Yucky,nasty,dirty,how do they get like this ??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For pitch stains and oil deposits I find this cleaner works good.

DSC_0018.jpg

That is an excellent picture for an advertisement. That saw is clean.:cheers:

you must have bought it from that narcoleptic dude; he must have kept falling asleep and smash it against the concrete sidewalk over and over...does this seem remotely possible ?

Purple Power is all I use these days. I love the stuff.

Monterey Pine with Pitch Canker will make a saw look like that as will White Fir pitch blisters.

Ah yes, the Grand Fir is quite sticky. I love the stuff. Big ass White Fir that doesn't have too many of the dead, won't break off, sharp-slit-your-throat limbs, and the classic hippy-parmesean cheese foot rot odor in the stump with water out of a rotton grain cilo. I have actually cut big Grand Fir that did not have these issues, and it is enjoyable to cut. It is sticky but it smells great. Lindsey can tell right away when I come through the door if I cut White Fir; either the rotton stump water odor or fresh and clean pitch.

Yeah i know loggers that have 2+ brand new saws on the shelf at the shop and when one saw wont run they grab a new one. Some guys dont do any maint they just fill it with gas and oil sharpen the chain and cut till they wont cut no more. not that its a good thing but it happens more often that you would think.....

I was cleaning up a saw in the kitchen sink and ran into a difficult bit of a mess. Looked under sink and the usual like 409 and other cleaners did not do the trick. Saw the bottle of Goo Gone and I tell you what, it works great when sprayed on. You can see the sap and oil run off in streaks.

gg44.jpg

I see they have a Gel formula now that I will be trying.

GGHS12.png

I've seen & cleaned worse, but, yes, baked-on sap is a PITA.

I used to (and still do to a certain extent) clean by hand by scraping, using purple cleaner (straight & diluted), rinsing, repeating as often as needed, and drying with compressed air.

A couple of weeks ago I decided to try the Karcher power washer that I got when my In-Laws downsized. It works pretty well. I did have to replace the cheap hose that constantly kinked :mad: and eventually developed a weak spot that blew out.

I wanna see the "after" pictures. If ANYONE can make a Husky look good, it'd be you. :laugh:

ME ?????? you must have me confused with somebody else,sorry..
I may be fair with a can of spray paint but THIS one needs 1/2 gal of plastic filler first some of the scrathes,i mean GOUGES are so deep and so many of them.. and the broken cover too :(
if i dragged it down a gravel road for ten miles it would only IMPROVE the appearance of this thing LOL !!
maybe soak some plastic in purple power,degrease and clean what i can and leave it at that..
have a beat up 266 on CL now and will let this one take it's place.

Well, it's all attitude, isn't it....
If you are a professional at anything (don't get me wrong, there are a lot of amateurs with professional attitudes), you take care of your tools, because they take care of your livelihood. It's like the old adage of horse care, "you don't ride them hard and put them away wet".
Normal wear and tear (and maintenance scars) are the honourable badges of a productive life, neglect and abuse stand out like a neon sign and just reflect how sloppy and disrespectful the owners attitude is, and that surely will reflect on his respect to his job and the quality of his work.

Saws like that are also how some of us find diamons in the rough, so to speak, from people that think just because a saw is dirty it must be junk.

Would Castrol SuperClean damage decals and the like? I like it for degreasing engines, but wonder what it'd do to plastic and rubber saw parts.

Saws like that are also how some of us find diamons in the rough, so to speak, from people that think just because a saw is dirty it must be junk.

Would Castrol SuperClean damage decals and the like? I like it for degreasing engines, but wonder what it'd do to plastic and rubber saw parts.

Ya, you got to be careful with it. Don't let it sit on plastic and aluminum parts too long. You can dilute it up to 4:1 with water with good results.

You have got that rite! A saws outside appearance is the least inportant part of it, jank on the inside of the plastic is much more important to clean up for temp reasons.

Ide leave the pitch on there, it add character..

It's like i already said,the air filter looked like it never been cleaned,had no spark because the plug was just wore out and ate away..
along with the appearance of the saw tells me somebody just didnt care about it enough for even basic maintainance.
i can see using a tool and it getting battle scars and dirty but abuse and neglect of ANY tool shows complete lack of careing for it.
i dont know anybody that would leave thier snap on box outside with all the drawers open all winter long..
why treat a saw that bad ?
thing that bothers me is somebody will see me with this and think i'm the one responsable !!

Back