Shopping for a log splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scottbel

ArboristSite Lurker
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
We are in the market for our first log splitter and have narrowed our options down to a select few machines. I really like the speed and simplicity of the kinetic style splitters and would love to go for a Super Split, but a lead time of 16 weeks and higher cost are making that a difficult choice. Seems like numerous companies come out with kinetic splitters, then don't continue to make them (Oregon, DR Power, etc.). I like the price point and availability of the DK2 40-Ton Kinetic splitter, but don't have a good feel for their build quality or reliability.

My neighbor has had good luck with a NorthStar hydraulic splitter from Nothern Tool and I'm very close to pulling the trigger on one of their 37-Ton models with the torsion axle setup and Kohler CH440 engine. I'd welcome any feedback from you all.

Howdy neighbor. How much are you putting up in a season? Selling, or for your own use?
We’ve been living off a supply of firewood that came with a piece of property we acquired several years ago, but it’s gone now. I just retired and now there is no excuse to not get out there and start cutting, bucking, splitting and seasoning our supply. It’s all for our own use, however, we’ll probably be sharing the machine with a relative that can store it for us.

As for how mI h we’ll be putting up… don’t really know yet.

We’ve been living off a supply of firewood that came with a piece of property we acquired several years ago, but it’s gone now. I just retired and now there is no excuse to not get out there and start cutting, bucking, splitting and seasoning our supply. It’s all for our own use, however, we’ll probably be sharing the machine with a relative that can store it for us.

As for how mI h we’ll be putting up… don’t really know yet.

We have access to Tractor Supply stores in our area. Good to know. Thanks for the input.
My splitter is a 25 ton CountyLine (TSC). It is not the fastest or sturdiest machine on the market, but it is light, reliable and economical to purchase and operate. If you're in Northern Michigan, I highly doubt you have any wood it can't handle.

We have access to Tractor Supply stores in our area. Good to know. Thanks for the input.
I bought one of the Tractor Supply 40-ton splitters this summer, and i couldn`t be happier with it.
It has a 9 second cycle time. Great running (Kohler) engine on it.
Has tilt feature for super heavy rounds that you can`t lift.

With the 2nd pull on the starter rope its always running. I paid $2300 for it. ZERO regrets!
It plows through any hardwoods i`ve put through it. Motor doesn`t even bog down at all.

1695164292558.png

Shop around because you can find them used as well. I gave 350 for mine back in 2016.View attachment 1113864
Thats a heck a good deal! I looked around for 2yrs for a decent deal on a used one, but in my area, its extremely rare to find, thats why i bought a new one. Even if you do find a used one where i live, they are beat to death and cost alot of money to make them run again. I figured with buying a new one, i`m not buying someone else`s headache, or trying to find parts to fix it.

Thats a heck a good deal! I looked around for 2yrs for a decent deal on a used one, but in my area, its extremely rare to find, thats why i bought a new one. Even if you do find a used one where i live, they are beat to death and cost alot of money to make them run again. I figured with buying a new one, i`m not buying someone else`s headache, or trying to find parts to fix it.
Just needed some general maintenance done. I keep it up the only real problem is the fuel pump diaphram in the carb i already put two in it.

We are in the market for our first log splitter and have narrowed our options down to a select few machines. I really like the speed and simplicity of the kinetic style splitters and would love to go for a Super Split, but a lead time of 16 weeks and higher cost are making that a difficult choice. Seems like numerous companies come out with kinetic splitters, then don't continue to make them (Oregon, DR Power, etc.). I like the price point and availability of the DK2 40-Ton Kinetic splitter, but don't have a good feel for their build quality or reliability.

My neighbor has had good luck with a NorthStar hydraulic splitter from Nothern Tool and I'm very close to pulling the trigger on one of their 37-Ton models with the torsion axle setup and Kohler CH440 engine. I'd welcome any feedback from you all.
Iron & Oak and Eastonmade are good splitters.

My 30 ton TSC unit has been awesome but they have gone up a lot. I paid $1300 4 years ago, same unit is $2200 as of last Saturday.
I’m seeing a lot of votes for the TSC County Line splitters. They look a lot like the pictures of the ones that Oregon sells, but those seem to be hard to find around here. Guess I will go take a look at the local TSC.

Scott
If time was on my side, I'd go with Iron and Oak. I've rented that model, excellent.
The kinetics work faster, but as far as I know don't pivot down to split vertically. A must for bigger rounds.
I decided to buy a conventional splitter to save my shoulders from manual maul splitting. A few years ago, during covid supply issues, it was slim pickings. Locally, between Lowes, Home Depot and Tractor Supply. Lowes and HD's , looked OK, but seemed to have sloppier welds, thinner metal, and they were rusting on display. Looked at Tractor Supply, 25 ton. Welded better, heavier metal, no paint (rust) issues, and rave reviews. That is what I bought. 25 ton has split everything I've thrown at it. I made my own log catcher as TS's was smaller and medium duty. So far, so good. Change engine oil, change hydro filter, keep clean, will hold it's value. Seems decent on fuel also.
My only caution on any, esp TS's, is to check for rust in the carburetor float bowl as rain water seeps through the carb's air filter's hold down screw / wing nut if they display the machine uncovered. If you do get a TS, see if one is available in it's crate. Mine has gone up $350 since purchase 3 years ago.
A log catcher is a must.
Good luck on your decision.

My splitter is a 25 ton CountyLine (TSC). It is not the fastest or sturdiest machine on the market, but it is light, reliable and economical to purchase and operate. If you're in Northern Michigan, I highly doubt you have any wood it can't handle.
I have the same splitter and think it'll work great for OP. Being retired, usually a 2 second cycle time is not required.

Random unmanaged trees will often have weird forks and knots that will make a kinetic splitter useless.

I'll second the used route. I gave $475 for a 27 ton MTD splitter a couple of years ago and it's meeting my needs just fine. It will split anything I can lift onto the splitter, and I lift things that are WAY bigger than I should. If it's too big to lift, I noodle it with a 90cc saw, and then lift the halves or quarters onto the splitter. It would go faster if I built a slip on 4 way wedge, but it's plenty fast for me as is. I did add tables to both sides (I'd have to remove them to run it vertically again). I had been looking for a splitter for years, and had seen several decent ones for around $500, but I was too much of a tight wad to spend the money until my shoulder started giving me fits from splitting hickory for hours on end with an 8 lb maul. After 1 particular splitting session one winter evening, I couldn't swing so much as a Fiskars axe for over a month. I decided that a hydraulic splitter was going to be a mandatory purchase before the next season because, even new, it would be cheaper than surgery.

How much you burn and how long you cut your firewood, and how small you need to split it will determine what you need. I only burn 4 cords a year (6 on a really cold one), and my single wedge splitter keeps up just fine. If I were doing 10 cord or more, or if I were needing to split stuff down to 4 or 5 inches (I normally just split it down to 6"-8" pieces), I'd want something with 4 way or 6 way wedge. I'd still try to start off with a used machine and see how it does. That will establish your base line and at least get you through the first year. After that, you'll have a better idea of what you really need and can upgrade to something bigger/faster if need be.

Most are all similar made. I got a old Dirty Hands for 100 bucks and rebuilt it, prince valve and pump kit (vevor) 140, hydraulic cylinder rebuild kit 15 bucks (amazon) 2 hoses made locally 45. Kohler with blown rod, and cost of parts were ridiculous, put a preditor 6.5 on it 140 bucks from Harbor freight. original retail at Lowes 1199 in 2017

Latest posts

Back