You know you heat with wood when.....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
when you wonder if it's bad etiquette to cut and haul home a load of wood while up north deer hunting. Well, is it? Need an answer before Saturday...

I'm thinking etiquette is whatever the man who just quit smoking, and is now in the north woods equipped with a chainsaw and a rifle says it is.

:biggrin:

...when you wonder if it's bad etiquette to cut and haul home a load of wood while up north deer hunting. Well, is it? Need an answer before Saturday...

I hope so.. i cut a load of wood during the day and hunt in the evening right before dark.. or right at sun rise..
Every time i head out.. the saws and tools are in there waiting to be used. :msp_thumbup: Saws don't scare deer away...

You know your a wood burner when the first place you clear snow is from the shop door to the wood pile then around the wood shed. THEN you clean the wives parking spot and the walk to the front door.. :hmm3grin2orange: I got the evil eye for this today..:msp_tongue:

you have passed up a hunting or fishing trip to cut and split wood.

You open the doors and windows during the winter to cool the house off

Your saw costs more than your fiancee's engagement ring

You have more money invested in saws,files, splitter, chains etc.. than a brand new truck costs

Jeff

When you hear your older child explaining to the younger who just started 1st grade that "although all of the work you do at school is beautiful, there is only so much room on the fridge, and construction paper starts a really good fire.

when you hear that dreaded sound of the furnace, you immediately go downstairs to make sure it is only the hot water, not a zone heating

you save a trash bag of christmas wrapping paper in the garage, b/c it is already balled up and will start the fire for the rest of the season

did that this morning :laugh:

Do it every day!!

You know you heat with wood when...

you open the back door to let a little heat out and the neighbor's chickens wander in to get warm and surf a little ArboristSite with your husband.

attachment.php

You spend Saturday evening in the basement sharpening chains, in your swim trunks, with cold frosty beverages close at hand and AS up on the computer across the room.

5 freshly sharpened chains, one beverage per chain, got one cold one left for the end of the night check of AS.

Window above computer is open, BTW, 19°F outside, somewhere above 80 down here.

You can never get that dang tailgate up on the first swing without raking all the wood chips out first..

Yeah, I hate that.

Corollary, you know you heat with wood if you read, enjoy, and relate to 11 pages devoted to this question.

We supplement with oil (70 gals ea. NH winter) but haven't bought in years. Yikes, that stuff is expensive! Up like 50% since last buy. Don't know how non-woodburners do it

Yeah, I hate that.

Corollary, you know you heat with wood if you read, enjoy, and relate to 11 pages devoted to this question.

We supplement with oil (70 gals ea. NH winter) but haven't bought in years. Yikes, that stuff is expensive! Up like 50% since last buy. Don't know how non-woodburners do it

Good to see ya again 'booga! Haven't seen ya in a bit...UncleFacialHair has been draggin your name thru the mud quite a bit...

Lose the friggin tailgate and ya fellas won't have that problem again. Just stack one row on the back and you're good, use a ratchet strap across it if John Law might question it. Don't even try to tell me you make your saws ride in the back, we know that don't happen on AS. My 7300 is learning to drive, so I can get a nap on the way to the woods!

Good to see ya again 'booga! Haven't seen ya in a bit...UncleFacialHair has been draggin your name thru the mud quite a bit...

Lose the friggin tailgate and ya fellas won't have that problem again. Just stack one row on the back and you're good, use a ratchet strap across it if John Law might question it. Don't even try to tell me you make your saws ride in the back, we know that don't happen on AS. My 7300 is learning to drive, so I can get a nap on the way to the woods!

Just enough room behind the seat for johnnyred and my little 210, which is perfect for the 3-6" pine I'm focused on now that the hardwood is up in the barn.

Uncle who? Is he an AS member?:msp_confused:

Yeah, I hate that.

It's so cool to see how much alike we all are!!

Another corollary: You know you heat with wood when you have to bite your tongue when your neighbors are complaining about their fuel bills and you don't want to rub their noses in yours...wait a minute...WHAT FUEL BILL?? :msp_wink:

Another corollary: You know you heat with wood when the oil in your tank is so old, the oil left in it is evaporated. Be careful if you open that tank, Booga! Nasty fumes!

When you shoot a good buck and it happens to land next to a pile of split wood that still needs hauled to the house. Retrieve the deer w/ quad and trailer only to decide to load up the trailer w/ the wood (since your there) before throwing the deer on top. Only to find out that my father and I couldn't get the deer up on top of the load of wood. Had to make a second trip to get the deer.

Back