Your saw dealer?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bump_r

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
john T's comment in his new saw prep thread got me reminiscing about how I settled in on "my" dealer. When I first decided to go with Stihl saws I(already had a FS36 weed whacker, dependability sold me) was discussing with the wife. She knew which models were under consideration, and took it upon herself to call for prices. She called XYZ shop saturday afternoon, and when she started asking about saws, was told gruffly "We're closed!" Wife asked "why'd you answer the phone?" Well, it got less than pleasant for a time. We learned that (A) if you run a home business, you should get separate lines (B) if you keep common home and shop lines, learn not to be a **** if you get business cals after hours, and (C) - this would NOT be my dealer.

Next, I called ABC shop to get a few prices (I had it narrowed down to 4 or 5 saws, and didn't have the pricelist posted here), and when I got to the 27QS, was told "You don't want that one" pretty sternly. My thought was that this chump could tell me about the saw if he wanted to, and make a case against it but the ultimate decision regarding what I did or didn't want was not his to make. No-go here, as well.

Finally, called the KLM shop. They took time to discuss my needs, buying timeframe, budget, yadda yadda yadda. He invited me over to touchy-feely his display models, and provided me with literature. From him, I've bought my MS290, me MS170, SH85 blowervac, various Poulan parts nad several chains, and plan to get my upcoming MS460 and chaps. I've often thought of loading them all in the back of my truck and stopping in XYZ and ABS to show them what business their unprofessionalism cost them, but that would be somewhat of a reward in and of itself by way of feedback and leg-up on KLM's business practices. b_umpr's market resarch company I ain't.

And no, I didn't expect or want my hand held by the dealers, just some time and consideration. What's that they say? "you only have one chance to make a first impression." Impress me, they didn't.

So, how'd you settle in on your dealer, or if you are one, what steps do you take to secure potential customers?

Hey, there is no problem with drafting a professional business letter describing what happened, and mailing it to them. If they've got poor business practices they'll ignore it and you'll feel better about letting them know. If they've decent business practices at all, and maybe you caught them on a bad day or something, they'll call you and try to make it right. And you'll still feel better. I had the same issue with a Chevy dealership here in town, while trying to get warranntee work done. I went to the GMC dealer and got taken care of. The OWNER of the Chevy dealership called me at home and talked to me. It was just his grunts in the service department who where costing him business, and not that he was a bad dealer.

Anyway, I got lucky. My Stihl dealer is the only Sthil dealer within 60 miles or so, and he just happens to be great. That's how I chose him, though I've been a Stihl customer since long before that.

Jeff

Adding to Jeff: You can also copy the letter to the "Better Business Bureau" in your area. I did that once with a less than satisfactory experience with camera repair. Worked wonders... got all my money back and the camera fixed..

dealer

I chose my dealer when i tried to get a part for my climbing saw. I went to the first dealer to get a fuel cap. It took him 10 minutes to find a part #. Then another 10 minutes to figure he didnt have one and told me it would take 2 weeks to get it. I asked him if he could take one off a new saw he had in stock and put the one he ordered on the new saw when it came in. He told me he couldnt do that. So i went to the other dealer, he opened a drawer, took it out and handed it to me. He's been my dealer ever since, he always has the things i need and has excellent customer service.

I haven't bought a new saw yet. Gramps told me poor boys have poor ways.

The dealer I buy parts from stinks, but he has hired a good tech/service mngr.. The most important part of owning a business is hiring the right employees and motivating them to do what is right.

This is a problem all of us face on a daily basis, but instead of being introspective we can be blind to what we do to our employees.

Money is not the number 1 motivator of employees. It is a sense that they are valued and an important part of a good team.

Got any change for a five?

Fred

We have 2 Stihl dealers in area . 1 is big dealer that will sell what you want at good prices,great service,stocks bars chain and every thing in between..

other only catters to home owner and has to order every thing. they only stock 1 bar and rm chain .I went there for spark plug and they were out..

Guess you can figure out where we shop..

I really have no desire to assist XYZ or ABC with their businesses. Taking my money elsewhere is all I need to do. Showing them what business they pushed away would be nothing more than planting a big ole "nyaa-nya-nyaaa-nyaaa-NYAAAAA" smile on my face.

As far as ABC - that was the owner that answered te phone and smarted off to the missus; can't very well rat him out to the boss. And ABC shop dude turned out to be the owner's son - brick wall there, I'm afraid.

Oh, when I did lay down the cash for my 290, dealer dude filled fuel and bar oil, mounted/adjusted bar chain started it and tweaked the carbonator. At the time I felt "Jeeze, brand new saw and he's screwing with it's factory-fresh settings, GREAT!" - I've since seen the folly of this mindset. Then he carried it to the car!

I just recently purchased a Husqvarna 365 Special from a local dealer,like you after much reading and research. My other choice was a Dolmar saw. I talked to the Dolmar dealer (a member here) and he was both friendly and helpful. One problem though he was over a two hour drive for me.
I checked out local Husky and Jonsered dealers and some were helpful(somewhat) and some were downright gruff and unhelpful at all. Then I walked into my closest Husky dealer, I had saved him for last because I had bought a Husqvarna weed trimmer from him some years ago and I knew he was good to me back then.
I walked out of his shop with a new saw. I went in looking at the 359 but after talking to him and a quick demo of both saws I took his reccomendation and spent the little extra for the 365, a longer bar 20" and a little more power.
I have posted elsewhere how pleased I am with this new saw. My deciding factor was a good dealer, with good knowledge, a friendly demeanor, and a long standing reputation of servicing what he sells.

Lakeside53 said:
Adding to Jeff: You can also copy the letter to the "Better Business Bureau" in your area. I did that once with a less than satisfactory experience with camera repair. Worked wonders... got all my money back and the camera fixed..

how did the BB get your money back? were they directly involved or did the camera repair guy just get scared and give it back. in my experiance the BB is a joke, with no power. i once had a customer call and complain to the BB about my business, since i thought the customer was wrong, when the BB called me on the phone i just laughed and hung up. i never heard from them again.

There is 3 stealerships within 15 miles of me in different directions. Back in 1994 when i was looking for a small trim saw to buy new, they just gave me the snob nose BS trying to push me into other saws that were bigger and cost more so off I went to get what I wanted in another brand, Poulan 2000. Back then that is all I needed for limb trimming as a homeowner. They put a bad taste there then and now I bought 3 more saws in 2005. Guess which dealer and saw type I didnt give my money too. I never forget how you treat a customer. Treat me the way you want treated.

kf_tree said:
how did the BB get your money back? were they directly involved or did the camera repair guy just get scared and give it back. in my experiance the BB is a joke, with no power. i once had a customer call and complain to the BB about my business, since i thought the customer was wrong, when the BB called me on the phone i just laughed and hung up. i never heard from them again.

The camera repair store refunded the money. They didn't want my complaint (legitimate and obvious) on their BBB file, so they "resolved" it.

Dealer blues

There are several dealers in the area, and I honestly wonder how most of them stay in business. I stopped into one to price a 372xp and check on comparable Stihls and Echos. The person behind the counter had to look up all the information on the saws; hp, weight, cost, bar length. They're supposed to know more about the equipment than me. Another dealer knew what he should, but when I thanked him for the prices and tried to walk out, he physically blocked my way and told me he'd really be happier if I bought a saw from him! :angry2: Some pointed words were exchanged, but I didn't have to :sword: him to get out. A third dealer found out I was a firewood cutter and not a pro and told me that frankly he didn't have time for me. At the time his shop was full of obvious timber fallers and such. While I was there one person bought a spool of chain and another bought two 660's. Him I can understand, and am thankful he told me up front that my business was going to be put on the back burner because it wasn't going to make him enough money to justify pissing off the people who're spending thousands a year in his shop. The fourth and last, whom I go to now, was both courteous and knowledgeable. He did keep looking at my girlfriend alot, but I can't blame him there. :)

2Coilinveins said:
He did keep looking at my girlfriend alot, but I can't blame him there. :)

Please post pics of both. We need impartial judges.

IIIII"MMMMM JJJUUUUUSSSSSS KIIDDDDDDDNNNNN!!!!!!

The saw being the other.

Some guys are just worthless.

Fred

Well I first went to my dealer in 2000 but, more about that later. My wife and I had just got our first house. I could not afford the 300 dollar a month heating bills and that was only October. There was a Harman E stove in the basment so I was going to cut firewood. I was used to cutting wood at home that's how my parents heated the home. I needed a saw. I new nothing, so I went to lowes and put 200 dollars down on a Poulan 295. It ran ok for a 46cc saw with a 20 inch bar but, after about one truckload of wood and then it stopped. I returned and was going to try another one but they did not have any in stock.
Here is the part where I met the dealer. I went to a local shop and told them my poulan story and said i needed a good saw that could handle a 20 inch bar. I told him that I wanted to keep the bill under 200 dollars. So I knew I needed a used saw or something smaller. He sold me a great ,used, Echo 550 and I heated my house for 2 years only using that saw. I knew he gave me a nice break on the price of the saw. The dealer has also called me by name and been very respectful every time I come into the shop. He has been willing to explain stuff to me so i undersdtand it. He has also told me the truth and never tried to sell me something i did not need.
Rob

Here is my experience. I have been cutting wood since I was a little tyke with my dad and grandad, but when I started selling wood in highschool, the Mac and Homelite literally weren't cuting it anymore, so I went and bought the 025 from a local dealer I had bought parts for the others saws from before. These guys were always irritated with my newbie/kid questions. I understand after having worked in some customer service jobs that working with the public is a pain in the butt and no one wants to answer questions after having worked hard adn been on their feet all day. That having been said, they were not especially courteous, and one day I met a dealer who was closer to the house and treated me alot better. I bought my 009 and MS390 from him. And also buy most of my dealer only parts there. ehave yet another Stihl shop here that has an even bigger selection of stuff but they seem very cross with me whenever I come in as if they want me to leave as soon as possible. Here is my conclusion...you cannot expect the dealer to always be friendly...public service is an PITA job and a lot of customers are just not nice either. If you want my money you'll be honest and let me look at your stuff(this sells more saw stuff BTW) and answer any reasonable questions. You'll also have all common tuff ins tock or readily available for order within justa few days.

saw dealer

My saw dealer used to rep Stihl, but now Dolmar. He's a wizard with repairs: swear to G0d, he would've been burned at the stake for his magic with equipment (if it has an engine, he can make it run). He lives 30 some odd miles from me and I've never gone anywhere else - even though there are many closer repair shops. If he can't fix it, it's scrap metal.

Latest posts

Back