Would you allow access to small skidder to pull loads across your property?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saginaw22

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I had a phone call from a woodcutter that wants permission to make a skidder trail through my 10. He is cutting an 80 around me, that is more mature than my 10,But he only needs my access for a couple of tens past mine My 10 is regrowth from a pine stand that was cut during a wind shear around 98' and mine is regrowth and its not that grown up that much yet.

The guys said that he has a real small skidder and said that will drag tops across the path or use the skidder blade to clean up the trail. I have met the guy, he sold me some wood when I first bought my house like 5yrs ago seems like a typical (good guy)

But I have seen what skidder can do when its wet and a huge load, making trenches that could swallow a truck.
I asked him what its worth and he said it might be worth a 100.00 bucks.

i

I had a phone call from a woodcutter that wants permission to make a skidder trail through my 10. He is cutting an 80 around me, that is more mature than my 10,But he only needs my access for a couple of tens past mine My 10 is regrowth from a pine stand that was cut during a wind shear around 98' and mine is regrowth and its not that grown up that much yet.

The guys said that he has a real small skidder and said that will drag tops across the path or use the skidder blade to clean up the trail. I have met the guy, he sold me some wood when I first bought my house like 5yrs ago seems like a typical (good guy)

But I have seen what skidder can do when its wet and a huge load, making trenches that could swallow a truck.

I would wait till the ground is good an frozen, then say go for it....

You get deep ruts that need to be filled when the ground is soft. Even if the ground is firm, repeated traversing of the same trail with a heavy skidder compacts the ground and can make for difficult regrowth. If this is cropland, don't let him do it.

Just curious--why is he skidding tops and not logs?

No way I'd do it. Personally. That $100.00 is not worth the potential problems you can get into. I don't stage anything as I don't see the point unless there is a time table to get out or a weather issue. A LOT less sharpening done when you cut where it lays but to each their own. If you are still thinking about it do what hanniedog suggested but I'd want the LAST 3 he has done.

Comming from a non professional...

I figure, if you know the guy and want to be nice, that would be the drive, not the $100, really, unless you need a road. Maybe you'd be keeping relations with neighboring property owners, and that could be a benefit. Maybe you'd have a use for his equipment someday?

Do a pro/con list for yourself. It might be more worthwhile for you to address your concerns for the negatives. Have him keep the hundred bucks but instead sign a contract - have him grade the road after (detail out what 'grading' will be acceptable - X amount of dollars per damaged tree - no liability - clean up any slash on the side of the road - Does he need to block the road after he's done to prevent traffic?

Does he have any other options? If not, you could charge more. If you don't feel like you got a good deal - money or not - then don't do it. It's him that's in a bind and not you.

Oh... Do you mean he's drag tops along the path as a method of cleaning up the trail?

Contracts? This might help. Walk and agree to where the trail will be located. Agree to the width of the trail. Are you out there much? Specify and write down how deep of a rut (what you call ditching) is acceptable. For example--8 inches deep for 10 feet is the maximum. That's just an example, you can figure out your own specs. Write them down and both of you sign off that you agree.

Different operators do different things. I know some that can practically skid across a wet bog, and barely leave a mark (exaggeration a bit) and others that would bury their skidder if there was a drop of moisture on the ground.

I don't know your local conditions. If your ground freezes hard, that is a good time to work. If you get a couple feet of snow on top, that's the best as far as protecting your soil.

Here, after skidding, the logger is responsible for rehab. We always have slopes to contend with so he has to put in waterbars aka draindips and or pile slash on the trails to stop water from causing erosion problems. We even have them seed the trails sometimes. Running down it with a tree top? Nah. That's pretty lame.

If compaction is a concern, he can lift the soil up using a blade in the skid trail after finishing. I've not seen a skidder do that well. Most blade work is best done by a dozer. Of course, there are a few operators that CAN do blade work with a skidder. But I've only seen a couple.
The soil scientists like to see the soil fluffed up that way. The best way is with an excavator.

But again, I don't know the conditions of your area.

One thing good about requiring so much rehab work, if the logger is smart, he'll limit the amount and size of skid trails and that is good for the ground.

Last edited:
I agree with the other comments. If the road would be beneficial to you, maybe now it the time to create one.

The other option is to get some of the tops skidded to your place for payment type reasons?

Good luck,

Bill

slowp has good advice there.

Maybe go step further on the skid road walk thru and flag it with paint.

Might discuss contingencies in case the logger is unable to complete the cleanup/rehab for whatever reason.

Anyway some links to Wisconsin's BMP for forestry operations which maybe similar to Michigan's (check with your forestry dept):

FAQ

online manual
hth

In my case if I had soneone desprate enough to want to cross my place (a quad can get around but I wouldnt drive my truck accross it) then I would have him sign a contract and watch for the laughs.... But we are in a diffrent situation. I have a mix of a mature woods that I need logged and cant get anyone to do it and about 20 year regrowth of walnut. I would be pretty happy if I could get a logger on my place.

BMPs in Michigan are voluntary, not required by law. Take that into consideration, too.

The $100 will be gone LONG before the memory of looking at a trail you don't want. I know how I am and every time I saw that out of the window or when I pulled into my driveway it would be a reminder.

Then only reason I would consider is if I was trying to keep neighborly relations - even at that I've kindly refused similar requests. Even if you have a contract how would you enforce it if he failed to live up to the agreement?

The $100 will be gone LONG before the memory of looking at a trail you don't want. I know how I am and every time I saw that out of the window or when I pulled into my driveway it would be a reminder.

Then only reason I would consider is if I was trying to keep neighborly relations - even at that I've kindly refused similar requests. Even if you have a contract how would you enforce it if he failed to live up to the agreement?

A performance bond would be a possible approach to mitigating risk.
Suppose alot depends of length and topography of skid road.
Risk Insurance is another issue...

This is not said to under or over state the OP's question, btw.

Hello,
That $100 is a joke.......he just wants to use you !!!! There is always another way or method.....let him figure it out...it's his deal anyways !!!!!!! If he was family or your best friend, then that's something different !!!!

Henry and Wanda

Latest posts

Back