would this be apple?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mga

wandering
Reaction score
i have to cut up about 30 of these. wood is very dense and heavy and dulls the chain rather quickly.

the branches are scraggly.

IMG_0561.JPG IMG_0562.JPG

Bark is too rough for apple. Apple is not that dense nor heavy either. It's more like cherry.

I would venture on the woods coloring that it is a species of hickory. The colors of hickory contrast greatly except for pecan hickory.

they're growing in an abandoned orchard, which lead me to believe they were apple trees, and they were in rows.

when I go back, i'll take close ups of the bark. usually I can ID them pretty good, but this one was a tuff one because it was hard to cut thru. and the pieces were heavy from being so dense.

i'll probably be splitting it next week. when I do i'll put some pics of it split as well. usually, I don't care what kind of wood because it's all free (except soft woods) but before I load up with this I'd just like to know what I'm getting.

It's probably some kind of crab apple. They plant them by orchards for pollinator trees., because of there longer blooming period they pollinate all varieties of apple tree's.

From what I see from the shape of the crown, the bark, even the wood, probably not. Doesn't appear to have any pruning. It doesn't look that old to be in an "abandoned" orchard, around 30 years? Did they have any nuts in the orchard?

It's looks like it was allowed to grow naturally and not pruned. So I doubt it was a production tree.

NUTS, look for some nuts on the ground around that tree. I have never seen apple with bark that rough, but, I have not seen everything.

Odd ball oak species or hickory

Hickory should smell great when burning!!

NUTS, look for some nuts on the ground around that tree. I have never seen apple with bark that rough, but, I have not seen everything.

Odd ball oak species or hickory

Hickory should smell great when burning!!
An oak that young may well not have acorns under it yet..

My vote is some kind of Hickory, doesn't look quite right for White Oak, at least not the ones that grow around here.

It does look like a smaller pin oak or white oak , but why would someone plant 30 of them in a row by a apple orchard. Also why are they being cut down?

Latest posts

Back