Would you like chainsaws if they didn't make noise?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the other way? no

when wife and kids wear them he will still hear them.... :dizzy:

just to add a thought to the thread

Silent saws: yes if there is no need to hear what the engine is doing.

How many electrical hand tools are killed because people have no feeling with the engine noise and just overheat it?

Why do we have a rev counter in our car? and if not, how do we know when to change gear? big part by sound not?

Also, the sound makes kind of a safety zone around you. Kids will not approach that easily, my dogs stay away safe distance, the horses dont come sniffing around in the felling zone. Engine sound = danger.

Its as the story with the danger of electrical cars running over people because they are not aware something is coming.

I agree you dont need 120dB for that.

Confirm. wife and kid will not hear you anymore when wearing them.

Wife and kid don't listen anyway :)

the other way? no

when wife and kids wear them he will still hear them.... :dizzy:

just to add a thought to the thread

Silent saws: yes if there is no need to hear what the engine is doing.

How many electrical hand tools are killed because people have no feeling with the engine noise and just overheat it?

Why do we have a rev counter in our car? and if not, how do we know when to change gear? big part by sound not?

Also, the sound makes kind of a safety zone around you. Kids will not approach that easily, my dogs stay away safe distance, the horses dont come sniffing around in the felling zone. Engine sound = danger.

Its as the story with the danger of electrical cars running over people because they are not aware something is coming.

I agree you dont need 120dB for that.

+1

If you want a quiet chainsaw, get an electric one. Stihl and Husky make decent ones with enough torque for many jobs. Now you may have to put a car muffler on the generator you lug into the woods, but hey, whats a little adversity..........A word of caution: Generators are heavy, so you may hafta duct tape your mouth so you dont hafta lissen to yer own swearing, cursing, and (expletive, deleted) oaths to the one whose name you take in vain at times like these, but, well, that is another type of noise entirely.........:blob2:

I think that a good set of earplugs or muffs is the solution to this one.....

Admittedly, I do like the sound of an electric saw chipping through wood, but my 044 sounds a heck of a lot cooler, and may even do better with the DP muff cover I got for it!:greenchainsaw:

If you really like quiet, and birds chirping, etc., one option would be to trade your chainsaw in on a pair of nice Leica binocs, and join a birdwatching group, so you can walk down established trails with retirees who go oohh and ahh over a, you guessed it, a SPOTTED OWL! "Ooohh, look, Lester! That one is wearing a PETA buttin!":dizzy:

If you want a quiet chainsaw, get an electric one.

Electric saws are actually still pretty loud, not anything near a gas powered saw though.

If there were such a thing as a silent (or near silent) saw, I'd run it. You'd want some volume to the engine so you can tell what it's doing, but it'd be nice not needing to wear ear protection/bugging your neighbors. It's just like motorcycles and cars, a good tone to the exhaust is far more important than the volume level.

Electric saws are actually still pretty loud, not anything near a gas powered saw though.

If there were such a thing as a silent (or near silent) saw, I'd run it. You'd want some volume to the engine so you can tell what it's doing, but it'd be nice not needing to wear ear protection/bugging your neighbors. It's just like motorcycles and cars, a good tone to the exhaust is far more important than the volume level.

+1 :clap: :clap:

Back