Slash piles

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhiteMike

ArboristSite Member
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just built a house and the contractor was nice enough to leave me with 4 huge slash piles pretty close to some timbered areas. I have 5 acres of dense timber on my property and am looking for ways other than burning to get rid of these big piles that way I can start fresh and just have one pile to burn every winter moving forward from here. At first I was planing on tarping them and then torch them once we get a healthy snow blanket covering everything else, but is there another way I can get rid of these piles before winter that won't leave a huge mess of brunt wood? Can I rent a piece of equipment that will mulch all of this stuff, like a skid steer with a specific attachment, etc.? I don't care so much about the mess of wood chips, id rather have that than a bunch of burnt wood. the piles consist of logs, big stumps, and branches.

Call a couple tree care companies to see what they'd charge to chop it up and just blow the chips into your woods. Someone may be willing to do it relatively cheap if it fits their schedule.

A Fecon mower (also called a Forestry mower or Forestry head) is a wood eater on a skid steer (or purpose made machine). It would chew through piles in no time. I've looked to rent on before but couldn't find one here. Land clearing companies would have one.

I just built a house and the contractor was nice enough to leave me with 4 huge slash piles pretty close to some timbered areas. I have 5 acres of dense timber on my property and am looking for ways other than burning to get rid of these big piles that way I can start fresh and just have one pile to burn every winter moving forward from here. At first I was planing on tarping them and then torch them once we get a healthy snow blanket covering everything else, but is there another way I can get rid of these piles before winter that won't leave a huge mess of brunt wood? Can I rent a piece of equipment that will mulch all of this stuff, like a skid steer with a specific attachment, etc.? I don't care so much about the mess of wood chips, id rather have that than a bunch of burnt wood. the piles consist of logs, big stumps, and branches.
Mulch/tub grind or pay to have it hualed off Both are insanely expensive.

3 days with a decent sized excavator and same rain those piles will be distant memories.

Burning is different in every state and county, so check local regs
you can also have a small fire about every weekend and just pluck away at it, you will be surprised how fast it goes away with just hand labor.

Call a couple tree care companies to see what they'd charge to chop it up and just blow the chips into your woods. Someone may be willing to do it relatively cheap if it fits their schedule.

A Fecon mower (also called a Forestry mower or Forestry head) is a wood eater on a skid steer (or purpose made machine). It would chew through piles in no time. I've looked to rent on before but couldn't find one here. Land clearing companies would have one.
The businesses, that own this equip't, also employee Guys who are more than aware of the 360' safety needs. The notion that this could be done in a regular 8-hr. day,....same week?...........you've made all the calls to make. Hire the Man.
The value is in the handshake.

If you burn it proper there shouldn’t be no left over burnt wood. Tarp it before a snow fall, get some diesel and get the fire going. You can go to Walmart and grab a mini pump sprayer for like 10$ that makes it easier to spread the fire around and get it into the center without wasting a bunch of diesel. Couple pieces of dry split firewood helps the starting process as well. Keep pushing the logs/stray pieces into the center with a shovel

Latest posts

Back