burnt out and ready to sell out...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arbor pro

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
It's time to sell out and pursue other interests. After 27 years of tree work, I just don't have the enthusiasm I used to for this kind of work and, on top of that, don't have the patience for customers who don't appreciate the effort involved with what tree guys (and gals) do. Case in hand - I just climbed and pieced down 3 large spruce trees in a back yard next to a county club golf course. Hauled out all the debris with a mini skid and wheelbarrow using plywood in turn areas and overtop of irrigation valve boxes where they couldn't be avoided with the mini. We then ground out the stumps using a rayco 1631 sj, hauled out all the grindings plus all the needles and dirty landscape rock - total of about 8 tons worth - all this for what I consider a very mere $1200 and, today, the HO comes into my office and complains that we did a messy job because we 'almost' ran over 3 marked sprinkler heads and broke one of 6" round valve boxes. Tomorrow, he's having his irrigation guy come out to 'test and repair' the system and I'm pretty sure he'll expect me to pay the bill. And, I'll do it because, in elite communities you can't afford to get bad word of mouth. Of course, I've put myself in this position by working to attain the accounts of the wealthy. As a reward, I get to deal with people who have no sense of what means to come home every night to compressed disks, bleeding hands and arms, dehydration headaches and, to top it off, carpel tunnel and leg cramps so bad they keep you up half the night.

As icing on the cake, as we leave the jobsite of the aforementioned customer, we run both trucks and trailers over some road debris and wind up with flat tires on everything including the dump trailer and dump truck both loaded to the brim. Maybe I should send the HO the bill for all the tire repairs as well as for the replacement stump grinder teeth that we broke on the steel post embedded into one of the tree stumps.

Of course, I won't because that's not how I do business. Besides, i doubt that he'll care. That's my problem, not his.

As I said, I've been doing this for 27 years now and I've found that for every one sourpuss there are at least 20 good customers that are a pleasure to work for. The problem is that I'm burnt out on dealing with the sourpusses and just burnt out in general. Knowing that I'm ready to throw in the towel, my foreman has offered to buy me out. He's young and ready to take on the world - a real good guy too. I just hope his good nature sees future as a glass half full. My glass has been half empty for about the last year and a half. Time to let it go and find something else to do. If there's no passion in the work you do, there will never be enough money to make you happy. Content for awhile, perhaps - but not happy. Life's too short to just settle for content.

Thanks for letting me vent today. Time to go home and hug the kids and wife. Life is certainly a blessing in many other areas of my life so no need to despair. Just need to work on other work interests that are more fulfilling at this point in my life.

AP

Well guy, if that was the straw that broke the camel's back then you should've gave her an earful. If you do decide to get the eff out, at least make it feel real good.

Well guy, if that was the straw that broke the camel's back then you should've gave her an earful. If you do decide to get the eff out, at least make it feel real good.

sorry - not my style.

Most things can be fixed. A broken worn out body after many years at the plow isn't one of them. I know as most of us do every morning getting out of bed. Yielded to the younger guys years ago, hard call to make. One thing for sure that day will come for all. Best of luck!

After a bad accident six years ago I did a lot of soul searching and decided to revert back to doing tree work on just a part time basis. Career change didn't pan out for me, but I eventually caught the tree bug again. I start looking forward to TCI Expo now, even though it's still 3 months away, lol.
I bought a really good book at a used book store years ago: "How to Get and Keep Good Clients" by Jay Foonberg. Cost me a whole $1.00. The author is a lawyer. The "Client's Curve of Gratitude" is awesome. I dunno if you Google that, it might come up.
I let my estimator buddy line up jobs, pursue leads, collect payment and deal with customers. It is the part of the job I least enjoy, anyway. I'd rather just maintain the equipment, and do the work.

silver lining?

Sounds like you are ready for new challenges/passions.I know how you feel having owned/operated a mechanized landclearing/wholetree chipping operation for 21 years.(40,000-70,000 tons of chips annually)Phone calls at 3:00 am at home dealing with broken chip tractor trailers weren't fun. To be successful was all consuming.No 50-60 hour weeks.I wish you happiness in your new endeavors should you decide to go in another direction.I'm surprised how good my life is considering how much satisfaction I felt from building a business.It's nice to go at whatever pace pleases me now.Good luck in your endeavors.Gary

Sounds like you need to hire a climber. Step back and let your crew do the work. Charge more, you're worth it and they can afford it. You do a difficult job and get it done carefully and skillfully. I've been doing this for 30 years and occasionally feel the way you described. Most of the time it's good, though. When most of the time it isn't good I'll get out of it. Hopefully this is just a bump in the road.

Sorry to hear about all the B.S. Well I guess the saying goes " Nothing ventured, nothing gained". Gains haven't been there so time for a venture or adventure. Good luck and All the Best. I hear you about idiot customer's who are so ignorant to what we do.. I am sick of it and do not put up with it. I will tell them exactly what I think of them and the situation. Always got work and was slow when it's slow,,so..

All the Best and may your future endeavours lead to lots of work.... and no customers.. idiots customers anyways..

Been there, done that, sort of...

The last year that I ran a BIG landscaping/ grounds management co was 2002. We were mowing 300 AC. a week & doing installs Mon., Tues., & Sat. I spent the entire summer fixing machines that were broken from operator error & repairing customers' properties (e.g. grass blown into mulch beds, mowed over garden hoses, etc.).

I had had enough of the 16 hr days. Now it's just me, no more worrying about making payroll, no more worrying about "what else are they going to screw up today".

Now days, I do some mowing for the county, sell a little firewood, do small engine repair, push snow (if we get any), & rebuild Meyer plow pumps.

I'm not on my way to becoming a millionaire, but I probably wouldn't have anyway. Now I'm just making a living w/ a lot less headaches.

Best of luck, whichever way you go...

Cheers, Scott. Your story strikes a nerve, but that's another tale. Best wishes in your next endeavor. I'm sure you'll do well.

AP I know the feeling you have right now . Had a wonderful type day yesterday myself . Last 6 ft of trunk ####ing full of concrete.Totally ruined 2 chains and told the HO I would try one more time ,but the next time white dust came out of the kirf, her tree would be considered DONE. Well, droppped down lower hoping to miss it but hit the #### again . That was the end of that . The job was remove 40 ft sweetgum to ground,haul off all debris 650.00 andTop citrus tree to make safe for HO removal,no hauling. N/C with above work .

We went ahead and cut the fruit tree all the way down for them to help them out and low and behold they decided they wanted to keep it as a hat rack and asked what I was goint to do to ''Make it right '' with them for cutting it all the way down since the bid sheet only said to top it even though they told they were going to cut it down.
OMFG No good deed goes unpunished.

I ended up only getting 600.00 .Lost 3 25 in chains and had to grind the fruit tree stump for nothing.

Some days it just SUCKS.

I hope you find what you're looking for . Sometimes all you need is a good vacation.
Ironicly for me ,it was only my second job after coming back from a cruise with the wife and kids.

Today was a lot better and finally got paid from a deadbeat I did a job for back in May. We were due in court 9:00 monday morning. His Mother actually ended up writing the check.She did not like the fact that there was a 150.00 court cost fee in addition to the 400 balance they owed.Told her if I was paid on time I wouldn't have had to file suit in court.Oh well. I was told to shove that money up my ass.I guess they didn't think I would take them to court and I would just let them screw me over . Total scum bags they were.

I've switched jobs/careers/business's a few times. Before you go to far, get the carpel tunnel fixed. I waited to long on mine. Getting the surgery was a major improvement in my life. Being able to sleep at night, dramatically improves your waking hours.

I suppose i need to spend more down time with my kids and just relax. My wife and I bought an acreage this spring and have been developing it before we build a house next year. Had to tear down an old house right away, sell and move off a manufactured home, build a shop for the business, develop and maintain a new 1/2 acre garden for the wife and clean up trees on 4 acres. Been a labor of love for sure but going non-stop from sunup to sundown 7 days a week. I suppose that's partly why I'm burnt out on working for customers but it's more the sour attitudes of a few that are really getting to me lately. Of course, lack of sleep might play into that as well.

Something to make me smile this morning - a couple pics of the acreage progression from the time we bought it this spring to recent: View attachment 247224View attachment 247225View attachment 247226View attachment 247227View attachment 247229

It's fatigue, Brother. Scale back on what you are doing and get some rest, at least for a short while. Broom the bad customers; be polite, but charge them more next time to cover your "lossess" Muscle/tendon cramps that keep you up at night could be mineral deficiencies: potassium, magnesium, calcium, and iron suppliments make a huge difference, especially as we get older, but don't over compensate, "all things is moderation".

Scott,

I was under the impression you were part-time. Perhaps scaling back to a day or two a week would keep the bug in you, and if you just take on "good" clientele, for higher prices, perhaps you would be able to keep your business and work at your other job as well.

Scott,

I was under the impression you were part-time. Perhaps scaling back to a day or two a week would keep the bug in you, and if you just take on "good" clientele, for higher prices, perhaps you would be able to keep your business and work at your other job as well.

LOL - it's the 'good' clientele with the money that I find to be the most stressful to work for...

Tree work is usually just two nights a week plus saturday. However, I get about 5 hours in each week night and 12-15 hours in on saturday so that equals around 25 hours total. Of course, I still have to maintain equipment, bid jobs and do office work on the other nights so it's pretty much a 40-50 hour, 6-days-a-week part-time job when you factor everything in.

I can deal with a throbbing foot (dropped a big log on it saturday) and carpel tunnel and a sore back - but what I can't deal with is being grumpy around my family. I've burnt up most of the vacation days I get with my primary job by doing tree work so now I don't have any leave available to take a family vacation. It doesn't both me so much but it's not fair to my family. Something has to give or all my kids will remember of their dad is a guy who worked all the time and never had time nor energy for the fun stuff.

I was in a similiar spot and needed to give up one job. I was teaching auto and doing hillside tractor work/drilling. I gave up the tractor work and my life improved. The money was nice, but having a life, and being healthy was more important. Get the carpal tunnel fixed.

LOL - it's the 'good' clientele with the money that I find to be the most stressful to work for...

Tree work is usually just two nights a week plus saturday. However, I get about 5 hours in each week night and 12-15 hours in on saturday so that equals around 25 hours total. Of course, I still have to maintain equipment, bid jobs and do office work on the other nights so it's pretty much a 40-50 hour, 6-days-a-week part-time job when you factor everything in.

I can deal with a throbbing foot (dropped a big log on it saturday) and carpel tunnel and a sore back - but what I can't deal with is being grumpy around my family. I've burnt up most of the vacation days I get with my primary job by doing tree work so now I don't have any leave available to take a family vacation. It doesn't both me so much but it's not fair to my family. Something has to give or all my kids will remember of their dad is a guy who worked all the time and never had time nor energy for the fun stuff.

You're on the right track. Take a break. My Grandad, before he died, said that he should have played more with the kids- my parents and the grandkids.

And yes, rich people can be HIGH maintenance; they are spoiled in that they are used to having their way, right away, NOW!!!! And then they place no value in your service when it suits them. Truly, "money answereth all things", but the biggest mistake in any business, is to start chasing money.

My dad passed away a couple years ago. He was that guy that always worked 7 days a week. Leave at 5am come home at 4pm leave at 6pm come home at 9pm and go to bed. He still found more time to play with us and go out with my mom then most of my friends dads. In the end he vocalized his only regret as being "not spending more time with his family".

I started down the same path but quickly realized it ain't worth it.

If your "second" job takes care of the bills, I'd get rid of the "third" job and spend more time on your "first" job being a husband and a father. I am just learning to do this and the rewards are priceless! Got a fourth child on the way and most are looking at me like I am crazy because of the economy and how little I make now. I figure God gave me these little gifts, He will provide as well :rock:

Back