Yard Machine splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where did you hear Tecumseh is out of business? www.tecumsehpower.com is operational and parts are readily available. I believe B&S acquired them after difficulties they had a few years back.

A splitter is not a complex piece of machinery. Though I avoid MTD products of any label (Yard Machines is a MTD brand), its getting harder all the time not to deal with them due to their acquisition strategy.

$700 is a good price for a splitter these days and even if you ended up spending $300 on a new engine at some point, its still a very good deal.

just had my ice augur worked on it has a tecumseh engine the guy who owns the shop gave told me he could be wrong but i still wouldnt buy another one always had trouble with it

just had my ice augur worked on it has a tecumseh engine the guy who owns the shop gave told me he could be wrong but i still wouldnt buy another one always had trouble with it

I always take what 'the guy at the shop' tells me with a grain of salt. They usually have high opinions of brands they sell and low opinions of brands they don't.

I have two pieces of equipment powered by Tecumseh. One has held up well and the other hasn't so much, but in its defense it has been beat like a red headed stepchild.

Personally, I'd save up my pennies for a non-MTD unit.

Have a place to store it? If so, buy it and enjoy it when you need to split wood. Tecumseh made a good engine and that splitter will last for years. :msp_smile:

My 6 year old Ariens snow blower has a 11 HP Tecumseh Snow King engine and it still starts on one pull 99% of the time. Runs great. I think they make a good engine.

Not even taking into condsideration price...does the yard machine splitter push the log into a wedge or is the wedge at the business end of the cylinder? Unless you have to go vertical, personally I wouldn't buy any splitter that did not have a push block (pushing the round into the wedge).
imo-

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies. They're helpful. This Yard Machine sold the next day. The seller said he had 14 hits on Craigs List. They sell fast in Calif. Here I'd have to buy a carb approved Huskee for $150.00 more. I may still go that route. I can will call it at TSC. The shipping runs around $350.00. A rental from Indio is $100.00 per day minimun.

PM Sent

Automaticman,

Check your PM - Sent info on where to look for a good deal on a Speeco splitter!

Where did you hear Tecumseh is out of business? www.tecumsehpower.com is operational and parts are readily available. I believe B&S acquired them after difficulties they had a few years back.

A splitter is not a complex piece of machinery. Though I avoid MTD products of any label (Yard Machines is a MTD brand), its getting harder all the time not to deal with them due to their acquisition strategy.

$700 is a good price for a splitter these days and even if you ended up spending $300 on a new engine at some point, its still a very good deal.

Tecumseh did I believe file for Chapter 11 or some type of bankruptcy protection a couple of years ago. That probably allowed them to stay in business, although they may be owned by someone else now.

Well now...
For you guys talkin'-down the Tecumseh engines here's a pair for ya'.

The little tractor carries an 11 horse that's well over 50-years-old.
It still starts right up at -10 degrees.

The splitter wears a 6.5 horse and it's been there at least 20-years.

And I can tell you I've destroyed many a Briggs engine on other equipment just in the time I've had these. I don't think I've even put a new spark plug in the tractor for over 10-years.

169367d1295743986-wh1-jpg

Well now...
For you guys talkin'-down the Tecumseh engines here's a pair for ya'.

The little tractor carries an 11 horse that's well over 50-years-old.
It still starts right up at -10 degrees.

The splitter wears a 6.5 horse and it's been there at least 20-years.

And I can tell you I've destroyed many a Briggs engine on other equipment just in the time I've had these. I don't think I've even put a new spark plug in the tractor for over 10-years.

169367d1295743986-wh1-jpg

That's an impressive feat for that old tractor! But I'll bet you wouldn't trade the motor out of it for a new Tecumseh off the shelf today...:laugh:

Tecumseh did in fact file for bankruptcy and completely shut down for good. No, B&S did not buy them. Some small investment company bought the rights to make parts, but as of this date, they have been unable to supply any amount of parts on a reliable basis. Most small engine repair shops have no source for Tech. parts and will not attempt to repair a Tech. engine if it needs parts. The most common parts needed are carb. parts, and those are just not available.
Oh, by the way, MTD stands for; MADE TO DISINTEGRATE
Jeff

Tecumseh did I believe file for Chapter 11 or some type of bankruptcy protection a couple of years ago. That probably allowed them to stay in business, although they may be owned by someone else now.

Latest posts

Back