9 pin .325 large spline rim?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

struggle

Got stumps?
Reaction score
In what case would you want to run a large spline 9 pin .325 rim:popcorn:

I picked up a small box of new rims and found a 9 pin one in .325. It fits right on the MS360 drum I have here at the house but most would run 3/8 on that style of saw:confused:

Will a 9 pin .325 out cut a 8 pin 3/8"

I should be able to try it with 18" bars as I have both in 3/8 and .325

I'm sure no expert, but I'd say the 9x.325 is equal to the 8x3/8

That part I figured would be close on chain speed. What I wonder is how would there be any advantage to running .325 that way as most small saws don't run the large spline rim, so it would have to be run on a large displacement saw and those don't come with .325 factory:confused:

Do you consider 60cc to be a large displacement?

I only know of one saw that came stock with a .325 x 9 sprocket and that was a Poulan 306SA and maybe some 245SA's.

In this case I think the 9 tooth was mainly used to match the chain to the profile of the sharpening stone of the power sharp system on them.

I have a 306SA,that I restored to stock and it cuts surprisingly well with that setup.

Your 360 might like it well also in hardwood, but the .325 chain may not clear chips as well in softwood.

You never know till you try it.

I'm sure no expert, but I'd say the 9x.325 is equal to the 8x3/8

It is very close to 3/8x8 regarding diameter and chain speed at a given rpm.

Some would be surpriced by how well it works if they tried it - but likely only with short bars, because of the chip transport issue?

It is the smallest .325 rim that can be fit on a large spline drum.

You will likely need one dl more than what the bar "calls for" - at least you do with a .325x9 on a MS361, according to Stihl....

It is the smallest .325 rim that can be fit on a large spline drum.

I never thouogh about that. It makes sense that you could not make it an 8 pin on the larger spline.

I will try it out if and when the 360 is up and running.

Yeah, from a few things I've read on here, the US seems to be the only place where 3/8 reigns king. In a lot of other countries, .325 is the main runner. So maybe that's a sprocket for a bigger (60cc++) saw running .325 chain with big sprockets. Just a thought.

Yeah, from a few things I've read on here, the US seems to be the only place where 3/8 reigns king. In a lot of other countries, .325 is the main runner. So maybe that's a sprocket for a bigger (60cc++) saw running .325 chain with big sprockets. Just a thought.
It is one of the recommended options in the operator manual for my MS361....

Here is my ported and pop upped 7900 running a 9 pin .325" rim on a 24" Tsumura in Casuarinas. It was actually a very nice combo to use but unfortunately bluntened too fast in this situation and wasn't efficient as the extra sharpening took too much time. The chain was Carlton K3C semi chisel. On this saw it was no faster in the cut than normal 3/8" semi chisel on an 8 tooth rim. I will say one thing though, it was SMOOTH :)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/itX-YEhTJ3I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back