XL-12 vs 455 Rancher

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deezle_dog

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am first time poster. I like the forum here, there is a lot of good info. I am looking at getting my dad a new saw for his birthday. He has been cutting with the same XL-12 for 20 years now, and his father passed it down to him. It is just worn out. I know I may be comparing apples to oranges here, but how does the 455 Rancher compare to an XL-12? I know the 455 has a larger displacement, but I haven't ran any new saws that the EPA has choked down.

Any info and advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
Deezle

XL-12's were a real trooper, unfortunetly you will not get that kind of life out of the 455, it's a residential grade saw. Spend a bit more and step up to the 346XP, it will cut circles around the 455

I have a 455 rancher the good points are it has bucket loads of torque and very little vibration the bad pionts are that its heavy (for its power) and has a small petrol tank i only get 20 mins per fill out of it. but i raced my mate who has a 350 both chains sharpened by myself cutting the same tree 15" cuts and i was doing 1 and 3/4 cuts for his 1 (i think he might buy it) it was a cheap saw £235 instead of £459 list price £399 if i haggled it was a usa import on ebay i now have a stihl 036 so the rancher never gets used but i would still reccomend it to a non hardcore user

I've never run a 455, but I have a lot of mileage on an old XL12.
The jump to any modern saw with AV is SWEET !!!

Looking at the 455 specs I'd say he would be very happy.

Yeah, the specs seem to show a decent saw. Does anyone know or estimate the horsepower of the xl-12?

The 455 I have is 2 years old and have over 100 hours on it and it hasn't stopped yet. It is heavy compared to others, but man, the torq vs. other saws I have and the saws my buddies have is noticeable. I do run more mix to a gallon though, 32:1 I guess. I did take off the caps on the needle valves and adjusted it to run richer, ( a must for any new saw ). It now 4 cycles occasionally when cutting, which it didn't when new. But 5 out of 5 stars. Spend the clams, he will be happy.

How difficult is it to adjust it to run richer? Everyone (exept EPA) seems to agree on this. I know that you have to take off the locking tabs. Do you adjust low and high only, or do you adjust all three?

A buddy of mine just bought a 455. I gave it a spin and it seemed like a great little saw for someone who is'nt gonna try to use it commercially, and is waaaay easier on ya then the ole XL12. I still have my dad's old Xl12 and I know the rath of that girl compared to the new saws....I think the 455 would be a great saw to update the homelite for your pop!:)

Take the cover off first. Remove the rubber boot that covers the idle screw and the needle valves. With long pointed needle nosed pliers gently pull the caps off. They are slid in and held in place by the rubber boot. Get it running and sawing and adjust accordingly. Repeat steps in reverse and you have a better tuned saw. (455 Rancher only)

Back