Would you or would you, this is a test

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THALL10326

The Champ
Reaction score
Everyone is welcome to state their opinion and I won't fuss with ya at all unless you call me a name or call me out.

Here goes.

I went to lunch today at 2pm. I came back at 3pm and I find a chain sitting on my counter. Someone has dropped it off while I was at lunch. On the tag was his name, phone and a note "he would like to have it by 4pm". I think hmmmmmmmm, ok Mr. Special, you get ahead of everyone else.

I sharpen his chain and at 4pm on the dot he comes in to get it. Seemed like a right nice guy but no one is nice enough to jump ahead of everyone else in my book less they is tipping or spending some BIG bucks.

I go are you the 4 o'clock man looking for his chain. He goes yeah. I go is this the only chain you have, he goes yeah. I go well let me tell ya you need to buy some spare chains because this 4 o'clock stuff isn't happening again. I wasn't mean or nasty but merely letting him know this isn't how it works. To my surprize he understood fully and proceeded to buy a extra chain along with a bunch of other stuff.

How would you have reacted, would you have taken it like he did, would you have bought another chain or would you been fussing and boo hooing and telling me to go f---k myself? Be honest with your opinion!!!!!

I would have asked if you had any high-quality handsaws, so's I wouldn't have to go to the chain saw shop anymore...

Good point. I would have replied yup we got those but you can't get it sharpened within one hour of leaving it,LOLOL

When Im busy, I tell them, sorry, come back tomorrow and pick it up. If Im not, I sharpen while they wait. Thats just how I do it, but impatient customers really piss me off...

I would never have expected to have the chain by 4PM. If I did I would have explain what the emergency was at the time. I would have planned on paying more to get it done and also left a tip. Why didn't he just buy the spare chain to begin with and then come back on another date and pick up the sharpened chain.

I would have made my own 2nd and 3rd chain like half of the other guys on here and you would have never even seen me in the 1st place. But if I was in his shoes I would have bought the chain for sure.:cheers:

When Im busy, I tell them, sorry, come back tomorrow and pick it up. If Im not, I sharpen while they wait. Thats just how I do it, but impatient customers really piss me off...

Well I gotta give my customer credit, he was nice and he fully understood he was jumping ahead of all the other stuff I had to do. He spent quite a few dollars too. I think he and me will get along just fine now that he has a spare chain,:cheers::cheers::cheers:

I had one old guy bring a bunch of battered firewood chains in. I was in the middle of doing a harvester bar/chain/sprocket order for one of the big local logging companies and told him it would be at least three hours. He says "Don't you have time to just do one??" I said "no, I'm sorry, I'm too busy right now." He said "well are you too busy to DROP DEAD???" and walked out...

I would never have expected to have the chain by 4PM. If I did I would have explain what the emergency was at the time. I would have planned on paying more to get it done and also left a tip. Why didn't he just buy the spare chain to begin with and then come back on another date and pick up the sharpened chain.

There's the post I'm looking for, your 100% correct. He shoulda done just that, buy a new one and leave the old one. After my little bit of coaching he's set to go now, cool beans,:cheers::cheers:

I had one old guy bring a bunch of battered firewood chains in. I was in the middle of doing a harvester bar/chain/sprocket order for one of the big local logging companies and told him it would be at least three hours. He says "Don't you have time to just do one??" I said "no, I'm sorry, I'm too busy right now." He said "well are you too busy to DROP DEAD???" and walked out...

Customers like that arent worth it..again, my opinion.

Awww you let him out the door without telling him Drop Dead works both ways, man your slipping Jacob.

Ya know I had a customer come in yesterday with a FS90 trimmer. Didn't run worth a dayummm. I got 3 others I'm selling too and this cat is standing there waiting. I go whats wrong with that thing while still dealing with my 3 other customers. He goes it won't rev up. I said step out the door and fire it up so I can hear it. He does, the machine sounds awful. I go here put a tag on it and I'll get to it as soon as I can. He writes up his tag and then tells me I'll be by in the morning to get it. I'm thinking hmmm will I have it ready.

After I got everyone cleared out the shop I popped a new coil on that machine and she was perfecto. It was ready 1 hour after he had left it. Why did I jump on his machine. Because he's a landscaper, buys alot of Stihl from me and he needs his machine to make his living, thats why.

Saw chains I got no mercy for at all. Anyone too tight to have a spare chain or two sure isn't gonna get any speedy service out of me...

Everyone is welcome to state their opinion and I won't fuss with ya at all unless you call me a name or call me out.

Here goes.

I went to lunch today at 2pm. I came back at 3pm and I find a chain sitting on my counter. Someone has dropped it off while I was at lunch. On the tag was his name, phone and a note "he would like to have it by 4pm". I think hmmmmmmmm, ok Mr. Special, you get ahead of everyone else.

I sharpen his chain and at 4pm on the dot he comes in to get it. Seemed like a right nice guy but no one is nice enough to jump ahead of everyone else in my book less they is tipping or spending some BIG bucks.

I go are you the 4 o'clock man looking for his chain. He goes yeah. I go is this the only chain you have, he goes yeah. I go well let me tell ya you need to buy some spare chains because this 4 o'clock stuff isn't happening again. I wasn't mean or nasty but merely letting him know this isn't how it works. To my surprize he understood fully and proceeded to buy a extra chain along with a bunch of other stuff.

How would you have reacted, would you have taken it like he did, would you have bought another chain or would you been fussing and boo hooing and telling me to go f---k myself? Be honest with your opinion!!!!!

Truth with a smile works most of the time.

Spare chain is needed more often then a spare tire.

Customers like that arent worth it..again, my opinion.

I would almost always agree with you , but, sometimes with a little subtle "coaching", they turn out to be good ones. Kind of a "have you thought about......" thing. If they don't bite, don't worry about them next time.

My uncle used to tell me, "Once in a while you have to have a bad one, just so you realize how good the good ones really are." :clap:

Just my $ 0.02.

I would almost always agree with you , but, sometimes with a little subtle "coaching", they turn out to be good ones. Kind of a "have you thought about......" thing. If they don't bite, don't worry about them next time.

My uncle used to tell me, "Once in a while you have to have a bad one, just so you realize how good the good ones really are." :clap:

Just my $ 0.02.

Good point!:cheers:

Seems he should have had to pay big time, as you would say...he got off cheap...

What is he too good to give you a call to confirm that you could or couldn't get his chain done by 4:00pm? You didn't sell him a grinder, files, guides, reel of chain, case to store it in, and an extra saw with a sharp chain on it?

Your loosing your touch, IMO, must be those McD sundaes getting to your blood or somethin'...
If I ever leave you a chain with a note to have it sharpened in a few hours, please tell me to make like a sheep and get the flock outta 'yer store...or to make like a tree and leave:cheers:

After I got everyone cleared out the shop I popped a new coil on that machine and she was perfecto. It was ready 1 hour after he had left it. Why did I jump on his machine. Because he's a landscaper, buys alot of Stihl from me and he needs his machine to make his living, thats why.
[/QUOTE]

And that is exactly why he buys a lot ....... from you !

I think it went well form both parties and add what Bowtie stated.
On the behalf of your customer, there is nothing wrong with asking as there is always the possibility that things could be quiet.

Good point, there is nothing wrong with asking. I didn't fault the man at all for that. Everything worked out great!!!

I wouldn't bump him ahead of everyone. I would have called him and let him know when it could be ready. Besides, "I would like to have it" is not the same as "I have to have it." :)

I suppose he should have said something like "Is there any way you can get to this" so he would sound less demanding.

I sharpen my own chain, and I don't know any local shops that offer service while you wait. Nobody expects that here, although sometimes you get lucky. I would probably call the store about a minute after you made your coffee, order my parts/product/whatever, and have you call me back when I should send someone in to get it.

I enjoy your threads, and I'd probably enjoy ####ering with you, Thall. I don't mind paying for service and value: if the local guy's costs are higher or his volume is lower he'll still get my business by offering value. For example your post on another thread about a pole saw...I might pay full retail without batting an eye if I need it, you have it, and I know if I break it you'll fix it so I don't have to either buy another one or send it to the factory center in Bumfork, Egypt.

I'm glad you had a decent human being show up at your shop. I'd hate it if you thought everyone was a loser.

Back