Stihl 026 problems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wood-row Wilson

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Been having problems for awhile with my older 026 pro and just can't seem to figure it out. Was running into problems that lead to a failed carb clean/gaskets replaced before I brought it do the dealer and they fixed (they gave me the wrong kit and I didn't realize it?).

Got the saw back and it ran okay, not great. Idled a little rough, couldn't seem to keep a good idle...ESPECIALLY after it had gotten hot. Would run the raw for a good 10 minutes then have to keep the finger on the throttle to keep the engine running to keep working with it. Now for the hard part...

I ran some straight gas through it on accident :mad:

Made the mistake of putting a mix in one tank and straight in another when both are marked as 50:1. Honestly not sure how much I ran through, but some of it at high RPM's. The very recent problems with the saw, when before I KNOW I was running a good mix, made me not notice the straight gas as soon as I would have otherwise :help:.

Dumped out the bad, put in the good and haven't had it running good since. Put in a new carb that I had ordered previously, hoping that would solve the issues -- Nope! Looked at the piston and it looked okay. Currently, will not start unless I put a spritz of starter fluid into the carb. Then it rears high, chain spins, then quickly dies.

Any help appreciated!

whatcha got for compression, also sounds like it needs to be vac checked. My 260 ran very erratically and once it was warmed up smoothened out a little, replaced crank seals and runs great.

Sounds like it is getting spark. Doesn't sound like it is getting fuel. Check your fuel line/fuel filter. Make sure it is clean and make sure there are no holes/cracks in your fuel line. This will require removal of the fuel line from the saw to get a close look at the fuel line. Even a small crack can cause a problem. You could also not be getting any impulse. Check the line coming from the engine to the carburetor. This line is supplying pressure & vacuum to the carburetor diaphragm to pump fuel. I remove the spark plug (to make the saw easy to pull over) and put a dab of engine oil in the line and pull the starter. If it blows the oil out you have good impulse. If it doesn't then you need to go deeper to find out why you don't have impulse. Typically this is just a broken line or the line fell off the fitting at the crankcase. However, this could also be due to faulty crank seals, but that is unlikely in your scenario.

Everything I listed above is under the assumption that the carburetor is in good condition. If you have any questions about the carburetor pull it apart and check it out or just replace it. You also should run a compression test to make sure you didn't do some hidden damage with that straight gas. If you're running 100psi or less you need to dig into the saw. It should be running upwards of 150-175 psi.

Good luck. Let us know what you find out.

It sounds like you have multiple issues.
1. Pull the muffler look at the piston.
2. If piston looks good. compression test the saw.
3. Compression is around 150psi vac test the saw.
4. Replace seals on the flywheel side when vac test tells you that.
5. Get the correct kit and rebuild the carb.
6. Check fuel line for cranks too.

Report back on what you find.

I wouldnt try to run it anymore until I pulled the cylinder to check the damage. May be able to save it without having to buy another engine.

Definetly need to pressure and vacuum test it. See if the cylinder is damaged from the straight gas. You can clean the transfer off them if theres no scarring.

It sounds like you have multiple issues.
1. Pull the muffler look at the piston.
2. If piston looks good. compression test the saw.
3. Compression is around 150psi vac test the saw.
4. Replace seals on the flywheel side when vac test tells you that.
5. Get the correct kit and rebuild the carb.
6. Check fuel line & impulse hose for cracks too.

Report back on what you find.

Fixed it for ya

I suppose I could check the impulse and fuel lines again, but these babies are new as of the first carb rebuild attempt. Granted I have been poking around the area since the initial carb rebuild. Keep in mind that I put a brand new carb in the engine, too.

Will have to invest in a compression tester and check that out, will report my findings.

Thanks for all the ideas, very helpful!

Pull the muffler and take a peek at the piston.

Sounds like you may have fried your top end, but even *good* 026s have marginal seals and crank bearings. I have several, and that is the first parts order I usually make: 1 set of crank bearings and seals, followed by fuel line then impulse hose. The rest lasts for ever unless the oiler quits!

Any new saws that I can use this saw as a parts saw? Can't be buying used saws from morons that run straight gas through them :bang:

Still haven't had the chance to look, but preparing for the worst.

Back