steel toed/shank?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How about composite toes. They are supposed to solve the problems of steel toes, transferring cold, electricity and severed toes. Composite is supposed to "pop" back into shape after a crush?

Composite toes are marketed up here as not being conductive of cold, and also do not set off metal detectors as much as boots with steel toes and plates. I never have heard any claims of their being more suitable for use in electrical hazard areas than steel toes, nor for that matter reagarding their "popping back" as you put it-they are hard plastic.

Jumper said:
Composite toes are marketed up here as not being conductive of cold, and also do not set off metal detectors as much as boots with steel toes and plates. I never have heard any claims of their being more suitable for use in electrical hazard areas than steel toes, nor for that matter reagarding their "popping back" as you put it-they are hard plastic.

I'm not saying it it's the gospel truth, just what I have heard. I'm willing to concede that it may be not so. :)

Old Monkey said:
I admit I have one fallen arch, a horrible rollerblading accident...I don't want to talk about it. I had Whites and liked them for firefighting but they only lasted me one season of fire and one winter of tree work. It rained everyday that winter and White's don't do well in wet weather IMO. Yes, I treated the leather regularly.
what were you, usingfor preservative, snoseal or similsr silicone based products will trash oil tanned leather. I use Pecards done that for over adecade and had no problems. The soles on those boots will wear in a season maybe if youre lucky 2 but remember thats 300 days a year on a sole none of that cheap crap these other fellas are flogging will go that distance. :umpkin:

Take an old pair of steel toed boots and cut the toes out. Take a 10lb sledgehammer and hit them repeatedly. If they are not K-mart specials you will have a HARD time crushing them. I've ran an 80K ladder truck over them repeatedly with NO deformation. Also ran a JD450 with no effect.

It is a wives tale about the steels cutting toes off. If that happened you'd have greater problems to deal with. I firmly believe that argument was started by employees who wanted to argue with bosses about wearing them. They have saved me from injury on 4 occasions in which I would have lost toes or worse if not for the steel.

But then again, there was that one time where my granddaddies buddies son's uncle got his toes cut off by the steel toes. ;)

Back