Bobcats make life so much easier!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would have to agree, skid steers are one of the most useful machines out there. I really miss the one I used to operate.

Just out of interest sake, why don't I see multi purpose (4 in 1) buckets on US machines? I could not imagine operating a skid steer with other one. It makes the machine even more useful - dozing, grading, levelling, grabbing and the list goes on.

Cheaper to just turn the stat up and burn propane.... Kinda like deer hunting for the free meat...

Keep it simple folks!!!!! If ya dont, wood is more than gas.

On one hand, I am in total agreement with you. I already have a ton wrapped up in my Central Boiler, truck, trailers, saws, parts, and the associated tools that come along with it all. The Central Boiler alone will pay itself self off in 7 years, probably quicker considering rising costs of electricity. My 3600sq ft house was previously electric baseboard heat. Not cheap to heat!

But on the other hand, cutting wood has become more of a hobby than a chore that keeps me busy and allows me to spend time with my family and friends doing something other than going out to the bars and such. Can't forget the fact that I love the outdoors! I've saved a bunch of money by building some of the tools that I involve like my 5th wheel trailer, log splitter log lift, and also by doing all chainsaw work myself.

I've come to realize now that I'm no longer burning wood to save money. When I score a Bobcat, I may even start selling firewood...

I just looked on ebay at those t190s. akk, nice tool, expensive used. I think you really would have an absolute need for one and be making money with it somehow, or otherwise afford it.

Of course the two diesel lawnmowers I use are similar priced. (not mine, I just use them, rather have for the same money just one mower and one of these tracked jobbies)

I know what would happen though if I had one to use, I'd push the envelope and bury it feet deep in the mud someplace....sport! Then I would know how far to push it...

You guys who have them, realistically now, how deep how nasty and what kind of mud can you operate one in? Around here in the deep clay, I can't see one of these being all that efective as it would bottom out fast, but..never used a tracked one at all, and only used rubber tired ones on real hard suraces. There's a skid steer here with wheels but it only gets used on hard surfaces for the most part.

Being heavy with a little footprint on skidder tires, you won't do much in mud without tracks. They dig quick and with a bucket you can get yourself out of hairy situations pretty effectively if you know how to run one.

Being heavy with a little footprint on skidder tires, you won't do much in mud without tracks. They dig quick and with a bucket you can get yourself out of hairy situations pretty effectively if you know how to run one.

Oh ya, I know it would have to be tracked. I have run two different skid steers, just with wheels. there's no way I would take one much off road unless the dirt was pretty hard.

I think..just musing now..for my purposes working here, money invested towards productivity, if I wanted to do commercial levels of firewood, I'd use a heavy 4wd truck with a boom crane on it. The truck would hold a log splitter and the saws and tools etc. Boom loads the splitter off and on to the side. Attached to truck is a dump trailer. Establish a client base that takes green fresh cut and split. Drive in, measure logs before cutting so you can guesstimate cords and a little, cut, split, load, go deliver right from there. No stacking or reloading at all. Ya, it's nice to pick up the logs for cutting, I have done that with the rear forks on the tractor, but it isn't necessary either, I have developed enough technique to cut big stuff into rounds fairly effectively now using wedges and sledge hammers and a trolley jack and a log lifter. I also have gotten into the habit of laying out cross logs for big trees to fall on, that helps a lot with the bucking later.

On one hand, I am in total agreement with you. I already have a ton wrapped up in my Central Boiler, truck, trailers, saws, parts, and the associated tools that come along with it all. The Central Boiler alone will pay itself self off in 7 years, probably quicker considering rising costs of electricity. My 3600sq ft house was previously electric baseboard heat. Not cheap to heat!

But on the other hand, cutting wood has become more of a hobby than a chore that keeps me busy and allows me to spend time with my family and friends doing something other than going out to the bars and such. Can't forget the fact that I love the outdoors! I've saved a bunch of money by building some of the tools that I involve like my 5th wheel trailer, log splitter log lift, and also by doing all chainsaw work myself.

I've come to realize now that I'm no longer burning wood to save money. When I score a Bobcat, I may even start selling firewood...

Yep, couldn't agree more! Plus there are some of us who truly enjoy the warmth that is achieved from wood heat.

Plus, how many people have tractors for their property? This is a multiple use tool just like a tractor. It's difficult to say the entire cost of investment is somehow driven by firewood alone.

Just out of interest sake, why don't I see multi purpose (4 in 1) buckets on US machines? I could not imagine operating a skid steer with other one. It makes the machine even more useful - dozing, grading, levelling, grabbing and the list goes on.

Because we here in the good 'ol USA are skilled enough to operate skid loaders with just a regular bucket:msp_wink:

Last edited:
I would have to agree, skid steers are one of the most useful machines out there. I really miss the one I used to operate.

I use a 4 in 1 on my 743 quite a bit, couldn't live without it. For moving logs and brush I bought a grapple bucket, should've done that 20 years ago.

Ed

You guys who have them, realistically now, how deep how nasty and what kind of mud can you operate one in? Around here in the deep clay, I can't see one of these being all that efective as it would bottom out fast, but..never used a tracked one at all, and only used rubber tired ones on real hard suraces. There's a skid steer here with wheels but it only gets used on hard surfaces for the most part.

I have 4' of clay-ey sand below the first foot of peaty sand, and it gets very plastic when you thrash though the same mudhole about fifty times. With no load, it floats well, with the load, it will have to wade, but it will drag its belly pan through it. My old tires on a Bobcat had nothing to give, the brandy new tires just load up and they are effectively bald. SOLD. Sorry to see it go for 10k hours on the original Kubota diesel motor and hydro pump ( which NEVER had any work done to it, EVER. Just hoses.), but with the Ranch being what it is, I had to get the RC-30.

In a former business, I knew the ASV Positrack could climb a mountain of sand straight up so the ASV R- series was going to be it. I chose the Baby RC-30, and I'm as fast as any many on a 75hp Bobcat, yet I can get through 48" gates. The little jobs I do are largely referrals from companies that don't have one this small.

I have no doubt my kind of mud is the worst kind, very plastic, and sticky as can be.

I doze, grade and level with a standard bucket, I have a rootrake/grapple to pick stuff up with, and forks though I don't use them much for pallets. The four in one is just not picker upper enough for me to have a sloppy bucket. No point in compromising.

Cheaper to just turn the stat up and burn propane.... Kinda like deer hunting for the free meat...

Keep it simple folks!!!!! If ya dont, wood is more than gas.

I'd have to think that most of us that own a bobcat own them out of necessity, not luxury. Firewood use is just a bonus that comes with ownership.

Track machines seem to be on the want list of many posters on this board. But I think for the average homeowner to own a track machine isn't the best idea. Yes, they are awesome. But the price that accompanies owning a track machine is steep. If the machine is making you money, it can be justified, if not, you better have a big billfold. A new set of tracks are upwards of $5000, cheaper tracks are just that, at 3k. Rollers, idlers, sprockets, wear out and cost more than a set of tires. And if any poor sole owns a machine with a AVS track system. He will need to be heavily medicated for life, after trying to do maintenance on the under carriage of his machine. There is no such thing as buying "decent" used track machine without spending a lot of $$$. Most all have been beat up by construction crews and traded off. Re-painted, cleaned up, engine compartment steam cleaned, and new stickers. They look brand new once again, but hide the real reason for trading them off. Just be careful when purchasing something your not familiar with. The engine is only one part of the machine, and its the easiest to maintain. The hidden parts that are not visible and accessible are the ones that seem to give us trouble. Like the drive motors, chains, sprockets, hydraulic pumps, bearings, seals, u-joints, just to name a some. All need to be maintained and repaired. But this shouldnt discourage anyone from owning one. Rather, to open their eyes before purchasing a lemon.

I used to run bob cats and other tracked machines. I couldn't find one reasonably priced, so I built my own loader for my tractor... Its been a real life saver

9E593711-7AF0-41A3-931B-57A872EF0320-361-000001027F566696.jpg

7FCB672C-E90E-45D0-88D7-227E8EA656DC-157-0000003B84E6F531.jpg

c0f82591.jpg

f23855cf.jpg

That'll work!

It does! I was a new homeowner and a little house broke, but had a little 4x4 diesel tractor.. I was a fabricator and welder for years so it was a no brainer for me. Less than 1K in the loader setup and its more useful to me with a tractor than having a skid loader for my property.

I doze, grade and level with a standard bucket, I have a rootrake/grapple to pick stuff up with, and forks though I don't use them much for pallets. The four in one is just not picker upper enough for me to have a sloppy bucket. No point in compromising.

Yeah I guess if you have more attachments available then a 4in1 isn't really needed. Over here machine attachments cost an arm and a leg so most operators make do with a 4in1 for all jobs. I ended up building myself a root rake grapple for around 1/4 of the price. Very handy for cleaning up all kinds of stuff.

Latest posts

Back