Worked on my first WildThing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I used the Crapsman 18" (same saw as Wild Thing) and the chain smoked while cutting a hedge stump and wouldn't cut any more, I got pissed off big time and went to the local STIHL dealer and came back with a 361 w/25" bar.
That sent the crapsman to under the workbench :laugh:

Now you're talking. Whatever it takes to get you into a real saw, is worth it........

When I used the Crapsman 18" (same saw as Wild Thing) and the chain smoked while cutting a hedge stump and wouldn't cut any more, I got pissed off big time and went to the local STIHL dealer and came back with a 361 w/25" bar.
That sent the crapsman to under the workbench :laugh:

So you had a chain problem, and blamed it on the saw....that makes a lot of sense...

I used my Wild Thing to cut a dozen azaleas out of the ground. i literally was boring the bar into the ground and cutting around the bushes to get the roots, then snatching them out with the tractor.

towards the last 4 the chain was dull as all hell, so I ran it over the grinder, then finished the bushes off. Ran the chain over the grinder again, cleaned the saw up, cleaned up the bar, removed and cleaned the clutch, Ive used it a few times since then and it works great...would I do that with a 75 dollar B&C? Heck no...but the cheap poulan didnt seem to mond, heck it still had the paint on the bar.

Take a Wild Thing, a non-strato model.

Open the box, remove the saw, take the stock chain and put it in the trash. Buy a new non-safety 3/8LP chain, put it on the bar, and assemble the saw. Now remove the top cover and muffler. Split the muffler, remove the screen, as well as enlarge the holes in the baffle, also open up the discharg port a hair. Remove the carb limiter caps, take them both 1/4 turn from as rich as possible with the caps on.

Put in some fresh mix, 93 octane with 50:1 Echo power blend, or your favorite high end oil. Add a good quality bar oil.

Crank it up and let it warm up, then make a few cuts. Tach it out to 13,000 no load.

Run a half dozen tanks through it, then re-tach it to 13,500 no load.

It's a hell of a saw..Bonus points if you play with the exh. port.

Now you're talking. Whatever it takes to get you into a real saw, is worth it........

Somehow, I don't think someone who uses a $1600 saw to cut 6" limbs and teaches school in a place that endorses creationism has an opinion that's pertinent here. :laugh:

Somehow, I don't think someone who uses a $1600 saw to cut 6" limbs and teaches school in a place that endorses creationism has an opinion that's pertinent here. :laugh:

Aha! And the cosmically minded a$$ finally comes for me! Finally drew ya out...:blob2:

My sister manages a home despot, so I will go easy on ya. So how did the dorsal fin removal surgery go? Did medicaid cover it, or did they call it "elective?":laugh: :fart:
Oh btw if you'd pay 1600 for an 084, yer sillier than you act. I got two good ones for about 1400. Wanna buy one? I'll make ya a heckuva deal. How's 1599 sound?:laugh:

Last edited:
craftsman 2.3

hi,,
i know craftsman/poulan saws are a good joke here,, but i noticed someone lists a craftsman 2.3 in their collection... i got one on cl last spring for $20.00,, it was almost new & had an original 4 pak of on opened oil cans & a hard case with it.... took it home,, replaced the fuel line, plug, air filter & carb kit,, and been running it since,,, it has safety chain on it, which i replaced,,, it starts right up and runs strong,, its an old (1978 i think) aluminum case.....
does anyone know if there is a poulan equivilant number for it? may be easier to get parts that way,,, i would like to change the sprocket with the next chain,, thanks .......
john

hi,,
i know craftsman/poulan saws are a good joke here,, but i noticed someone lists a craftsman 2.3 in their collection... i got one on cl last spring for $20.00,, it was almost new & had an original 4 pak of on opened oil cans & a hard case with it.... took it home,, replaced the fuel line, plug, air filter & carb kit,, and been running it since,,, it has safety chain on it, which i replaced,,, it starts right up and runs strong,, its an old (1978 i think) aluminum case.....
does anyone know if there is a poulan equivilant number for it? may be easier to get parts that way,,, i would like to change the sprocket with the next chain,, thanks .......
john

if you post pics we will be able to tell you something about it

Last edited:
2.3 craftsman

thanks for the reply.... i cut about 8-10 ,cords of mostly oak, and some ash & maple this spring and summer with it,,, haven't done anything but blow out the fan,, and oil & gas it,,,, really runs well, compared to some newer craftsman saws i've run.... do you think a non safety chain would help?
thanks again
john

thanks for the reply.... i cut about 8-10 ,cords of mostly oak, and some ash & maple this spring and summer with it,,, haven't done anything but blow out the fan,, and oil & gas it,,,, really runs well, compared to some newer craftsman saws i've run.... do you think a non safety chain would help?
thanks again
john
How long does it take to cut 8 to 10 cords with your 2.3 Craftsman and what diameter was the wood?That must be one tough little saw.:chainsaw:

Back