Harbor freigth wood splitter arrives

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As mentioned, we feel your pain. BUT your bad misfortune has educated us all here on arboristsite. Thanks for sharing and good luck with your next purchase.

It's true I got a HF add today and it has the 30 ton splitter stating ( fluid capacity : 2.5 gallons) now what damage could hot hy. oil do??

I do not know what damage it will do, but it took less time to empty that little tank then it took me to get around the unit to shut it down when the hose blew. Luckily I was not in the path of least resistance.

I just want to make a comment about bending beams on splitters.

I strongly agree with KevinJ!

Pressure Relief Valve, PRV, is supposed to protect all parts of the splitter from self damage from Force and Pressure. So is does not matter at all, how big logs you try to splitt.....if ram is moving, then you are operating below PRV setting, if ram is not moving, PRV opens and bypass the flow (that is maximum force)....and no damage should be done...
So if of some reason beam get bent (damaged), it can only be two things....someone increased PRV setting WAY above manufacturer setting, or IT IS A POOR DESIGN!!!

Before buying a splitter, test by trying this, put a 8-10" diam log across and let cylinder hit and go to a stop, keep pushing whit ControlValve, CV, at full stroke....even if it is a true 30-37 ton force splitter, the beam still should NOT BREAK or BEND...

Note:
It takes 3770PSI, to get 30 tons out of a 4.5" bore cylinder
It takes 3060PSI, to get 30 tons out of a 5" bore cylinder

Higher pressure than 3000PSI is unherad of on logsplitters.....most splitters are set at 2500-2700PSI

Before buying a splitter, test by trying this, put a 8-10" diam log across and let cylinder hit and go to a stop, keep pushing whit ControlValve, CV, at full stroke....even if it is a true 30-37 ton force splitter, the beam still should NOT BREAK or BEND...

Note:
It takes 3770PSI, to get 30 tons out of a 4.5" bore cylinder
It takes 3060PSI, to get 30 tons out of a 5" bore cylinder

What happens when the block you use just shears? What if you put a car tire in there and use the splitter to demount the tire from the rim by smooshing the rim down flat?

BTW... to get 30 tons out of an 8" cylinder, you only need 1200 psi to do the job, 3000 will get you 75 tons. To make this move at a good speed, get a single stage pump and a +-50hp motor.

Never messed with the valve, I have bent the xxxxxx out of the beam and foot plate, wouldn't surprise me at all that it is not set correctly from mfg. considering that the filter assembly was install backwards by them. Lot on miles on mine time for rebuild anyway.

I hope some one can help me, I bought a 30 ton Harbor Freight Log Splitter, awesome machine, rips right thru cottonwood, but has blown the return hose off several times, I spent the bucks to make it a high presser hose, now it blows the filter off. After blowing the filter off 3 times in less then a hour and at 3 gallons of hydraulic oil each time I have a blow out, I removed the filter to finish my wood splitting job with out any other mishaps.
I cut the first filter open and there was some orange paint in it but not enough to plug it. Inspecting the set up the return hoes comes out of the directional valve at 1 inch, goes thru a 1 ¼ inch hose goes into the filter housing at 1 inch and out of the filter housing into the hydraulic reservoir at ¾ inch, this is where I think the design error is, it’s restricting the flow. I have looked at others and see they have put the filter on the pump inlet side. Also how do you remove 15 gallons of oil from my work area? Any advice would be helpful.

I knew this was coming, if this thread lasted long enough...

OK I'll update on the details and condition after using it for a bit.
Its Dog ##### Broke!
First the 4 way splitter came apart at the main welds. ...

Then the "shoe" or part that pushes the log into the wedge bent backwards. This is some of the thickest steel on the machine. It simply just bent back over time. ...

These blocks bent and eventually snapped the bolts that hold them in place. These were replaced with longer pieces, and stronger bolts. Back to work.
Then major failure. The rail simply could not handle the work load. It bent the complete two top planges. ...

Did I overwork or abuse it? Maybe, it says right in the description "do not split anything over 12" " I figure it is rated at 30 tons, it should be able to handle that.

Yes, it should. A 30 ton splitter should handle a whale of a lot more than 12 inches.

I learned my Harbor Freight lesson a few years ago, and a lot cheaper, and I don't intend to forget it.

HF = garbage.

At least you have a good engine out of the deal.

I hope some one can help me, I bought a 30 ton Harbor Freight Log Splitter, awesome machine, rips right thru cottonwood, but has blown the return hose off several times, I spent the bucks to make it a high presser hose, now it blows the filter off. After blowing the filter off 3 times in less then a hour and at 3 gallons of hydraulic oil each time I have a blow out, I removed the filter to finish my wood splitting job with out any other mishaps.
I cut the first filter open and there was some orange paint in it but not enough to plug it. Inspecting the set up the return hoes comes out of the directional valve at 1 inch, goes thru a 1 ¼ inch hose goes into the filter housing at 1 inch and out of the filter housing into the hydraulic reservoir at ¾ inch, this is where I think the design error is, it’s restricting the flow. I have looked at others and see they have put the filter on the pump inlet side. Also how do you remove 15 gallons of oil from my work area? Any advice would be helpful.

mine did the same thing.....take your filter and go match it up with a car oil filter.....mine been on there for over a year now and hasn't blowed out yet...

Nice looking machine. Do yourself a favor and watch the hoses. These guys arent kidding. I received a hot hydraulic fluid shower from a HF splitter of my neighbors. Crap hose blew right off under load.

got 1 of those showers too:censored::censored::censored:

Well as much as I didnt like the shower the neighbor that owned the splitter didnt like me jumping in his pool to get the fluid off... well try to at least. Left a nice slick behind.

Reply to filter blowing off,( been there done that) likely it is only a 1/2 inch filter assembly so can not handle volume as that seems to be what they install on all of them. They also like to install the filter assembly backwards.Maybe because the Chinese read right to left( bassackwards) Northern has a higher flow unit, get that and install it in the correct orientation. Do not use a filter element of more than 10 microns. ( car filters are typically 20+).
Yes you can bend the 2" foot plate and the beam, twist it, and mangel the flanges.( hey I got the whole bag of hand outs) Not so much a question of the bypass ( i have never touched mine, or checked with a gage) but of the assembly, as supplied, of the wedge system. Notably that the sliders are of 3 piece construction, and no matter how tight you crank the bolts invariably the spacers get knocked out of position resulting in slop, which causes the cup the ram is connected to to flare out (too thin) allowing the wedge to go willy-nilly. The spacers need to be welded in position to the wedge base plate. You then have a fixed distance to follow the beam flanges.

My HF 30 ton splitter also blew the hose off twice, soaked a nice pair of Goretex lined Rockport boots the second time:censored:
I replace the filter with a car filter and no more problems...

Talk about been there done that, I never said any thing about bending the 2" foot plate and the beam and I never touched the bypass,(where is it) or the spacers get knocked out of position but I have all of above problems. The blown off filter has been replaced 2 times with the best filter made by mankind (WIX) that NASCAR uses, although I have no clue how many microns, The high pressure hose and no filter works, but is not acceptable
Has any one put the filter on the suction side?

Talk about been there done that, I never said any thing about bending the 2" foot plate and the beam and I never touched the bypass,(where is it) or the spacers get knocked out of position but I have all of above problems. The blown off filter has been replaced 2 times with the best filter made by mankind (WIX) that NASCAR uses, although I have no clue how many microns, The high pressure hose and no filter works, but is not acceptable
Has any one put the filter on the suction side?

i have a Fram on mine for a year and a half....Wix's are better at filterin' the oil but aren't built as good.... Fram's are tougher built.....

Latest posts

Back