Worlds No.1 Chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wait, explain that last bit a little more?

Husky is on its way out right now and they don't even realize it.
If there were one more MAJOR player in the OPE market the death knell would have already sounded for them.

I was going right along with your argument until this statement. What's your reasoning here? Even if M/D passes Husky, (which I'm not sure I believe will happen) can't Husky do just fine with a third of the market?

What's the relative sizes of Husky vs Makita? Given Husky's propensity to buy other saw brands, maybe they'll swallow Makita too?

Not disputing, just want your thoughts.

Thanks

PPine

Ah, all valid points. However we are forgetting a few things.

Firstly, marketing is a huge factor. Dolmar/Makita are terrible at it. Stihl is a household name. For many people if you asked them to name a chainsaw brand Stihl is the only name that would come to mind. Nobody has heard of Dolmar. Those that know Makita remember that they use stupid size batteries in their cordless drills that cost 120 bucks to replace. Also, Stihl produces calendars with really hot German women. And German women are way hotter than Japanese chicks especially when they are wearing those Oktoberfest outfits. Man I love those outfits.

Secondly, the market is won by all the other products that are not chainsaws. Weedwackers, mowers, blowers etc are what make all the money and make up the biggest volume. Dolmar has no presence in this department at all. Even Echo is far far ahead in the game in this category; and this category is what makes or breaks these companies.
Damm, I feel like an idiot posting three times in a row, but I must point out,(what has previously been pointed out), Swedish Chicks are far hotter than German Chicks.

Dolmar was unknown to me before I found this site, just as a couple others have said. They don't have the marketing resources of a Stihl or Husky. If the market isn't aware of them, there's still an opportunity to establish awareness.

And Makita still has a chance, too. Makita may be small fries in the saw category, but they enjoy strong brand equity for professional and consumer tools of other types. They must also have a hella bigger marketing budget than Dolmar, too. Considering the shaky reputation of Poulan, McCulloch & Homelite in the consumer segment, maybe quality consumer saws is their potential route in. (Support is critical, though, making big box channels dubious.)

The question for Makita isn't necessarily about how long they've tried, but what they've tried.

Damm, I feel like an idiot posting three times in a row, but I must point out,(what has previously been pointed out), Swedish Chicks are far hotter than German Chicks.

Perhaps. I propose a test. Please post some (non-naked) photos of the finest examples of each and we can figure it out. Maybe a poll, or perhaps just raise your.....well nevermind.

I was going right along with your argument until this statement. What's your reasoning here? Even if M/D passes Husky, (which I'm not sure I believe will happen) can't Husky do just fine with a third of the market?

Mature markets typically boil down to two major players owning the lion's share of the market & the rest of the players fighting over the scraps. a 1/3 1/3 1/3 scenario is possible, but is usually the result of somebody moving up & somebody moving down. The one that's moving up keeps moving up & the one that's moving down keeps moving down 'til the market is no longer split into equal thirds.

I have come to the conclusion that Makita probably decided that the end goal was not to be the largest producer that sells the most saws but to own the manufacturer that produces a line of products that they wanted to sell in order to be able to offer a complete line up of Makita branded tools. It would not surprise me at all if the Dolmar name was phased out in the long run.

Being number 1 has never seemed important to Makita. Being profitable seems to be very important.

Perhaps. I propose a test. Please post some (non-naked) photos of the finest examples of each and we can figure it out. Maybe a poll, or perhaps just raise your.....well nevermind.

Swedish, German, Japanese . . . just three different flavors of good. I like the idea of posting pics, but guys, I've been field testing them extensively for years and I still can't tell ya that one is better than the other.

:cheers:

I have come to the conclusion that Makita probably decided that the end goal was not to be the largest producer that sells the most saws but to own the manufacturer that produces a line of products that they wanted to sell in order to be able to offer a complete line up of Makita branded tools. It would not surprise me at all if the Dolmar name was phased out in the long run.

Being number 1 has never seemed important to Makita. Being profitable seems to be very important.

Yup. The Snap-On approach.

The Japanese will tell you that business is war -- and indeed, it's a war that's won on profitability.

There seems to be allot of talk about the next new thing technology wise, and I am a supporter for (improvements) but sometimes the next new thing especially when it comes to technology, isn't't always a good thing.
A large majority of people don't like change especially when it comes to a tried and proven system; the 1911, points in an ignition system, carburators, mechanical 4wd, atc to name a few. Makita could make a saw with fuel injection, push button start, and a self tensioning chain, and it could work well, but their will be allot of people who avoid it because it is new and unproven. the newest example that i can think of is Rugers 10/22 it was the number one selling .22 rifle in America and they changed the receiver from metal to polymer plastic, the sales have dropped on them sense. Polymer is suppose to be a superior product but people don't like change on something that is proven, especially when it is changed to plastic.

There seems to be allot of talk about the next new thing technology wise, and I am a supporter for (improvements) but sometimes the next new thing especially when it comes to technology, isn't't always a good thing.
A large majority of people don't like change especially when it comes to a tried and proven system; the 1911, points in an ignition system, carburators, mechanical 4wd, atc to name a few. Makita could make a saw with fuel injection, push button start, and a self tensioning chain, and it could work well, but their will be allot of people who avoid it because it is new and unproven. the newest example that i can think of is Rugers 10/22 it was the number one selling .22 rifle in America and they changed the receiver from metal to polymer plastic, the sales have dropped on them sense. Polymer is suppose to be a superior product but people don't like change on something that is proven, especially when it is changed to plastic.

Yep - early & late adopters make up the majority of the market. How quickly they adopt depends on how much they trust the innovators & early adopters, how emotionally attached they are to the incumbent technology, and the duty cycle or longevity of the product or category, among other things. And there's a chasm to cross between the early adopters and the early majority. There are plenty of new technologies that have failed to clear that gap . . .

Just because Dolmar/Makita don't have the Lion's share of the market this shouldn't be linked to profitability. The current Global Financial Crisis is showing that the bigger you are the harder you fall, quite often with no signs until D Day.

Just because Dolmar/Makita don't have the Lion's share of the market this shouldn't be linked to profitability. The current Global Financial Crisis is showing that the bigger you are the harder you fall, quite often with no signs until D Day.

Stihl is in superb shape. Zero layoffs. How many layoffs at Dolmar and Makita I wonder?

Husky may lesson there impact on the saw market due to the fact that they probably make 5 times the per unit profit on there crappy lawn tractor market.

It's not even close:

attachment.php

You worry me Tom...there's more shots of guys than gals in that video. And what's up with the cheesy #### music?

I'm fully expecting to see your mug with that 180 rod on the next Stihl calendar!

ahahah :ices_rofl:

Back