How often do you clean your chimney

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MikePA.

how did you modify the cap?

mine gets clogged up too, NOT the stainless liner, but the cap it self, Its like a giant heatsink in the wind and that stuff just "grows" on it.

when its winter time and I dont want to get on the roof, I shoot it with my sons pellet rifle.

I was up there with him the other day, and he was laughing at all the little dents in it from BBs

Ozark - Mine is a mushroom shaped cap that had six vertical supports and a steel ring that went around the edge of the cap, halfway up through the opening. I cut the ring out and cut half of the the supports out. Granted, the cap is not nearly as strong, but who needs a strong cap?!?

Hopefully this description makes sense. I figured I had too much surface area for stuff to collect on, so I removed stuff for better air flow.

my chimney cap is large... 2ft x 6ft with large square mesh to catch embers. mesh never gets clogged...

I'm burning a Jotul Firelight 600CB with 15 feet of Selkirk Metalbestos six inch double wall chimney. I clean the chimney once per year at the beginning of the heating season. I did a chimney cleaning a few days ago and the dry creosote I got would about fill a 12 ounce soda can.

It is very important that the user get familiar with the amount of creosote their stove, chimney and burning habits create. Check or clean often until you get a feel for the amount of creosote a system creates and then set your cleaning schedule from there.

Good point since everyones situation is different. In my case, using an 1908 Glenwood cookstove through a brick unlined chimney, I need to sweep the chimney once a year but clean out the stove every other month. It's a product of the design of the stove that it's most effiecent when the oven control is on bake. This causes the smoke too be drawn around the oven top too bottom before being pulled out. This causes some cooling and thus creosote buildup. Since I just raked it this morning, I took a picture of what came out. If only creosote were gold!
attachment.php

Good point since everyones situation is different. In my case, using an 1908 Glenwood cookstove through a brick unlined chimney, I need to sweep the chimney once a year but clean out the stove every other month. It's a product of the design of the stove that it's most effiecent when the oven control is on bake. This causes the smoke too be drawn around the oven top too bottom before being pulled out. This causes some cooling and thus creosote buildup. Since I just raked it this morning, I took a picture of what came out. If only creosote were gold!
attachment.php

Zodiac and I have virtually identical models (mines negligibly older but has the kindle and bake settings for various stages of the fire). Frequent cleaning of the unit is needed, but my chimney stays pretty clean. In terms of the unit itself, hot air and smoke rolling between the oven below and the stove top above eventually results in creosote stalagmites forming under the lid furthest from the firebox.

As far as the chimney is concerned (about 18' from outlet to cap) I was surprised how little gunk came down when I cleaned it prior to the start of the current heating season.

sounds much like mine.

Mine is already somewhat distorted from me struggling to remove it a few times.

I might see about improving the openings in it though.

Thanks for the info

Ozark - Mine is a mushroom shaped cap that had six vertical supports and a steel ring that went around the edge of the cap, halfway up through the opening. I cut the ring out and cut half of the the supports out. Granted, the cap is not nearly as strong, but who needs a strong cap?!?

Hopefully this description makes sense. I figured I had too much surface area for stuff to collect on, so I removed stuff for better air flow.

i have a 1918 kineo c made in bangor maine, its a beautiful old stove that my mother learned to cook on, and was in my grandmothers house, when she was born her mother passed away. but it was a home stead so things were pretty tough, so her and her twin were placed in shoe boxes and set on the bread warming trays on the stove to keep them warm. the stove means a lot to my family but it sure is a pain in the backside to keep clean. as with the other cook stoves the smoke goes around the oven and creates creosote, so i clean it every month or so. the family tends to leave the wood pile uncovered so the wood gets covered in snow and ice and gets wet, causing the chimney to get clogged, i sweep it every week if im home. its pretty easy because i can stand at the bottom of the stainless steel chimney and sweep from the ground, takes 1o minutes and is a great piece of mind, living in a 200 year old house.
Glad to see so many folks taking care of the build up, way too many fires in my neck of the woods because people are afraid to do it themselves.
sorry for the lengthy post.

I'm burning a Jotul Firelight 600CB with 15 feet of Selkirk Metalbestos six inch double wall chimney. I clean the chimney once per year at the beginning of the heating season. I did a chimney cleaning a few days ago and the dry creosote I got would about fill a 12 ounce soda can.

It is very important that the user get familiar with the amount of creosote their stove, chimney and burning habits create. Check or clean often until you get a feel for the amount of creosote a system creates and then set your cleaning schedule from there.

Well said.

I like to clean my chimney twice a year sometimes three for the stove. I burn mostly Pine but it is very dry, I think Pine gets a bad rap because people burn un seasoned pine it takes longer for Pine to dry than Aspen or Poplar.I clean my fireplace chimney once a year as it is only used during cold snaps.

Last edited:
Zodiac and I have virtually identical models (mines negligibly older but has the kindle and bake settings for various stages of the fire). Frequent cleaning of the unit is needed, but my chimney stays pretty clean. In terms of the unit itself, hot air and smoke rolling between the oven below and the stove top above eventually results in creosote stalagmites forming under the lid furthest from the firebox.

As far as the chimney is concerned (about 18' from outlet to cap) I was surprised how little gunk came down when I cleaned it prior to the start of the current heating season.

Yep I'd say your right WB, Seems like most of the creosote gets dispersed on that trip round the bake box. I love how fast she comes up too temp after a scrapeout! It's like instant new stove again. I need too get me a dedicated shopvac too make the process easier. Everytime I clean out, I take some Rutland stove polish (nasty black) and give the top a coat. That also requires dedicated gloves and rags! LOL :cheers:

i have a 1918 kineo c made in bangor maine, its a beautiful old stove that my mother learned to cook on, and was in my grandmothers house, when she was born her mother passed away. but it was a home stead so things were pretty tough, so her and her twin were placed in shoe boxes and set on the bread warming trays on the stove to keep them warm. the stove means a lot to my family but it sure is a pain in the backside to keep clean. as with the other cook stoves the smoke goes around the oven and creates creosote, so i clean it every month or so. the family tends to leave the wood pile uncovered so the wood gets covered in snow and ice and gets wet, causing the chimney to get clogged, i sweep it every week if im home. its pretty easy because i can stand at the bottom of the stainless steel chimney and sweep from the ground, takes 1o minutes and is a great piece of mind, living in a 200 year old house.
Glad to see so many folks taking care of the build up, way too many fires in my neck of the woods because people are afraid to do it themselves.
sorry for the lengthy post.

No worries Clydie and great story! My house too is a 200+yr older. When I first got the place (20yrs ago) it hadn't been lived in for about 5 yrs and took some work, but out in the attached barn (where I can keep my winters wood out of the weather) I found the main body of the stove under some steps. After further hunting and pecking, I came up with every piece of it and sent it down too Brooks, Maine for new grates and seal up. Then reinstalled her in the kitchen. Can't beat these cookstoves IMO. They're a big piece of radiating cast when going strong. :cheers:

Yep I'd say your right WB, Seems like most of the creosote gets dispersed on that trip round the bake box. I love how fast she comes up too temp after a scrapeout! It's like instant new stove again. I need too get me a dedicated shopvac too make the process easier. Everytime I clean out, I take some Rutland stove polish (nasty black) and give the top a coat. That also requires dedicated gloves and rags! LOL :cheers:

Dedicated shopvac is right. Nothing plugs up a vac's airfilter quicker than soot. I bought the smallest model they make, real tiny unit, for this express purpose and leave the otherone for all other tasks.

We don't reblack as often as I'd like. The smoke from curing is real awful. That and my wife's expecting and the fumes are toxic to in vetro babies. When we reblacked this fall, it was a 65*+ day and we sent my wife off for the day. Kept all the windows open and the door nearest the stove to ventilate ASAP. It's real easy to forget how big those cookstoves are (and how many nooks and crannies) until it comes time to reblack the whole thing!

I have a 6x6 masonary chimney and a Fisher stove. I cleaned the chimney out once a year until last year when I cleaned it out twice. I'm going to start cleaning it out twice a year from now on.

Shop Vac filters

Dedicated shopvac is right. Nothing plugs up a vac's airfilter quicker than soot. I bought the smallest model they make, real tiny unit, for this express purpose and leave the otherone for all other tasks.

QUOTE]

Have you seen or tried the filter bags for these? They are made for fine dust like ash (make sure it is cold) and drywall sanding. I use mine with one of these bags and a HEPA filter. It lasts a long time to clog since there is a lot of filter surface area. It is also easy to clean since you can just toss the bag and then clean the HEPA filter with water.

We have about 15ft of chimney.....double wall inside, triple wall stainless outside. I clean it once a year, before the burning season starts.

Zodiac & Woodbooga that looks like a beautiful, nostalgic stove! :clap:

We have a castiron shell with steel internals, Napoleon stove. It has that classic stove look and works wonderfully. Practically lights itself, it vents so well. It's so peaceful to just sit in front of it and stare at the flames and enjoy the heat! :givebeer:

This may sound crazy but I just rub olive oil on the stove every so often and it makes it look like new again for a month or two. Not to mention the smell (until it seasons into the cast, usually just a few hours) is rather pleasant and harmless/nontoxic.

We have about 15ft of chimney.....double wall inside, triple wall stainless outside. I clean it once a year, before the burning season starts.

We have a castiron shell with steel internals, Napoleon stove. It has that classic stove look and works wonderfully. Practically lights itself, it vents so well. It's so peaceful to just sit in front of it and stare at the flames and enjoy the heat! :givebeer:

This may sound crazy but I just rub olive oil on the stove every so often and it makes it look like new again for a month or two. Not to mention the smell (until it seasons into the cast, usually just a few hours) is rather pleasant and harmless/nontoxic.

Some wax paper will work too. Wonder Bread used to come in waxy packaging and the thrifty of mind used to use that to restore a shine to the stovetop.

That's interesting but makes perfect sense. In the old days people kept a sort of coffee can with an oily (cooking oils) rag in it and the stove always got a wipe down after cooking. The stove black I use is wax based and while nasty it's not as toxic as some. I find that if I spread it on with a damp sponge and then after dry give it a good buff before re-light it's not so bad. I'll give the olive oil a go, sounds good and I use the stuff every day. (Med diet) :clap: :cheers:

Fisher Stove Catalitic Combuster

I have an old Fisher Papa Bear. I contacted a dealer who advertised a replacement Catalytic Combuster (Converter). He told me if the stove didn't come with one I could not put one in. The picture his ad shows looks like the combuster would slip intothe flue outlet (8"). But, his comment makes me believe there is some other way the combulter is attached.

Can anyone tell me how the compuster is installed in a Fisher and if I can modify the stove to handle it ?

Thanx,
LenS.

I do not know about Fisher, but all of the catalytic stoves I have seen have a bypass for lighting the stove and getting the converter up to temperature, once it is up to temperature you close the bypass and all exhaust goes through the combuster, but the combustor is restrictive and you must open the bypass anytime open the stove you add wood and when you start a fire, or smoke will just billow out the front door. That is why you can just put a combustor in the flue.

Back