7900 dawgs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FWIW I modified the stock Oz/US spikes like this

attachment.php

Searching for that photo I just re-discovered I even have a thread on it :laugh: http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=142840&highlight=dolmar+spikes

It made a big difference with the type of timber I cut.

A little more Slick...

The dawgs work perfect, even @ 6000' with full comp:hmm3grin2orange:

I like the way they bite...

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5gDlHmQkcSk?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5gDlHmQkcSk?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

They look similar to the set MCW had on one of his huskys. He reports they actually bite too much for their own good, but they sure look kool.

Yeah that's right Andy. In our hardwoods they were just nasty. They jammed into the wood that far that they were actually bad for productivity.
Bigger is not always best but I'm sure they would have a place on softwoods with extremely thick bark. We don't have trees like that here :(

These were the stupidly large ones on my 390XPG - they were removed quickly and were quite frankly a waste of money...

DSCF0708.jpg

And these were a modified set of 390XP HD spikes fitted to my 7900. They work really well. Although when cutting cookies or softwoods the standard 7900 spikes work fine, in really hard wood they aren't sharp enough and some of their angles are a bit off - especially on that bottom spike like where Rick fixed his. I'd love to get a video of standard 7900 spikes when trying to fell one of our dead hardwoods. You honestly just give up as they quite simply will not dig in. Standard Husky or Stihl spikes don't have the same problem. A 1mm cutting disc, a few welds, and a belt sander to finish it off and these were made to fit easily in under an hour.

DSCF0714.jpg

DSCF0716.jpg

Last edited:
I'm off this Thursday until the 2nd.

Deliberations are not going well, but there is still a chance. She makes a few valid points:

A. This is the last trip we will be taking together before our little girl is born in February and she had hoped we would be spending a lot of time together.

B. There will not be much room in the Jeep as I am delivering a sculpture for an exhibition in Cincinnati as well as Christmas presents.

I may be able to slip it in under the suitcases at the last minute tonight. I'll keep you and Andre posted;)

Deliberations are not going well, but there is still a chance. She makes a few valid points:

A. This is the last trip we will be taking together before our little girl is born in February and she had hoped we would be spending a lot of time together.

B. There will not be much room in the Jeep as I am delivering a sculpture for an exhibition in Cincinnati as well as Christmas presents.

I may be able to slip it in under the suitcases at the last minute tonight. I'll keep you and Andre posted;)

Tell her that we don't want you for two whole weeks:)

They seem a little big for our east coast stuff. I had a pair of those Pro-Safety dawgs on a 460 for about three seconds. Stock saw in hardwood and they sucked. Now they reside on a not so stock saw in hardwood. Only problem is its not my saw! LOL

Latest posts

Back