Yeah, I'm bragging

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kids are a pain in the A. Don't have any use for them. My 2 are in Germany with my ex and I haven't seen them for 7 or 8 years. I reckon they'd be 12 and 14 now. I send support monthly, just upped it voluntarily because the dollar is so weak over there and the ex- said it was getting hard to make ends meet. BUT, I'm counting the days till I can call my check my own again. 6 years to go. I've heard it called "The screwing you get for the screwing you got" and I figure that's about right.

Ian

Kids are a pain in the A. Don't have any use for them. My 2 are in Germany with my ex and I haven't seen them for 7 or 8 years. I reckon they'd be 12 and 14 now. I send support monthly, just upped it voluntarily because the dollar is so weak over there and the ex- said it was getting hard to make ends meet. BUT, I'm counting the days till I can call my check my own again. 6 years to go. I've heard it called "The screwing you get for the screwing you got" and I figure that's about right.

Ian

Good god! You're complaining about taking on YOUR SELF IMPOSED OBLIGATIONS? You are taking no part in the work involved with raising these children, yet you think you're being screwed. I have a word for guys like you, but I can't use it here.

Yep... the word for guys like me is the "check's on time every month like clockwork". Hasn't been late since working out the postal thing when I went to work in Japan for a couple years. I upped the amount then too voluntarily since I was making more there. Now I electronically transfer it and it's usually a week early.

It's a sight better than some who refuse to support their offspring. I'm just looking forward to it all coming to an end.

Reminds me of a meatloaf song, "Paradise by the dashboard lights"

I couldn't take it any longer
Lord I was crazed
And when the feeling came upon me
Like a tidal wave
I started swearing to my god
And on my mother's grave
That I would love you to the end of time
I swore I would love you to the end of time

So now I'm praying for the end of time
To hurry up and arrive

'Cause if I gotta spend another minute with you
I don't think that I can really survive
I'll never break my promise or forget my vow
But God only knows what I can do right now
I'm praying for the end of time
So I can end my time with you

Ian

Last edited:
Would you like to give me a plane ticket to Germany? Add on some cash for a passport, rental car, a hotel, and a translator so I can communicate with them. If that's agreeable, I'll PM you my addy and save some vacation to go next year.

Ian

Would you like to give me a plane ticket to Germany? Add on some cash for a passport, rental car, a hotel, and a translator so I can communicate with them. If that's agreeable, I'll PM you my addy and save some vacation to go next year.

Ian

What use would it serve?

Kids are a pain in the A. Don't have any use for them.

Well Ol Space, I guess you got me there... It would be a waste of your money wouldn't it. It's your money tho and I miss Jaeger Schitzel and pommes so the offer still stands if you are up to it... LOL Just say the word ol buddy.

Ian

That's great. Never underestimate a kid that has a goal and someone to show him how to get there. Told my 11 year old if he wanted a dirt bike he had to earn some money other than doing his chores he's supposed to do anyway. Long story short with the snow retreating from the ditches he went out to pick cans in the ditch. Ended up rescuing him to haul out 3 truck loads one Saturday and 250$ now he's got me taking him out with the rhino and trailer( he pays gas)

Sounds like this young man will not have D.D.D. (Discipline Deficit Disorder) when he gets older!

Yeah, I think he will actually be OK. Praise God. Sometimes I get impatient with him because he demands a lot of attention, but then I hafta remember what is at stake here. I do have a lifelong friend, I believe. It is fun watching him grow up. He is a fine young man. Soon we'll go cut wood together.......

I apologize, it was a little nasty. I just have such high-hopes for this kid. He has tasted success in his own little business. That is seed that needs to be planted and watered.

Phew! Glad you posted that. I was about to light into your @$$. You've obviously never been around a U.S. Special Forces unit. Tough hombres with brains. No dummies in those units.

Actually, mine are not a pain in the azz at all. They're in Germany. The ones that I actually have to interact with occasionally are the ones that are the pain. Other people's kids. You know.. my kids are angels, get your brats away from them.

Finally! Someone made the "cost of your saws" analogy. I'm just kinda disappointed that ol' Spacey didn't step up to the plate. I was just waiting on it. :clap:

LOL
Ian

Good for him, and good on you!!

Vet Army here. Navy is a great career move, drill into him that he wants to be an officer so he can learn managment and he should serve overseas so he can get into international trade.

Then forget school, teach him to invest. Rentals, Stocks, Real Estate.

Rich Dad, Poor Dad -- check it out.

Abe

My BIL's 14 year old started hanging around a lot. He said he wanted a WII or we or whatever it is. I told him to go to work. No jobs for a 14 year old was his reply. WRONG. Long story short! I let him use a old Snapper, with the advice, always do it right. He now has 6 yards he is taking care of. Bought his own used Bunton walk behind, and a used Echo weedeater. I gave him a 026 as long as he leaves it at my home along with PPE. Today he told me he was saving to get a small used Tractor. He hasn't mentioned the WII, He has lost over 30 lbs, and loves to be outside, and make his own money. Wonder what the heck happened to my BIL's genes here. I have got to enjoying him being around. I have drilled into his head so many times about taking care of his stuff he can repeat it from memory. He locks his tools up at my farm, and is very protective of them. I'm right proud of the kid. I don't mind helping him. Best of all he got a high and tight haircut, and wears a belt now. Now I'm drilling on Education or join the Navy. He showed me his savings acount book today. $461 bucks. He is trying.

That lad is a success and likely will be all of his life. God bless you for taking him under your wing :clap:

a bucket of cold water...................

Both sides of my family were farmers,heck by the time I was 14 I was driving tractors doing fieldwork ,hauling with trucks,cutting firewood,running a saw all day,and had a side job mowing a cemetery, My stepson is 15 and his interests seem to be sleep and video games,so I .........:bang:

and a trip with the video game to the gun range should cure both of those problems.

that is an awesome story,you have given him lessons no school can teach,it sounds like the "young man"...I call him that for a reason,will be a success in whatever he undertakes in life.:clap:

Took time to read it all.

My BIL has seemly no interrest in Kevin. I preach to Kevin, He is your Dad respect him for that. My own dealings with my BIL have not been good, so I'll just leave it at that. I did not do that much, he wanted to learn stuff, he wanted money, I just pointed out to him there were a lot of odd jobs that people paid to have done. Just DO IT RIGHT, BE HONEST. He has made some mistakes, and been taken a few times. He is impressed by Matt and Josh, My boys and what they have. The sad part is my BIL could give a crap less where he is. Most of the time he is working, or eating me out of house and home, but that is OK by me. When he started wearing his jeans like a man, and lost the long hair, I started to respect him. He has tractor and truck fever bad. I think we have a winner here. I am still drilling school and grades into him. Hope this takes also. As for the military, that is where I got most of my Education. The opportunity is there, if you will take advantage of it. I think maybe I answered all the questions. Kevin has read this thread about 10times, and said to thank all of you for the encouragement.
Bob

sounds familiar, but....

Both sides of my family were farmers,heck by the time I was 14 I was driving tractors doing fieldwork ,hauling with trucks,cutting firewood,running a saw all day,and had a side job mowing a cemetery, My stepson is 15 and his interests seem to be sleep and video games,so I .........:bang:

I tried to get my son to be a better farm type worker, not that I ever figured he'd end up doing that, just for the life experience. He always seemed to end up back at those damned video games. Also couldn't get him to do homework. He got B's and C's in school without it, so he didn't try any harder. Never gave up on him, but came close. I was afraid he would fail in college because he was so lazy.
Now he is finishing up his Freshman year in college. Made the Dean's list. Enrolled in pre-med. In his spare time he takes nurses aid course and EMT training for med-school application padding. He proved me wrong and I couldn't be happier.
I guess he just blew off high school and decided he would bear down in college and he's doing it.
My daughter is 2 years younger and gets A's in high school, but she's stressed out all the time because of it. My fear with her is she will burn out. She also plans on pre-med. Ironically, I wish she would be more like my son.
I guess my point is, don't give up on 'em. Just because they aren't like us doesn't mean they are doing it wrong. And they very well may change.

Latest posts

Back