Your favorite Poulan model under 80cc

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am sure that AK model is a strong one. I have run some of those AK saws and they are strong runners. One of these days I hope to make it to one of those Poulan lovers gtgs and run some more of those fine saws.

I wouldn't say no to a PP325, if it had the original top end in good shape! :msp_biggrin:

The only other Poulan I would be interested is the PP505 - but that one is not under 80cc.

Like mark said, you need to run some of the other Poulans. Try a Super 25DA, 3400, 3700, 4000, 245a, 306a, 360, 330 Pro, 295 Pro, 3500, 4900, 5200....etc etc etc.

3400 Countervibe

My first chainsaw, bought new in 1980 and still running. It has been a truly excellent saw for me. It was light weight when new at 13 pounds, eight ounces. The new Husqvarna 550XP out powers it and weighs nearly three pounds less. Great progress, and the 550XP handles much better. But that old Poulan is a sweetie.

i love my 3800 and 3400 and 3700's...but theres still nothing like a S25. counter-vibe or not those little guys have to be a best time anybody can have running a saw that size. personally other than the weight nothing modern even compares in that range, most torque of any 38cc saw ever and of course the loudest. i rock my MM'd PP4216 for the small stuff to make time, but if i feel like having a good time and theres no rush the S25CV comes off the shelf:rock:

Right now I would have to say I really like the small, late model rear handle green saws. My 2050 and 2150 have worked hard over the years and still run great. My lone complaints are the somewhat stingy, non-adjustable oiler and lame-o chains they come with. The second one is remedied easily enough but I'm not sure how I can increase the oil volume. Nonetheless with good care these little buggers have served me well out of proportion to their modest price. I bought Wild Thing top covers for them so they can be all green like a Poulan should be.:cool2:

Much as I like the uprights, the 245a is a lightweight, well balanced and strong cutting machine. 74ccs.

The s25cva is the tops for little saws

Poulan "Wild Thing." Makes a great loaner if a relative or "friend" insists on borrowing a saw. If the loanee straight gasses it or drops it out of the back of his truck while driving down the highway, I can always get another for under $100.

Nope, I just can't pick one. Every time I try to post just one I keep adding more so heck with it...245, 3000 and, and, and, and well you guys get the picture.:greenchainsaw:

That's a tough one. Right now, I think my 4000 is my favorite 'under 80cc' Poulan. What an impressive saw that is. Doesn't give up much if anything to my 272XP, and it's more fun to run. Has a manual oiler as well as the auto too. I like that.

One of my S25-CVA's is the small saw that I grab most often. I had it with me during a hot sweaty day of clearing an access road. I only grabbed bigger saws a couple times.

Once my 4900 makes its way to me from Washington state it'll probably be my favorite 'under 80cc' Poulan. Haven't gotten around to getting my Dayton branded 245SA up and running yet. I'm sure it'll be like my 306A, but with much more 'grunt'. It'll be a favorite too...

I can't believe I missed this thread. :msp_scared: Must be "old geezer symptoms". As much as I want to say the 3400 is my favorite, I just can't. Of the saws I actually use often, the 4000 would be at the top of the list. Followed by the 4200, and PP Super 380.

I would like to add the 245A to that list, but I only have the one, and it just gets used at GTG's now days. :( My favorite under 80cc, would might be a 7700, if I had one..LOL

My most "fun" to run Poulan, doesn't follow the OP's original question about under 80cc. Just the other day I worked on several red & white Oaks, & Ash trees. The wild creatures and other forest dwellers know that when they hear a 85cc Poulan running in the woods, it means business.:D
Of the saws I own, nothing has the put lead in your pencil bark & grunt of the old 5200!!

:cheers:
Gregg,

My first saw, a 245A bought new in 1977, rough, loud and a hell of a saw! Traded it off years ago still running strong. The 3400 bought used in 1988 still runs good and has cut a bunch of wood. Neither Poulan ever let me down, or needed any work at all.

I love those old Poulans, but I switched to XP saws back in 01 and haven't missed the old ones at all... :msp_smile:

every time I start a 3400/3700/3800 I am amazed at just how good they are. It is a shame that a consumer today has to spend a boatload of money to get a saw that runs as well as a 25-30 year old Poulan. I picked up a 3400 the other day for $30 with a good bar and 2 almost new Oregon non safety chains. It started on the second pull and oils like the Exon Valdiez. There is just nothing to not like about these saws except for the color.:confused: Super easy to work on and run great.

I know what you mean. I have two 3400s. My first one I got has high compression and starts and cuts like a champ. Then my second one I got has low compression. Takes about 20 pulls to get her going, but after you do get her going she will idle and run great. Just you can notice some lack in power in the cut no matter how you tune it. But that sucker will still hold RPM and still smoke a lot of other saws :)

Last edited:
Drove 1.5 hrs 1 way to get a 40 dollar craftsman 3.7 and case. One of the smoothest saws I own and very well made. I muff modded it, cleaned up a bit and replaced all the plastic hoses and a new filter. Very happy with that deal. The drive was a bit much but I was bored in the winter and had some time to kill. Looking for one of those s25cva everyone raves about.

Last edited:
Back