Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thats very sweet Mark! I wish mine had a brake.

I never tried it but Mark Randy or someone will know. Does a 330 clutch cover with brake fit a 365? If so just buy a 365 sticker and slap on it. If you care about such things.

If nobody responds by evening I will swap one. Heck swap and see if your 3750 clutch cover will fit the 365. I've never paid attention to that.

Mark didnt you use a PP330 dawg at one time and shorten one up somewhere into a more usable shorter dawg? Looking for pics but cant find.

I have some I want to shorten up.

No it wasnt me, but I seen that and it will just take a littel metal work to do it.

I never tried it but Mark Randy or someone will know. Does a 330 clutch cover with brake fit a 365? If so just buy a 365 sticker and slap on it. If you care about such things.

If nobody responds by evening I will swap one. Heck swap and see if your 3750 clutch cover will fit the 365. I've never paid attention to that.

Yeah I'm sure they will swap.

I will probably just find a hand guard, then find another 365 that has a brake.:rock:

I got some PP325 handguards, I'll check to see if they will fit sometime and you can have one if they do.

I will probably just find a hand guard, then find another 365 that has a brake.:rock:

No need to IMO.

Here you go 330 365 clutch cover swap perfect and fit perfect on each other. Just slap a 365 sticker on a 330 cover.

330365001.jpg

Thanks jj! Thats very good info. I will keep an eye out for a chain brake on the bay.

Mark, I would still be interested in a hand guard if one turns up.

Ran my 4000 yesterday with the 32" on it yesterday. Wow! Been a while since that small of a saw quickly zipped thru logs that big.

Got a 4200 coming soon, and will see how it measures up.

With saws of this caliber, how come Poulan didn't survive in this market?

Amazing the differences in these two saws??

4200 http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c86/acguy2/photobucket-46338-1355005512415.jpg

4000 http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c86/acguy2/photobucket-51018-1355005573589.jpg

Bob, if you were asking what the big difference is between the two, I guess you will find out when you run the 4200. I think they are about 3 lbs heavier filled with oil but gas tanks empty
The torque that the larger reed valve saws is amazing. You have to experience it. No need to but you can lean hard on them in the cut and it's like they don't know you're there.

Let us know what you think after you try it out.

Poulan suffered the same fate as many companies who were bought out. Electrolux changed the strategy of Poulan from a pro saw manufacturer to a consumer saw manufacturer that sells product wherever they can get it on the shelf. It's all about market share and profits. Te consumer segment is the one that's growing and it's cheaper to throw them away and buy new than it is to take them to a shop for repair. The sad part is the end of a superb line of pro saws. The up side for us is almost everyone out there associates Poulan saw quality / performance with their consumer saws of the last 20 years and it keeps the price of used ones down.

Maybe some day they will be spun off and get back to their roots of building some of the best saws out there.
Anyone I know that's not into saws looks at me like I'm nuts when I tell they are my favorite saws.

I hold out no hope for that Tim. The Electrolux giant seems to be absorbing more and more, and everything they get there mitts on seems to go on a quality slide downward.

The product leaders get the best of the absorbed, and the absorbed become also rans or has beens.

I hold out no hope for that Tim. The Electrolux giant seems to be absorbing more and more, and everything they get there mitts on seems to go on a quality slide downward.

The product leaders get the best of the absorbed, and the absorbed become also rans or has beens.

I know what you mean but these days you never know. Anyhow, The bad name gives us more good saws to pick up for next to nothing close to what their really worth. I suppose some day saw collecting may get expensive and wreck it for most of us.

Taking a road trip tomorrow to pick up 8 saws (and a weed wacker) of various makes with at least one good Poulan amongst them.

Last edited:
Finally got the PP405 I had sent the money out for a month ago in the mail yesterday. Lucky the bar made it, this is how the postman left it. Seems I got luckier than Mark with his Spiegel bar.

Poulan4056.jpg

The saw cleaned up decently, the missing decals are the worse part. i have an inclination that the starter may have been replaced on the saw.

Poulan4058.jpg

Poulan4057.jpg

I noticed that it has a P40 serial tag on it, was this the case with this series?

Sometimes they bring them to you to trade in. Like new strato 3314 and a 45cc JD 450 = echo 4500. It has to be really special for me to make road trip for a saw anymore.

echo4500jd450p3314006.jpg

echo4500jd450p3314007.jpg

echo4500jd450p3314002.jpg

echo4500jd450p3314001.jpg

You're lucky, but not me. I do love a drive in the country and some I double the trip up and chase a few grouse around.
City boys have to drive a piece to get most saws. I can't even buy a fuel tank duck bill check vave near me.
Anyway, I look forward to picking them up as I do working on them. Finshed my 3700 and checking out the Craftsman (2300CVA) and looking forward to getting a bone shaker runnimg as well.

You're lucky, but not me. I do love a drive in the country and some I double the trip up and chase a few grouse around.
City boys have to drive a piece to get most saws. I can't even buy a fuel tank duck bill check vave near me.
Anyway, I look forward to picking them up as I do working on them. Finshed my 3700 and checking out the Craftsman (2300CVA) and looking forward to getting a bone shaker runnimg as well.

I'm just burned out on drives and I live smack dab in the middle of country already. Heck I know where there is a JD 66 twin but I wont drive to get it. Not interested in these twins.
Shoot I dont know what I would drive for anymore. I passed on a like brand new used once I was told MS361 with 20" for $250. If it was local I would buy them all.

I think Mark had a real nice one custom built and given to him if I remember right. After seeing his I did a quick mod on mine with a 4 1/2" angle grinder with a thin cut off blade on it. I spent about 15 minutes on it with very good results. not sure why I can't get the other 2 images to load. :(

I got the pic posting figured out, here you go and Thanks. Thats the one I was looking for. :clap::rock:

You got a pattern by any chance? Save me a little time anyways.

266503d1355022613-330-3-jpg

I got the pic posting figured out, here you go and Thanks. Thats the one I was looking for. :clap::rock:

You got a pattern by any chance? Save me a little time anyways.

Really nice looking saw. I need some decals for one of my 330's. I keep looking but haven't found any.

I have been a little inactive for a while and haven't kept up with the photo posting stuff. I need to get it figured out. I used to know how to do it but then I became stupid...:confused:
I don't have a pattern I just looked at the dawgs on a Stihl I had sitting around and sketched some pencil lines on it and went at it free hand. The origional was/is so ugly I figured I couldn't make it any worse.:msp_biggrin:

I think if you just draw a vertical line at the location that you want the points to be and position them and draw them back to the root of the dawgs you can't go wrong. I will run out to the barn and measure the distance from the front of the saw to the points, be right back.

Looks good. The OEM spike is just plain fugly and takes up too much useable bar length. You did a great job freehanding it. I'll probably attempt the same with the spike on my PP330 soon.

266501d1355022602-330-1-jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back