Yeah, I'm bragging

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think more people should be doing this type of service for young people these days . It takes some time and guidance from you but it instills some values in young people that many seem not to have these days. A couple of young fellows have come and gone through the years through my life and they all seemed to bennifit from what I taught them as I could see potential in them but they were on the fast track to nowhere when they first began to hang around.They pulled up their socks and started to look after themselves and their tools and gear and now are making a living on their own instead of looking out between bars. LOL. Pioneerguy600

Very well put. My students would have benefited from an uncle-in-law like you. A kid I had my first year teaching 4th grade was just brought into our facility for murdering a man. He has really graduated to the big time...........Wonder what wood have happened if he had a dad or uncle who took time to guide and mentor him.....

My BIL's 14 year old started hanging around a lot. He said he wanted a WII or we or whatever it is. I told him to go to work. No jobs for a 14 year old was his reply. WRONG. Long story short! I let him use a old Snapper, with the advice, always do it right. He now has 6 yards he is taking care of. Bought his own used Bunton walk behind, and a used Echo weedeater. I gave him a 026 as long as he leaves it at my home along with PPE. Today he told me he was saving to get a small used Tractor. He hasn't mentioned the WII, He has lost over 30 lbs, and loves to be outside, and make his own money. Wonder what the heck happened to my BIL's genes here. I have got to enjoying him being around. I have drilled into his head so many times about taking care of his stuff he can repeat it from memory. He locks his tools up at my farm, and is very protective of them. I'm right proud of the kid. I don't mind helping him. Best of all he got a high and tight haircut, and wears a belt now. Now I'm drilling on Education or join the Navy. He showed me his savings acount book today. $461 bucks. He is trying.

outstanding post. you should be proud and you have a reason to brag. Good for you man.

Good for you, and him

This is a great story, and you should be proud. I am one of the luckiest guys that ever came along also. I had a stepson come into my life when I was 48 years old. He was 15 and a great kid. His mother and I had known each other long ago, fell in love and then because of distance grew apart. After 20 years we were reunited by a fishing trip to Oregon. He was part of the deal and encouraged his mother to move to Iowa. We hit it off great, he was the best kid I could have hoped for, thanks to his mothers influence, but knew nothing about "guy" stuff. I was able to show him how to change oil, paddle a canoe and kayak, drive, and get unstuck, and how to hunt, fish and saw wood. He is now 24 and works for a United States Senator. He is one of the best things that has ever happened to me. I could not love this kid more if he were my own flesh and blood. He is coming home this weekend and I am looking forward to seeing him. I know the pride that you must feel having a hand in helping a young man 'be all he can be" he sounds like he will be putting pressure on Bill Gates and Warren Buffet soon. Thanks for sharing. JR

totally awsome

but on a different note, i believe 14 is to young to be operating power equipment, this is seen by insurance companys and such. i think it good he is out working, i did it as a kid and think they all need good values as he has. i was up in trees trimming them at 16. hard work now will pay off in the future. around here kids stay inside and play on the pc or video games, when they get older they start getting into the bad things as they get "bored".

idle hands only creat mischief.

but on a different note, i believe 14 is to young to be operating power equipment, this is seen by insurance companys and such. i think it good he is out working, i did it as a kid and think they all need good values as he has. i was up in trees trimming them at 16. hard work now will pay off in the future. around here kids stay inside and play on the pc or video games, when they get older they start getting into the bad things as they get "bored".

idle hands only creat mischief.

14 is to old to start working 11 is when I began mowing, raking leaves
hauling hay was soon after and the one thing you never,never,never
told dad was: I am bored :laugh: Way to go to the original poster
straightening out youth is our job and responsibility.

Kind of shows you that the real problem with "todays kids" is actually "todays parents". Kids need guidance, and they can't learn without someone taking the time to teach them.

And whether or not the kid is capable of running power equipment at 14 is, and should be, up to someone like bobbyb13, not "the insurance companies".

To me it takes patience, as we know they wfu but if you can show
them they are a part of something they learn quick. My grand baby
has already helped me work the grapple, drive the tractor and he is 4!
He wanted a hard hat and plastic chainsaw for his b day and you can't
imagine my feelings. If he truly does take interest later in life he will have
a job and take it over at some point. I actually hope he gears more toward
school though!

I like this kid already. Don't send him into the Marines or the forces, that is for the dumb-asses that can't find work. This kid is already an businessman thanks to your support. Have him hire another kid that he trusts, get a few more customers. Don't let his work interfere with his education. By the time he is done high-school he will have a thriving little business and eventually become a millionaire. Education is important, I am a Mechanical Engineer, but if I would have started thinking like him at 14,...wow. We need more guys like you around, giving kids money erodes their foundations, you have given this kid both a lesson and a means to buy what he wants. Excellent.

Both sides of my family were farmers,heck by the time I was 14 I was driving tractors doing fieldwork ,hauling with trucks,cutting firewood,running a saw all day,and had a side job mowing a cemetery, My stepson is 15 and his interests seem to be sleep and video games,so I .........:bang:

Both sides of my family were farmers,heck by the time I was 14 I was driving tractors doing fieldwork ,hauling with trucks,cutting firewood,running a saw all day,and had a side job mowing a cemetery, My stepson is 15 and his interests seem to be sleep and video games,so I .........:bang:

Quit washing his clothes and calling him to dinner and making it easy for him to get away with the prince syndrome! They must learn somewhere better with people that care than the real world that don't!

I guess what pi$$es me off is the kid is extremely smart,high honor role etc. but I have to just about pull teeth to get him to help around here,when he does get going he does fine I've even taken him on a couple small tree jobs,pulling brush running the ropes,he can do well when he wants to,but its few and far in between,just has no motivation,and wants wants wants, then I get b1tchen he cries to mommy,and the wife gets mad and I'm back to .........:bang:

Last edited:
I guess what pi$$es me off is the kid is extremely smart,high honor role etc. but I have to just about pull teeth to get him to help around here,when he does get going he does fine I've even taken him on a couple small tree jobs,pulling brush running the ropes,he can do well when he wants to,but its few and far in between,just has no motivation,and wants wants wants, then I get b1tchen he cries to mommy,and the wife gets mad and I'm back to .........:bang:

Sounds like mommy needs a spanking:laugh: Just be carefull
the last time I got mine we broke some furniture, but I did
bend her over and swat her! It greatly improved our relationship
might not work on all though! I am not advocating abuse but a
firm spanking will do wanders for the behavior patterns that I
cannot live with!

Last edited:
First solve the Mommy problem, then solve the lazy kid problem. If Mommy cares about him, she will understand what you are trying to do for him.

Quit washing his clothes and calling him to dinner and making it easy for him to get away with the prince syndrome! They must learn somewhere better with people that care than the real world that don't!

Oh believe me I agree,but I'm just getting to the point where I just say f@ck it,I just end up mad and if I give him crap then the wife gets mad,he's her baby and he plays it for all he can,gets us fighting and he smiles and gets out of it.
Half of his trouble is his older brother,we don't get along, he washes dishes at the bar where his brother cooks at times,I know hes bad mouthing me to him,
he is the same way screws up no matter what he does,even got an dishonorable discharge from the marines :angry2:

Oh believe me I agree,but I'm just getting to the point where I just say f@ck it,I just end up mad and if I give him crap then the wife gets mad,he's her baby and he plays it for all he can,gets us fighting and he smiles and gets out of it.
Half of his trouble is his older brother,we don't get along, he washes dishes at the bar where his brother cooks at times,I know hes bad mouthing me to him,
he is the same way screws up no matter what he does,even got an dishonorable discharge from the marines :angry2:
Ok I have to revise my opinion. Get a HOT girlfriend with no kids and like Bruce Springsteen said, "I went out for a drive, and I never came back....."

Back