Worked on my first WildThing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That speaks volumes about the American buying public........

We are the "Power Horse"-men of our own economic apocalypse, soon to be:
:deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse:

You can't tell me that someone who buys a saw for use once or twice in their lifetime would be better off buying a 361 than a wild thing. Like it or not, the wild thing has its place and has been filling that place well for a lot of years now.

You can't tell me that someone who buys a saw for use once or twice in their lifetime would be better off buying a 361 than a wild thing. Like it or not, the wild thing has its place and has been filling that place well for a lot of years now.
What would this place be like without the Wildthing, downright boring. It's filled it's place well all these years. It's a dirty job, but some saw has to do it.:cheers:

Last edited:
he does have some what of a point if he is stating wildthings are for the occasional limb trimming user. you dont go out and fell a tree with it
The 3/16" is a snap..it's the smaller line that seems to give people problems.

I use Tygon, I take a saw file with a handle on it and put it in the line hole, apply pressure and give it a few twists, blow it off, cut line at an angle and push it in, use hemostats to grab from inside, voila. never a leak, no problems, the case is thick in that area.

The worst thing to put fuel line on is a Tanaka ECS-415. Complete saw teardown, includes splitting the crankcase, removing the cylinder, etc...It's a solid 2-3 hour job and you had better hope the case doesnt leak bar oil outside, or into the crankcase when you get it all back together.

i agree the little line is a B**** i gave up and made one out of a vacuum control line that went to a 1988 mustang smog pump servo just heat and insert and it seals great!!!

on another note i feel the wildthing is a good little saw its just not reliable by any means

he does have some what of a point if he is stating wildthings are for the occasional limb trimming user. you dont go out and fell a tree with it

i agree the little line is a B**** i gave up and made one out of a vacuum control line that went to a 1988 mustang smog pump servo just heat and insert and it seals great!!!

on another note i feel the wildthing is a good little saw its just not reliable by any means

Mine starts on 3 pulls no matter how long it sits, days, months...5 months?...It runs great and idles great, I dont have any problems with it stalling or cutting out.

Ive also tuned it in, muffler modded it, and uh...had my way with the exhaust port a little.

Ive been thinking about making a little adapter and running a small K&N air filter...but I always lose interest.

Wasn't there a Wild Thing porting contest a few years ago? If I remember right, the guys were going to use Wild Things for the fun factor and to keep the price low.

Mine starts on 3 pulls no matter how long it sits, days, months...5 months?...It runs great and idles great, I dont have any problems with it stalling or cutting out.

Ive also tuned it in, muffler modded it, and uh...had my way with the exhaust port a little.

Ive been thinking about making a little adapter and running a small K&N air filter...but I always lose interest.

use the breather k&n all you have to do is drill a hole in the back and push the rubber hose in.
i find the unreliability is the primer and fuel filter but mine starts on the 4th pull and i bypassed the primer

If you used vacuum line for a fuel line it will melt apart within a month, if not sooner. Good and reliable go hand in hand.

Last edited:
well they cut good for what they are so i see them as good because they do their job well
Like I said good and reliable go hand in hand. How can you say they are good little saws, but not reliable. If I can't rely on my saw I sure wouldn't be bragging about it.:hmm3grin2orange:

The 3/16" is a snap..it's the smaller line that seems to give people problems.

I couldn't figure out how to get that small line through the hole in the case, so I just enlarged the hole in the case with a drill. No leaks, no problems.

Like I said good and reliable go hand in hand. How can you say they are good little saws, but not reliable. If I can't rely on my saw I sure wouldn't be bragging about it.:hmm3grin2orange:

they are good saws if you get them to run lol mine would give me the occasional no start every now and then but now it is fine and today it started on the first pull

Last edited:
Yeah, don't be a Poulan hater:confused: there are some people who will NEVER need any more saw than a Wild Thing. Heck, if they don't do anything else, they make you respect the quality and workmanship that are in the professional saws.
And, I will say that my Craftsman-Poulan is easily the most reliable saw in my small collection. It has always started and will always do what I ask of it. HOWEVER, I don't ask too much from it because it absolutely wears me out running that thing... No AV system, low on power, and it just shakes me to death.

The Poo-poo's have a place in society, so don't knock em'!

TFB

I have a craftsman/poulan saw. (I think it's 34 cc's)
I have BEAT this saw to death and she just keeps on tickin. Once in a great while it will start real hard but it comes out of it and goes back to starting easy for a couple of months.
I have in the past cut alot of wood with this saw but now it is primarily used on the construction site. I do a fair amount of demo work and this little saw has cut a mountain of walls, tile, barn timbers etc.
Last winter we tore down 30 X 120 of wood framed offices. Just fire it up rip right through drywall, studs, wiring etc. I think I ruined 3 chains on that job.:)
In a nutshell I'll buy another for this type of work if I ever ruin the one I have.

I have to say that my Craftsman 36cc/16" served me well. Cut about 50 cord with it since I bought it in 2001. Replaced the spark plug twice, the bar once, tons of chains and it just got a clutch and sprocket last week. It has never been to a shop and has always started on the 4th pull cold. Three on full choke and starts on the 4th with half choke. It's a one pull saw warm.

That said, I'd rather drive my 361 now, although the Craftsman did save it from a pinched bar on the second cut ever on a blowdown burr oak.:cry:

Wild Thing, you make my heart sing!
You make everything... groovy...

:dizzy:

When I used the Crapsman 18" (same saw as Wild Thing) and the chain smoked while cutting a hedge stump and wouldn't cut any more, I got pissed off big time and went to the local STIHL dealer and came back with a 361 w/25" bar.
That sent the crapsman to under the workbench :laugh:

When I used the Crapsman 18" (same saw as Wild Thing) and the chain smoked while cutting a hedge stump and wouldn't cut any more, I got pissed off big time and went to the local STIHL dealer and came back with a 361 w/25" bar.
That sent the crapsman to under the workbench :laugh:

thats when you sharpen the chain:laugh: i might vote that one as operator error!!!!!

thats when you sharpen the chain:laugh: i might vote that one as operator error!!!!!

It was a new oregon 18" chain on it...2 mins later it smoked. That's when I went ape#### and buzzed off to the local STIHL dealer...

Back