Y'all convinced me

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laroo

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Well I made my first apperance in the woods in 79, where I started out following the skidder around setting chokers in the small family owned logging buisness in Idaho where I grew up, I later graduated to my own saw and was given the task of limbing and keeping the landing cleaned up. That was when I started to think my name was (Hurry Up). Since that time I have been around the timber industry off and on, for short periods of time, and have allways cut my own firewood. In all of that time I had never seen a guy wear a pair of chaps, other than a few wildland firefighters that showed up to a fire on one of the ranches I was working on, (but hey those guys gotta wear all that crap if they want a job , right?) I finally pulled the trigger, my new pair of Labonville full wraps showed up from Bailey's today. I think they will be a good addition to my firewood tools, great fit, and long overdue.
My wife and kids thank you.

Good move, I never needed them either till I took 7 stitches to the knee last year now I won't run the saw without them on.

The bonus, at least here, is my wife always tells me how "hot" I look in mine. YMMV ;)

I just picked up my 1st set of chainsaw chaps last winter/early spring and have found them to be good for the occasional run of the weed eater when wearing shorts doing yard work.
I stubbornly finally caught on to the use of ear plugs, also.
It seems like safety gear is seriously lacking in these parts when I get to looking around at the other 'fire wood hacks" around here.
As much as I like to listen to "hi-fidelity stereo sound" one would think I should of took up hearing protection a long time ago. I also just got a pair of pretty good pair ear muffs I'll get in the habit of using.
But NO ONE around here wears ANY safety equipment when running a chain saw...I never even thought about it 'till I started reading about it on here. It's kinda nuts, really. I'm sure that once "cuttin' season rolls in around here a couple of the guys I know will poke fun and I'm just gonna let 'em laugh, knowing I"m covered.

Good post. I have been wearing chaps about 3yrs. to many close calls and ruined carhartts. The whole safety thing reminds me of nascar when dale earnhart died, look how fast changes took place after that happened. Cant stand nascar anymore but a good lesson none the less. We can change

Others are catching on as well. Firewood season is upon us here and our local firewood ministry met tonight to get ready. I offered to order to some chaps if folks would wear them -I left with six orders including one that we were told would never happen. :clap: Ron

I don't own any, but I'll never make fun of someone wearing them... heck, I've got the scars to prove what a really good idea they are. My latest didn't put a scar on me, but opened up the leather-covered, metal reinforced money clip I carry in my left front pocket.

So why don't I get a set?
Because I know me, and I wouldn't use 'em... at least not all the time.
Just like seat belts, safety glasses, or the guards on your table saw... if you don't use 'em every time...

Chaps are worn just like kilts. Just a cover. :cheers:

Oh but what a cover one is!!

Thats me in the middle at my best friends wedding, and the other is the " Highland" gathering!!:hmm3grin2orange::cheers:

Can you spot the token Englishman?

ill never cut without em again, early christmas present , not worth the chance, watch u tube will make a believer out of ya, anyone who dont wear them its only a matter of time

Latest posts

Back