How often do you clean your chimney

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
will always check annually if chimney needs cleaning. but it hasn't needed it for years.

finally cleaned it anyways... not much came down ...
so it really depends upon how hot/clean your wood burns.

if there's constantly smoke after reaching operating temps... then your chimney will probably need more attention, then the wood stove that's putting out barely a wisp of smoke at full steam.

I have not cleaned mine in the 4 years that I've been living here. We burn 6 cords a year and heat pretty much with wood only. I check the chimney every few weeks with a mirror and there is no build up. Maybe it's because we keep the flue temps above 300 degrees at all times...not sure. We also burn well seasoned wood.

I check chimney every other month during burning season (Oct-April) with a mirror from cleanout at bottom of chimney. We burn only dry hardwood and keep the flue between 300-400F. Used to clean yearly right before burn season. Two years ago we installed a stainless liner. I haven't cleaned since. I don't use a cap.

I clean mine every spring.

But I clean out the wood stove and inspect the catalyst 3 times a year. Once in the spring, and 2 times during the burning season.

Latest posts

Back