Yeah, I'm bragging

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh believe me I agree,but I'm just getting to the point where I just say f@ck it,I just end up mad and if I give him crap then the wife gets mad,he's her baby and he plays it for all he can,gets us fighting and he smiles and gets out of it.
Half of his trouble is his older brother,we don't get along, he washes dishes at the bar where his brother cooks at times,I know hes bad mouthing me to him,
he is the same way screws up no matter what he does,even got an dishonorable discharge from the marines :angry2:
If the kid is still on speaking terms with you take him down to skid row
and let him see where not working will get you don't point it out just
let him see. Take him fishing ,hunting etc. there are ways to perk his
trust and interest and then get him into the work the same way. It's
a hard spot you are in and let him know that and that you want to do
the best for him but it is his choice!

Ok I have to revise my opinion. Get a HOT girlfriend with no kids and like Bruce Springsteen said, "I went out for a drive, and I never came back....."

LOL,I love my wife,shes a good woman and brought up 3 kids by mostly by herself because their father was a total POS and bailed on them no contact with the kids no support,maybe its genetic the older son looks just like his father too,:chainsaw:

There are LOTS of good kids out there. Most just need some guidance, direction, and someone to give a #### and take the time to help them out. Single moms, dual income families, dads who go to work and dont have a clue what a drain plug or fishing plug is. If you take the time to notice a kid like this, and give up a little, you can gain tremendously. The Big Brothers/Sisters program is a great opportunity to be matched up with one of these kids. Hell, they let a chainsaw wielding, tractor driving, gun totin person like me spend time with kids, and they thought it was the greatest time of their lives. Somebody somewhere along the way took the time to show you how to do things. Dad, grampa, neighbor, first guy to give you a job. You can always pass that knowledge along to someone else to pay it back.

The biggest thing your probably going to give up is time.

If the kid is still on speaking terms with you take him down to skid row
and let him see where not working will get you don't point it out just
let him see. Take him fishing ,hunting etc. there are ways to perk his
trust and interest and then get him into the work the same way. It's
a hard spot you are in and let him know that and that you want to do
the best for him but it is his choice!

Well I figure what goes around...........
he'll be 16 next month and wanting his drivers license and a car

I like this kid already. Don't send him into the Marines or the forces, that is for the dumb-asses that can't find work. This kid is already an businessman thanks to your support. Have him hire another kid that he trusts, get a few more customers. Don't let his work interfere with his education. By the time he is done high-school he will have a thriving little business and eventually become a millionaire. Education is important, I am a Mechanical Engineer, but if I would have started thinking like him at 14,...wow. We need more guys like you around, giving kids money erodes their foundations, you have given this kid both a lesson and a means to buy what he wants. Excellent.

I like much of what you're posted, but is there really a need to make the blanket statement that the armed forces are for dumb-asses? I've known a lot of guys that would have been dumb asses or incarcerated if not for the forces. Just seems like unnecessary disrespect in an othewise uplifting topic.

Well I figure what goes around...........
he'll be 16 next month and wanting his drivers license and a car

Yeah but really if you are wanting to have a good relationship a
less authoritative approach may help you more! I do agree with
he needs to earn the driving privilege but to try and hold it over his
head just feeds the fire. You are in a hard spot, being a step is not easy
and I feel for ya but approach with a child is everything.

There are LOTS of good kids out there. Most just need some guidance, direction, and someone to give a #### and take the time to help them out. Single moms, dual income families, dads who go to work and dont have a clue what a drain plug or fishing plug is. If you take the time to notice a kid like this, and give up a little, you can gain tremendously. The Big Brothers/Sisters program is a great opportunity to be matched up with one of these kids. Hell, they let a chainsaw wielding, tractor driving, gun totin person like me spend time with kids, and they thought it was the greatest time of their lives. Somebody somewhere along the way took the time to show you how to do things. Dad, grampa, neighbor, first guy to give you a job. You can always pass that knowledge along to someone else to pay it back.

The biggest thing your probably going to give up is time.

I've been married to his mom for going on 8 yrs now and tried.
I've taken him fishing,shooting tried to get him interested in turning a wrench,I do all my own mechanical work,welding,built my own garage,trucks,I could go in the woods with the clothes on my back and a knife as long as I had too,but these kids have a hard time surviving a day without a cel phone or tv

I like much of what you're posted, but is there really a need to make the blanket statement that the armed forces are for dumb-asses? I've known a lot of guys that would have been dumb asses or incarcerated if not for the forces. Just seems like unnecessary disrespect in an othewise uplifting topic.
I apologize, it was a little nasty. I just have such high-hopes for this kid. He has tasted success in his own little business. That is seed that needs to be planted and watered.

The shame is you and your wife are on different pages if the both of
you could come together on issues progress could be made! Family
counseling can help sometimes anyway what do I know!

Yeah but really if you are wanting to have a good relationship a
less authoritative approach may help you more! I do agree with
he needs to earn the driving privilege but to try and hold it over his
head just feeds the fire. You are in a hard spot, being a step is not easy
and I feel for ya but approach with a child is everything.

You are right about that Rope i do tend to let it get me to the point where I get to pi$$ed and then go off at times,I realize hes at a tough age too,but too when he gets all cocky and mouths off or tries to act like hes tough,(hes grown like a ft in the last year he's 6'2" now and 15, I'm 5' 9" )I just want to throw his azz through a wall

You are right about that Rope i do tend to let it get me to the point where I get to pi$$ed and then go off at times,I realize hes at a tough age too,but too when he gets all cocky and mouths off or tries to act like hes tough,(hes grown like a ft in the last year he's 6'2" now and 15, I'm 5' 9" )I just want to throw his azz through a wall

The more you mention the better I feel about my life. The mouth off
stuff I can't take very well but few try that with me I guess its my
lazy eye that scares them :laugh: You have 8 years with these kids
any good? Hope you can claim victory it is harder to be a step for sure.
Your own get the I brought ya into this world speech followed by strong
and swift punishment. Today I am thankful for the azwhippins my dad handed out.

He only tried the standing up to me a couple times and one time did try tangling ,thinking he was all tall and tough and he used to wrestle in school,well that didnt work out too well for him,I'm 45 but tough enough and still fast,he figured that out after a couple minutes and I took him off his feet and had him pinned down and eating lawn ;)

sorry for the hijacked thread

anyhow thanks for the advice and sorry for the rant,guess I needed to vent,got on here to check my e-mail and ...............whoops, lol got to get back to work,my chip truck needs spring bushings and they probably wont go on by themselves,lol

congrats!

My BIL's 14 year old started hanging around a lot. He said he wanted a WII or we or whatever it is. I told him to go to work. No jobs for a 14 year old was his reply. WRONG. Long story short! I let him use a old Snapper, with the advice, always do it right. He now has 6 yards he is taking care of. ................ He is trying.

sounds like your doing a good job and got a a good kid there!:clap:

You should brag!!!

My BIL's 14 year old started hanging around a lot. He said he wanted a WII or we or whatever it is. I told him to go to work. No jobs for a 14 year old was his reply. WRONG. Long story short! I let him use a old Snapper, with the advice, always do it right. He now has 6 yards he is taking care of. Bought his own used Bunton walk behind, and a used Echo weedeater. I gave him a 026 as long as he leaves it at my home along with PPE. Today he told me he was saving to get a small used Tractor. He hasn't mentioned the WII, He has lost over 30 lbs, and loves to be outside, and make his own money. Wonder what the heck happened to my BIL's genes here. I have got to enjoying him being around. I have drilled into his head so many times about taking care of his stuff he can repeat it from memory. He locks his tools up at my farm, and is very protective of them. I'm right proud of the kid. I don't mind helping him. Best of all he got a high and tight haircut, and wears a belt now. Now I'm drilling on Education or join the Navy. He showed me his savings acount book today. $461 bucks. He is trying.

You should be bragging, that is fantastic. Hard work and good morals never hurt a soul!!! I wish more kids had your kind of influence in their lives.

He only tried the standing up to me a couple times and one time did try tangling ,thinking he was all tall and tough and he used to wrestle in school,well that didnt work out too well for him,I'm 45 but tough enough and still fast,he figured that out after a couple minutes and I took him off his feet and had him pinned down and eating lawn ;)

He's 15?

Kind of shows you that the real problem with "todays kids" is actually "todays parents". Kids need guidance, and they can't learn without someone taking the time to teach them.

And whether or not the kid is capable of running power equipment at 14 is, and should be, up to someone like bobbyb13, not "the insurance companies".

Ya +1

I had a kid in 4th grade my first year teaching, and he was a big annoying goofball who couldn't read well or do basic math. He adored me for some reason, and I had him for two years. He gave a great defense of the Second Amendment when we debated the Bill of Rights in 5th grade. 6 years later I get a letter from him, telling me I was his favorite teacher, and so forth. Now I am mentoring him, we hang out, we go hunting, etc. He got his first deer last December, (I had the privilege of sharing that experience with him), and he is actually a very upstanding 16 yr. old. I don't know how he managed to develop such integrity, given the slackers who are the "adults" in his life. Kind of a miracle.

Ya +1

I had a kid in 4th grade my first year teaching, and he was a big annoying goofball who couldn't read well or do basic math. He adored me for some reason, and I had him for two years. He gave a great defense of the Second Amendment when we debated the Bill of Rights in 5th grade. 6 years later I get a letter from him, telling me I was his favorite teacher, and so forth. Now I am mentoring him, we hang out, we go hunting, etc. He got his first deer last December, (I had the privilege of sharing that experience with him), and he is actually a very upstanding 16 yr. old. I don't know how he managed to develop such integrity, given the slackers who are the "adults" in his life. Kind of a miracle.

I say that you took him under your wing, (or he feels that way), and you gave him some guidance, and that is what he is wanting. Maybe that is why the slackers haven't had as big of an impact on him. Just a thought:)

Latest posts

Back