Wood milled w/ GB 36" mill!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Weimedog, if you are using the oak for horse stalls, or any other such purpose, use it green. You will have a real hard time getting a nail thru it when it is dry, and there is no real benefit of drying it for this type of application. Ask any old farmer.
If you do want to dry wood for other uses, make sure the stack gets good airflow if it is stacked in a barn, otherwise it can get moldy.

the only "problem" to using green wood for construction is when it dries, there will be pretty large gaps between the boards. For some things, that's not a problem at all.

How long did it take you to mill all of that wood up? I"ve got 4 20"+ x 8'6" oak logs to mill now, going to get another tree on friday, trying to figure if I should mill it with my chainsaw or get a guy with a bandsaw to come out. I milled a bunch of pine earlier this year, and it was slow enough to take forever.

Shade,

It took my dad and I around 4 hours to do it. Now, keep in mind this was first time I've ever milled. It also includes sharpening the loop once, stacking and stickering the boards, getting stung by a wasp, fueling up 4 or 5 times and changing out the air cleaner, running out of gas in the cut, and experimenting with different setups. Actual milling time is probably around 1 1/2 hours.

I plan to do some milling this weekend. Got a different loop of chain to try, so I'll let you know how it works out.

Chris B.

That's actually pretty good time, I found that if I sharpened the chain after every 2 tanks of gas, I could make pretty good time. I also got myself a winch setup similar to the one in Will Malloff's book, haven't really used that yet, though. I'm waiting for it to get cold before I start milling again.

That's actually pretty good time, I found that if I sharpened the chain after every 2 tanks of gas, I could make pretty good time. I also got myself a winch setup similar to the one in Will Malloff's book, haven't really used that yet, though. I'm waiting for it to get cold before I start milling again.

Any update on the milling? I just ordered the 36" GB from Jeff and I am waiting for it to get here. We have a lot of trees down in Florida from the storms and I have my eye on several oaks that have not been removed yet. I don't think they are going anywhere because they are down on low-income type properties and I think I can just go there and start milling.

Any tips for a beginner? I will be using an 066 that was just rebuilt. I have a couple loops of Oregon Milling chain and one of the electric portable sharpeners.

I know that everyone says this a lot, but Jeff is great to deal with. I have emailed him about stuff and he has tracked me down to complete my orders even when we are both too busy to get it done. Thanks Jeff.

Nothing against Jeff but I've emailed him twice trying to get a bar and a few loops of chain for my 090, no reply yet. Maybe I have a bad connection.

How not to sticker

Just thought I would show how not to build a stack.This is my mess,I did it.It is dry,and I don't thik I have any warped,but will do a better job,on the next.:(

Back