You'all in the east may need snowblowers & shovels

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CGC4200

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
It looks like the white stuff may get deep.
We had an ice storm last year; no electricity for 2 weeks or longer.
I hope you pull through it OK, we did, but it was a major PITA.

In this region, if it's under 2ft, nothing will be closed. There could be 5ft and some schools in Rochester would still be open.

We're used to it round here, lol. Virginia is a different story. A friend of mine lives down there and he said just a quarter inch of snow and they're in a state of emergency.

I like the snow. Let it pile up I say. :cheers:

Yep, Iam in south jersey and a 24 inch + is predicted for this area. I have my trusty old 16 hp craftsman ready to get a work out with the plow hooked up. I have an old snow blower as a back-up which I will need if the snow gets too deep. I have a JD 316 in mint condition but I am still in the process of installing a second wet line to angle and raise a plow so it will have to sit this one out. The old craftsman is a 1979 model with a manual plow lift and clutch. It really gives me a work out also from maually lifting the plow with left arm lever and the clutch is depressed a 100 times during snow removal so my bad leg gets pretty sore. I have 4 generators on stand-by, 3 deisel and one gas job, I salvaged them from going into a dumpster for scrap, got them all running. I think it is going to really bad and cripple the town I live in. I have plenty of chain saws ready to go also just incase one of many big oaks decide to lay over. have a good one.

Im in the middle of it here in VA, this isnt the worst thing in the world. I dont see things as a "state of emergency" but whatever lol. im shacked up in the house right now just enjoying the heat and not worried about a damn thing at the moment lol

DC shuts down once the ground turns white.

Here it takes close to a foot to close schools or slow down everyday life.

yep,, just started here,, i have enough wood in teh house for the weekend,, and the snow blower is ready to go,,, its winter,, its supposed to snow!!!!!!!!!

NWS sat. images

I just looked at National Weather Service sat. images.
Looks like you are going to have a big'un.

My step brother lives outside of DC, and he's the only one in his housing development that owns a snowblower, it's a little single stage 2 cycle Toro.
His neighbors all laugh at him for having it, but in times like this, he's the only one not shoveling.

DC shuts down once the ground turns white.

Here it takes close to a foot to close schools or slow down everyday life.

LOL!!!
Yeah, it's odd that most folks in woodenshoeville drive the same in 10" of snow, as they do in mid July. No turn signals, pull out in front of ya constantly, Brake 1/2 a mile before they turn and STILL come to a complete stop even if traffic is clear, turn into oncoming traffic while looking the other way.. Nope, snow dosn't even phase 'em! :cheers:

What is amazing is the accidents are few compared to places like the 'Zoo where they spas the hell out over 6" of slop. LOL!!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

For a change we're too far north to be affected by this one.
WoodChucker81's right. Takes a lot to shut our area down.
What cracks me up is they'll shut schools down when the wind chill hits some magic low. But the students are getting bused!

It takes a blizzard to shut us down up here on the border. Looks like it will miss us though.

Well I got this morning and it is still coming down and looks like about 18 inches out there right now. They are still forecasting my area (just north of Vineland NJ) for up to 24 inches +. As it is now my two wheel drive tractor probably will not be able to handle the snow so it looks like I will have to use the snow blower. Have to get the first 18 inches off now before it gets too deep for anything I have to remove it. One year I waited too long and while pushing the snow down the driveway I buried it and then blew both drive belts out trying to get it out.

Something tells me the Mid Atlantic will be getting hit the worst...

Last year we had a huge ice storm in Worcester...We have 3 offices in between here and there, so us all were the first to get in it..

Big trees out there compared to the Cape...Dangerous work....Very cold....

I've got a sister in Maryland and a brother in Virginia. They've got more snow than us and I'm in Rochester.

Latest posts

Back