WTH ! is this fear of a lawsuit ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thats like at lowes when they ask me for my home phone number when i buy a light bulb.. its big brother out to get us.
sounds like theyare just covering their ass, every stihl catalog has in small print next to every bar and chain and saw "green label bar and chains recommended on all saws"

I say I don't have a phone and only use Skype and that stumps them. If they ask for an email address I make up something like [email protected]

It'd be an insurance/public liability issue.

Case in point, Mrs Rick is a Dressage Coach and her Public Liability/Professional Indemnity insurance requires each rider to sign a waiver declaring that horse riding is dangerous and they saddle up on their own horse knowing the risks.

It doesn't stop you being sued (in this country you can't sign away your statutory rights) but what it does do is cover your arse if someone gets injured, it goes to court and they saw
"I didn't know I could get hurt....."

The only time Depot takes your number is one of three things:

1. you're applying for credit
  2. you're making a special order
  3. you're having them hold merchandise for later pickup

The credit application is simply a bank requirement. The other two are to facilitate contacting you with information regarding your order. When taking this information, we have to select whether you accept solicitations or not. By default, I always select "no." Your information is never sold to a third party.
Not true space, They ask for my home phone number about every time i buy something there, Whether it's a cash transaction or i use a debit card. I mostly use the Self checkout to eliminate the question.

I'm not 100% sure about the Depot. But a know that Lowes ask me every time I buy anything there.

And I have never had a dealer ask me to sign anything for buying a chain. Mine usually lets me go into the back room to pick out what I want. :biggrinbounce2:

Not true space, They ask for my home phone number about every time i buy something there, Whether it's a cash transaction or i use a debit card. I mostly use the Self checkout to eliminate the question.

That's interesting. All I can say is it must be some sort of pilot program they're running in your store, because I've not seen it at the one I work at. Of course, I've not worked on the registers lately either.

Maybe it's a cute chick trying to get your number? ;-)

I'm not 100% sure about the Depot. But a know that Lowes ask me every time I buy anything there.

And I have never had a dealer ask me to sign anything for buying a chain. Mine usually lets me go into the back room to pick out what I want. :biggrinbounce2:

wonder if this is for their mailing list/sales flyers?

That's both hilarious and very sad at the same time.

It has been coming on for a long time. Over thirty years ago, my first new chainsaw, a McCulloch 510, stated in the Owner's Manual "Do not use when tired." And it was just like all the previous well worn saws I grew up with - by the time you got it started you were either tired or mad - usually both.

Ron

That is sad indeed. I read in a book once a very great phrase in regards to lawyers: If you have one lawyer in a town, he will barely make a living, move another one into that same town and damned if they both get rich.

The only time Depot takes your number is one of three things:

1. you're applying for credit
  2. you're making a special order
  3. you're having them hold merchandise for later pickup

The credit application is simply a bank requirement. The other two are to facilitate contacting you with information regarding your order. When taking this information, we have to select whether you accept solicitations or not. By default, I always select "no." Your information is never sold to a third party.

Maybe where you work. Just today I was at the local Home Depot and bought a couple tarp straps, some tie-downs and a couple chains and they asked for my #. She did call me darling on my way out of the store though?

Maybe where you work. Just today I was at the local Home Depot and bought a couple tarp straps, some tie-downs and a couple chains and they asked for my #. She did call me darling on my way out of the store though?
Space works at one in arkansas....your doing good if you have electricity let alone a phone so they don't even bother asking anymore. I'm kidding ;)

even on the self checkouts at my walmart and lowes and home depot they ask for your zip code, i dont even understand that at all, what good does it do them knowing your zipcode?

even on the self checkouts at my walmart and lowes and home depot they ask for your zip code, i dont even understand that at all, what good does it do them knowing your zipcode?

I have noticed that at self checkouts and pay at the pump stations. I always thought that it was verification that whoever was using your credit card knew the billing zip code. I have never entered the wrong one to see if it would decline the transaction.

Well , it was at best amateur as well . All those that had bought the "forbidden chains " were listed right above Me on the same page . Name , address ,and signature . Seems to Me that they might have a problem with the privacy act by doing that .
Seems to Me that a separate form would be in order .
All it would have to say is something to the affect of :
Yes , I am a risk taker .
I've sold My soul to satan
in order to have a chain that works .

I hope not

The phone number/zip code thing is used by lots of chain stores. Supposed to help them determine where to place new stores. I always give em my work phone or zip. I don't need no stinkin box store in my town, already got a chain store JD dealer, that's bad enough.

Never seen a waiver form yet, but there are "dealers" around here that only carry low kickback. I don't frequent them, and only go to real Dealers, regardless of what brand they're dealing.

The phone number/zip code thing is used by lots of chain stores. Supposed to help them determine where to place new stores. I always give em my work phone or zip. I don't need no stinkin box store in my town, already got a chain store JD dealer, that's bad enough.

Never seen a waiver form yet, but there are "dealers" around here that only carry low kickback. I don't frequent them, and only go to real Dealers, regardless of what brand they're dealing.

Look around the register and there is almost always the stores local phone number somewhere...That's what I give them.:)

Jeez, I don't know about you guys but, my dealer and I have been friends for twenty years and last time I needed chain I went in the back and made up my own loops and told him to put it on my account, which I pay monthly. I have never signed anything for him other than birthday, anniversary and Christmas cards.

When they ask you for your phone number just add a 1 to the last digit. That way when you have to return something you will easily know it ..... or your wife will know it (make sure you tell her) and it won't/doesn't raise any eyebrows.

I have been doing this for years. It helps with returns, because they have them all lined up under my phone number with a higher last digit.

Typically they ask you for the phone number if you pay in cash that way they can track it in the event of a possible return ......... or some other big brother agenda, LOL.

I have Lowes and Home Depot ask for the number when I pay in cash and I automatically respond with (my special phone number that never changes) and then when/if I need to return something later, its very easy.

If you just give random numbers, which I was guilty of doing, and you ever have to return something and don't have a reciept or proof, it makes it much harder. Remembering the same number is much easier than making up one at the spur of the moment or getting into a %itch fest about them not needing to know it.

Sam

they're trackign what people buy based on zipcode and looking for patterns. With asid patterns they can target market that zip or even sell realestate to certain companies and prove that zip has a certain tendancy towards "X"

I went down to My local dealer to pick up a couple of loops of RSC chain .
The saleman puts the boxes on the counter and says ... "You have to sign this before I ring the sale up ." It's a form acknowledging that I'm aware of the fact that I'm not buying "low kickback "chain and that the chain could be dangerous ,or some words to that effect .
Have any of You had an experience like that ? I felt like laughing at the guy . But, then I considered the fact that they may have been in a lawsuit recently .
All in all ,it was a very strange experience .

Many many years ago already I had to sign for saw chain . We use to travel way up north for a while just to get the good chain from some old saw shops that serviced the loggers . Around here to get the good chain it had to be ordered, some wouldnt sell it to you at all , others would if you signed off on it , but none had it as stock and many still dont .

Latest posts

Back