Yikes! Broke Plug & Bent Handlebar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Todd W

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
So this happened yesterday!
spark-plyug.jpg

Along with a bent handlebar where I can barely get my fingers wrapped around.

Working in a wooded area of my property and I went back to unload a bucket load of rounds out of my Kubuta M59, come back to park to load up some more rounds and my brother had set the saw right where we've been parking, and it was so wooded I couldn't see the wood pile completely let alone the saw on the ground in front. Drove right up onto the handlebar and then every so slightly onto the case that pushed into the spark plug and broke it off, I heard the crack and backed up instantly, thought it was just the wood I hit but then my saw emerged as I tweaked my head around some limbs to look.

At first we thought it was just a bent handlebar and were going to use it to finish the job but after refueling the saw and a couple pulls we noticed flames coming out of the exhaust... that didn't seem right, not liquid gas running anywhere but fumes igniting outside the exhaust port. Take off the top cover and the thing was arcing and igniting the rich mixture every other pull it seemed like.

Luckily my 346xpg was ready to go so we finished up the day with that.

I need to dig into it more today, but if all my 9000lb tractor did was bend the handlebar then I'm amazed how damn strong those handlebars are!

I got lucky and completely missed the chain/bar as it ramped onto the handlebar so the chain still free spins, compression is still there, hopefully just this plug+ handlebar!!

Lesson learned, always teach someone who's using your saw to put it by a stump or tree as you do so things like this don't happen :) Luckily it occurred at end of day after we'd already bucked about 2 cords of Oak.

Thats tough...

I had a huge spruce fall on my 550xp a year and a half ago. Did so much damage it became a parts saw when I stopped at the Husky dealership on the way home and replaced it. First time in almost 30 years of logging I did something that stupid.

Thinking on it again, it may be more likely that the tire on the tractor missed the saw but the axle itself or knuckle on the axle went across as the handlebar dent is weird/uneven for a tire.

I am double-lucky that this part of the forest has really thick ground cover too so the saw sunk in a good 2-3".

Latest posts

Back