Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I spent much of the afternoon at SS396driver's today chainsaw milling the poplar while he worked on his new engine install. Lots of talking too! Nice afternoon.
That was the first time I milled poplar and it is not what I expected. I also had to work out kinks with the Granberg on the first board. I haven't used it in a while and never with my MS661 so getting into the groove took a bit. It was the first time with the chain too. Oregon rip chain vs. something else I used in the past-- I cannot recall the brand (the one I broke a bunch of teeth off on an embedded J-hook). I think the Oregon has too many teeth... not enough room to move the swarf efficiently with the 36" bar so it seemed to be slowing the cut down. I need to try a Granberg chain or something else with lots of room for the swarf.
It never occurred to me to take any photos! Perhaps Mark did??
you don't need special chain, just run full skip on the longer bars if chip clearing becomes an issue.
Yeah...

The interesting thing now too with kids maturing sooner (supposedly related to all of the GMO ******** in foods) and the fact that so many more kids are sedentary (and often carrying "adult" weight), they often look much older than they are. Still far too young for most of us to worry about but I can see where a man in his early to mid 20's could easily get in trouble if the young lady lied about her age.

Saw one of the senior gals from my son's class at the baseball game last night, she has put on quite a bit of weight over the winter and honestly I thought she was one of the moms until I saw what car she was driving.
I work with a lot of younger kids being on the evening shift. Never realized how young some of them were till last year. I had stopped to talk with one of the supervisors, and 3 of the area managers were there. One of them was talking about going out for her birthday. I asked how old she was, and she said just turned 21! 2 of the other girls there said 26 and just turned 19. Tyler is closer to my age,31. And he said I'd be very surprised how young a lot of the kids were. These are people I've worked with for going on 4 years and never would have guessed any of them wernt in their late 20's ro early 30's. I can say this much, I'm really glad I'm not a single guy looking to hook up. You could get in a lot of trouble if you're not careful.

After the gas station for fresh fuel and the Stihl dealer for a jug of bar oil, I cut 4 trees at a friend's. A couple pecker pole dead standing ash. One ash that was leaning significantly towards the house fell according to plan with a rope. Lastly, a decent poplar that I got cocky on and put a flag where I wanted it to go and lined it up with the line on the ms460. Right on the money so I figured we better quit for the day; excavator and tractor made easy work of moving and hauling. PXL_20240426_124240220.jpgPXL_20240426_134411431.jpgPXL_20240426_134436779.jpgPXL_20240426_140852473.MP.jpgPXL_20240426_153424603.MP.jpgPXL_20240426_160247588.jpgPXL_20240426_160315797.jpg

you don't need special chain, just run full skip on the longer bars if chip clearing becomes an issue.
For chainsaw milling a chain designed for cutting into the end grain makes a very noticeable difference, i.e., a rip chain. The Oregon rip chain packs up with swarf... I need a different tooth configuration, such as the Granberg rip chain, that is designed for ripping and has room for swarf. Obviously, pretty much any chain could be used but if you're working with 26+ inch rip cuts having a proper rip chain is a better option than say a semi-skip or full-skip full-chisel chain.

Thanks Guys, I know there is a heavy barrel for one of my 10/22’s in there

Curious what else she got me…..View attachment 1172828
Happy Birthday Matt! Also, thank you for the information on the IPC repair service. I was very busy and just got to remove it and send it out this past Monday. It came back today refurbished. I reinstalled it within minutes of Fed-X pulling away. It's nice to have a speedo again! Seems other of the gauges needed attention too when they tested it. The truck is 19 years old and will turn 20K the next time I drive it, i.e., in about 10 minutes when I leave the house! I guess I should expect more fun as time goes on!
IMG_6705.gif

Load 8.5. I'm getting to the first layer of log pile number one and it's covered in dirt. I have been trying to brush it off, but there is a lot and some is embedded in the bark. My chain was already nearing end of life on many teeth and I ran out of chain adjustment today. I had a couple of spare chains in my other chainsaw box (the one I didn't have with me), so I just loaded up and went home.
20240426_105844.jpg
I'm just a novice here, so maybe @Sawdust Man can advise if my chain is too loose.
20240426_102037.jpg
Went back for load 9 with another chain.
20240426_154309.jpg

Load 8.5. I'm getting to the first layer of log pile number one and it's covered in dirt. I have been trying to brush it off, but there is a lot and some is embedded in the bark. My chain was already nearing end of life on many teeth and I ran out of chain adjustment today. I had a couple of spare chains in my other chainsaw box (the one I didn't have with me), so I just loaded up and went home.
View attachment 1172956
I'm just a novice here, so maybe @Sawdust Man can advise if my chain is too loose.
View attachment 1172958
Went back for load 9 with another chain.
View attachment 1172957
Chain looks good buddy.
Carry on....

Nice farwood. 👍

Chain looks good buddy.
Carry on....

Nice farwood. 👍
OK, glad to know that I'm doing it right!

It is nice farwood for sure, there's even a stick of that pretty red cedar you get so much of. A majority of it is oak, which is funny for me to have so much oak since I'm not a huge fan of it.

OK, glad to know that I'm doing it right!

It is nice farwood for sure, there's even a stick of that pretty red cedar you get so much of. A majority of it is oak, which is funny for me to have so much oak since I'm not a huge fhorrible use.
That's 👍 about the oak.

Speaking of cedar....aka juniperus horribleus.20240410_160352.jpg20240410_160355.jpg20240326_141938.jpg20240326_164419.jpg20240306_120331.jpg20240305_141309.jpg20240305_132419.jpg

For chainsaw milling a chain designed for cutting into the end grain makes a very noticeable difference, i.e., a rip chain. The Oregon rip chain packs up with swarf... I need a different tooth configuration, such as the Granberg rip chain, that is designed for ripping and has room for swarf. Obviously, pretty much any chain could be used but if you're working with 26+ inch rip cuts having a proper rip chain is a better option than say a semi-skip or full-skip full-chisel chain.
I believe you missed what I was saying. I'll elaborate. Rip chain is a modified top plate angle vs regular chain. Nothing special that can't be done with a regular chain. The 4 chains i have for my 36" Alaskan mill set up, 2 are full comp and 2 are full skip. Both have 10* ish top plate angles. The full skip works much better for chip clearing. I wouldn't buy Granburg chain if it was the last "milling" chain out there. It's over priced and doesn't work better enough to justify it's performance over a full skip with an low degree top plate.

If you weren't such a great guy, I would give you **** for not being able to grow a beard.

Yeah I discovered that too. Also a beard evens out a face like mine that is less than perfect. It also hides weight changes.

Women are funny....some absolutely love a beard and no chance with others.

And like they say...happy wife happy life. Or like I heard from a motivational speaker "My life became much better when I let go of the need to be right"
I can, just choose not to

Today is the anniversary of 15 year old Sybil Ludington’s ride to alert the colonists that the British were fixing to attack nearby Danbury, CT. She is claimed to have ridden 40 miles in the rain to do so. There’s a 15 year old girl who could take care of herself!😉. She lived not far from MustangMike, SS396driver, and my girlfriend…

P.S. Her age was reported to be 15 in some sources and 16 in others… still!

G'day fellers,

Last night's peppermint scrounge finished off the left hand bay in the shed - next year's wood. 5.5 cord in there.

20240427_124424.jpg

I don't know about you blokes but I often just stand around admiring my scrounge. There's definitely something satisfying about completing a bay or filling the shed completely. Cowgirl pays me out about it sometimes and today she took this pic of me looking at the completed bay which pretty much sums up how I was feeling about the achievement.

Coronation_190523_GettyImages-1252748426.jpg

G'day fellers,

I went out to Will's today to continue disassembly of the big narrow leaf peppermint I took a load from yesterday. I've taken most of the nice stuff but there's stihl some pretty good wood there along with some that some people would describe as ugly :laugh:

20240427_163244.jpg

I pulled up all the stuff that was embedded in the dirt and laid it up around the butt for burning. A bit of manual labour in that but I just call it bonus cardio.

20240427_163311.jpg

Ross is coming out tomorrow to take what he wants (which will likely be virtually all of it since he has few other options)

20240427_163450.jpg

I didn't actually take any wood today though I spent a couple of hours out there. Mostly, I want to keep my access permission by making sure the clean up is better than the farmer would do. Ross is helping by getting rid of the perfectly burnable (but ugly) wood. Win/win/win.

Scrounge on :rock:

Today is the anniversary of 15 year old Sybil Ludington’s ride to alert the colonists that the British were fixing to attack nearby Danbury, CT. She is claimed to have ridden 40 miles in the rain to do so. There’s a 15 year old girl who could take care of herself!😉. She lived not far from MustangMike, SS396driver, and my girlfriend…

There is a statue of her in the town my dad lives in

some pretty good wood there along with some that some people would describe as ugly :laugh: getting rid of the perfectly......

.........burnable (but ugly) wood. Win/win/win......
Man! You just won't let it go :laugh: ! I publicly apologize for speaking my mind and exercising my right of free speech :laugh: .

Actually, that wood you posted a couple of days ago, looked pretty nice. and I love your wood storage shed. And nothing wrong with admiring your work and noting that phase of the process is done. I've got half a row on my stack to fill and a pile of secondary wood to split and stack. Then I can cover my pile and stand back and admire it too (Still working on my splitter).

And my hat's off to you for splitting all that by hand. I know your location precludes you from having a splitter, but I'd have to put a high speed axle/tires on my splitter and pull it behind my trailer. Your allowed long trains on your roads right?
See, nothing but compliments :laugh:

I believe you missed what I was saying. I'll elaborate. Rip chain is a modified top plate angle vs regular chain. Nothing special that can't be done with a regular chain. The 4 chains i have for my 36" Alaskan mill set up, 2 are full comp and 2 are full skip. Both have 10* ish top plate angles. The full skip works much better for chip clearing. I wouldn't buy Granburg chain if it was the last "milling" chain out there. It's over priced and doesn't work better enough to justify it's performance over a full skip with a low degree top plate.
The Granberg 115 dl ripping chain is $52 I got it cheaper with a coupon I had . I’ve been buying Oregon skips for about $45 . Not much of a difference unless you’re going through chains fast. I have modified the skips for milling they work very well . If I was using a roll of skip chain I’d be staying with it. But I don’t buy chain by the roll .

Expensive is Stihls ripping chain my stealer wants $78 for a 28inch chain

The wife and I have done bike rides (at the Tour De Putnam) that follow Sybil's route. Unlike Paul Revere she rode alone and completed her ride, and, fittingly, there is a Statue of her in Carmel next to Lake Gleneida. (which is part of the NYC watershed)

A messenger had been sent to her father, Colonel Ludington warning of the British coming from the Long Island Sound to Danbury (the Battle of Danbury). Colonel Ludington begged the messenger to continue and rally his militia, but the messenger was too exhausted. So, in the middle of the night, Sybil volunteered to perform the task, and was successful in doing so.

The British won the Battle of Danbury, destroying our supply depot there. But they did not leave, and Hessian soldiers began burning down neighboring farms. That is when the militias responded and drove the British out so convincingly that they never returned during the entire course of the war.

The American supply chain went through Danbury, then into Cold Spring (pretty much along what is now Rte 84) then to our forts along the Hudson River (which terminates in NYC and begins above Albany).

We have also done bike rides on the roads that have the historical plaques denoting Colonial Ludington's route to Danbury, and we used to do a ride on Sundays that traced the route the British took from Danbury to the LI Sound (our ride would include a break for swimming in the Sound).

There is a lot of history in this area.

Back