Another wood-grilling question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PA. Woodsman

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I have been getting better at grilling with wood due to "trial and error", but have a question for you guys with experience at it. Do you use enough wood intially so that it coals and stays hot long enough to cook what you are cooking, or do you add pieces of wood to keep the fire going if needed? I have been letting it burn down and coal, and hoping that it stays hot enough to cook and so far have been okay, but I'm sure there will be times that I'll have to add wood to turn up the heat-guess it depends on what you are making.

And I'm finding that certain woods give different "flavors" like you guys had said. Any suggestions on which woods go best with which food? Last night I used all Apple to make hamburgers and it had a smoky flavor to it; tonight I used mostly Cherry to make chicken and it was outstanding-the best so far by miles of what I've made. It's interesting and almost an artform to get this down, but I'm gettin' there. Thanks, all...:greenchainsaw:

This is something I would also like to hear from the pros about. Are you using a smoker or a charcoal grill? I've been tempted to use wood in my old weber. I love that grill but don't love buying charcoal so much.

I have been getting better at grilling with wood due to "trial and error", but have a question for you guys with experience at it. Do you use enough wood intially so that it coals and stays hot long enough to cook what you are cooking, or do you add pieces of wood to keep the fire going if needed? I have been letting it burn down and coal, and hoping that it stays hot enough to cook and so far have been okay, but I'm sure there will be times that I'll have to add wood to turn up the heat-guess it depends on what you are making.

And I'm finding that certain woods give different "flavors" like you guys had said. Any suggestions on which woods go best with which food? Last night I used all Apple to make hamburgers and it had a smoky flavor to it; tonight I used mostly Cherry to make chicken and it was outstanding-the best so far by miles of what I've made. It's interesting and almost an artform to get this down, but I'm gettin' there. Thanks, all...:greenchainsaw:

What kind of smoker do you have?

We need more info. Different woods burn at different temps, the size of the wood chunks can affect the temp and your cooking set up all make a difference.

This is my opinion, and how I do it and have had pretty good success, if I say so myself. :blush:
When grilling I build a fire and keep feeding it untill I have a deep bed of coals. I guess I have an unfair advantage because my dad bought my grill used 45 years ago, and it was old when he got it. It's called a "Kettle Cooker". It's like an old cast iron wash pot with a heavy cast iron lid with a vent. It will hold enough coals that I've never had to add wood after I started. If I had a smaller grill I wouldn't hesitate to add wood if needed though. But unless you wanted a stronger smoke flavor you'd probably need to let it burn down to coals before cooking again.
As far as which woods for which meat, the rule of thumb I use is Fruit bearing wood goes best with poultry, and pork. Nut, and bean bearing wood goes best with beef. I like Mesquite, or Oak/Hickory mix for steak and burgers. For poultry my favorite is Appricot, and for pork I like apple.

Andy

I thought he was grilling?:)

Grilling over wood? I guess it would work. Sounds like he is smoking meat on a grill.

I smoke 90 percent of my meat over oak. You just cant beat it and if your in PA then its all over the place.

Grilling over wood? I guess it would work. Sounds like he is smoking meat on a grill.

I smoke 90 percent of my meat over oak. You just cant beat it and if your in PA then its all over the place. Fruit woods are good but I cant really tell a big differance so I just ussually stick with the oak.

Thanks for the answers so far. What I have is just a $35 "portable" (on wheels) grill with a lid that I bought at Home Cheepo, and am burning all wood in it until it coals and then cooking over it like a charcoal or gas grill-I'm not smoking meat on it, although at the end I put the lid down for awhile so it kind of smokes it at the end. I use thin splits of wood, about 2" wide by 8" long, not chunks, and have found that thin splits work very well-they burn down quickly and coal faster than bigger pieces. I also wait until the flames die out, as I had burnt some meat the first time that I cooked like this-I'm guessing that I could add more wood if needed and just move the meat to the side of the grill until the flames die down then move it over the coals again. But it is getting better all the time, thanks to trail and error, and all set-ups are different. Thanks for the replies!

I use a combo of Lump Charcoal and Peach Wood in my Big Green Egg. Smoker/Grill. There is a dead cherry tree in my yard that will be cut up one of the days and used in the smoker.

Here is how I cook/smoke a few things:

Brisket 4-5 lbs - Heavy smoke one hour, cover and cook for 10-12 hrs @ 250 I mix cider vinegar, beer and apple juice in a sprayer and spray brisket every hour. Should be able to pull it apart with a fork when done.

Whole Chicken 4-5 lbs - Low smoke, cook over indirect heat 3-4 hrs @ 300 We set the chicken on a ceramic holder much like a beer can and fill with whatever you like. Chicken is moist and falls off the bone when done. Rub with melted butter and add your favorite seasonings and your chicken before cooking and it will be golden brown when finished cooking.

Pork Butt 4-5 lbs - Heavy smoke one hour, cover and cook for 8-10 hrs @ 275 (Indirect Heat) We cook ours in an aluminum pan to catch all the drippings. Ad your favorite dry rub and a cup of apple juice or cider. For sandwiches we shread the pork and spoon over the pan drippings for the sauce. It hard to beat!

Baby Backs - Full rack - Heavy smoke one hour, wrap in foil and cook for 4-6 hrs @ 250. Unwrap ad sauce and grill for 10-15 minutes.

Burgers - Mix burger with A1 or your favorite sauce and a dry rub. Cook @ 400 flipping every few minutes. Never flatten burgers while cooking, unless you like them dry.

I highly suggest looking into a good grill/smoker. Had my Big Green Egg for 5 years now. $700.00 is a lot of money for a grill, but its got a lifetime warranty and its a smoker/grill all in one unit. If you enjoy BBQ as much as we do you will be glad you spent the money....

I use a combo of Lump Charcoal and Peach Wood in my Big Green Egg. Smoker/Grill. There is a dead cherry tree in my yard that will be cut up one of the days and used in the smoker.

Here is how I cook/smoke a few things:

Brisket 4-5 lbs - Heavy smoke one hour, cover and cook for 10-12 hrs @ 250 I mix cider vinegar, beer and apple juice in a sprayer and spray brisket every hour. Should be able to pull it apart with a fork when done.

Whole Chicken 4-5 lbs - Low smoke, cook over indirect heat 3-4 hrs @ 300 We set the chicken on a ceramic holder much like a beer can and fill with whatever you like. Chicken is moist and falls off the bone when done. Rub with melted butter and add your favorite seasonings and your chicken before cooking and it will be golden brown when finished cooking.

Pork Butt 4-5 lbs - Heavy smoke one hour, cover and cook for 8-10 hrs @ 275 (Indirect Heat) We cook ours in an aluminum pan to catch all the drippings. Ad your favorite dry rub and a cup of apple juice or cider. For sandwiches we shread the pork and spoon over the pan drippings for the sauce. It hard to beat!

Baby Backs - Full rack - Heavy smoke one hour, wrap in foil and cook for 4-6 hrs @ 250. Unwrap ad sauce and grill for 10-15 minutes.

Burgers - Mix burger with A1 or your favorite sauce and a dry rub. Cook @ 400 flipping every few minutes. Never flatten burgers while cooking, unless you like them dry.

I highly suggest looking into a good grill/smoker. Had my Big Green Egg for 5 years now. $700.00 is a lot of money for a grill, but its got a lifetime warranty and its a smoker/grill all in one unit. If you enjoy BBQ as much as we do you will be glad you spent the money....

Thanks for taking the time to type all that out! I appreciate it....

I smoke 90 percent of my meat over oak. You just cant beat it and if your in PA then its all over the place.

nope, like I said he is grilling....I double read his post before i responded....:)

If you are smoking you just can't beat cherry. Most of mine goes to a commercial smoke house. They do Southern BBQ and they insist on Cherry.

I also supply restaurants that use the wood for grilling. They prefer hard maple because it coals up well and does not smoke them out of the kitchen,

If you are smoking you just can't beat cherry. Most of mine goes to a commercial smoke house. They do Southern BBQ and they insist on Cherry.

I also supply restaurants that use the wood for grilling. They prefer hard maple because it coals up well and does not smoke them out of the kitchen,

Thanks for this very helpful post....

Back