You got to love this Stihl 440!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlasKarl

In pursuit of happiness
Reaction score
She is a real joy to take to the woods :)

Guests are coming next week, I supply the firewood, they bring steaks, tators and wine.

010_2_3-1.jpg

014_3_2.jpg

022_4_2.jpg

027_6_1.jpg

Y'all have a wonderful evening!

and that is y i want to go to alaska for a couple years.....but i bet i wouldn't come back. what sort of work do you do up there if u don't mind me asking?

Was just going to ask if those were AK mtns in the back but then I scrolled up and saw your location - beautiful pics. My brother is a big game guide up there for Dahl sheep, goat, etc. and I'm envious of the views. What bar do you have on that saw and how does it pull it?

Life doesn't get much better than that.... a good saw, a boat load of wood, life on the river, and a good shorthair. :clap:

Enjoy the friends, steaks, and wine my friend those are surly the times you'll tell storys about when your old. :cheers:

They're all great pictures, but I really, really like this one:

022_4_2.jpg

Nicely done! :clap: :clap:

Kevin

Those are beautiful pictures. Thanks for sharing. Some day hopefully i'll make the trip. What part of Alaska are u located?

Thanks for the pics. I went to Alaska for 2 weeks in my 20's to fish for Kings and Halibut in the Kenai Peninsula. Some of the best times in my life. I envy your life style.

Thank y'all!

Thank y'all for your kind remarks. Alaska is quite a pretty state, rain or shine. And rain we had a lot this summer. It is 33 degrees F this morning, fall is here, I love it, my favorite time of year.

I am in the Southern portion of the Alaska Range.

To all who contemplate "coming up", there is lots of work up here for those who want to work. Good paying jobs, too. Cost of living has gone up considerably, gas prices being the most expensive in the Unites States I believe. And living in the bush is a whole different story, now you are paying a whole lot more than in town. The legislature just signed a $1,200 energy subsidy for every Alaskan, as heating prices have escalated. Come to think of it, that would buy me a Stihl 880 :) But I think I am set with my 440, and then there is always the 076 :)

As for the camera I am using; it's a Canon A85, 4.0 Megapixel, she is close to 4 years old now. If I was in he market for a new one, I would buy a Canon http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8739966&type=product&id=1202429847854, $179, that's a good price for a 8.0 Megapixel camera. This camera you can use with one hand, it's buttons are big enough for my farmers hands to use. Maybe I should buy it and a 880 :)

The 440 I bought 4 years ago, and I really enjoy working with it! Currently I am running her with with a 20 inch bar, that's ideal for my conditions at this time of year. And there is some power to spare :) But rather this way than the other way around.

Now I have another cup of coffee, and then another one, then I take my dog and we tackle another day in good spirits.

Y'all have a wonderful day!

Last edited:
Thank y'all for your kind remarks. Alaska is quite a pretty state, rain or shine. And rain we had a lot this summer. It is 33 degrees F this morning, fall is here, I love it, my favorite time of year.

I am in the Southern portion of the Alaska Range.

To all who contemplate "coming up", there is lots of work up here for those who want to work. Good paying jobs, too. Cost of living has gone up considerably, gas prices being the most expensive in the Unites States I believe. And living in the bush is a whole different story, now you are paying a whole lot more than in town. The legislature just signed a $1,200 energy subsidy for every Alaskan, as heating prices have escalated. Come to think of it, that would buy me a Stihl 880 :) But I think I am set with my 440, and then there is always the 076 :)

As for the camera I am using; it's a Canon A85, 4.0 Megapixel, she is close to 4 years old now. If I was in he market for a new one, I would buy a Canon http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8739966&type=product&id=1202429847854, $179, that's a good price for a 8.0 Megapixel camera. This camera you can use with one hand, it's buttons are big enough for my farmers hands to use. Maybe I should buy it and a 880 :)

The 440 I bought 4 years ago, and I really enjoy working with it! Currently I am running her with with a 20 inch bar, that's ideal for my conditions at this time of year. And there is some power to spare :) But rather this way than the other way around.

Now I have another cup of coffee, and then another one, then I take my dog and we tackle another day in good spirits.

Y'all have a wonderful day!

is there much logging going on in your area? is the timber very big?

wow....33 degrees!!! that is fantastic!! it started off at a cool 73 this morning.....and only topped out at around 87 today since we had a cold front pass last night.....yesterday it was pushing 100 with a 106-108 heat index......come'on fall!!

Back