Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got the chains off the Kubota today. I'm runnin up the road to get some manure for the garden. Next week I'll get the grapple on and tackle more of the log pile. Cat or dog left me an offering in the driveway and I'm not sure what it is.
rodent 2.jpg

Got the chains off the Kubota today. I'm runnin up the road to get some manure for the garden. Next week I'll get the grapple on and tackle more of the log pile. Cat or dog left me an offering in the driveway and I'm not sure what it is.
View attachment 1173106
Dinner as Granny (B. Hills) would say. Possum stew.

View attachment 1173106
Baby opossum jerky

Man! You just won't let it go :laugh: ! I publicly apologize for speaking my mind and exercising my right of free speech :laugh: .

Actually, that wood you posted a couple of days ago, looked pretty nice. and I love your wood storage shed. And nothing wrong with admiring your work and noting that phase of the process is done. I've got half a row on my stack to fill and a pile of secondary wood to split and stack. Then I can cover my pile and stand back and admire it too (Still working on my splitter).

And my hat's off to you for splitting all that by hand. I know your location precludes you from having a splitter, but I'd have to put a high speed axle/tires on my splitter and pull it behind my trailer. Your allowed long trains on your roads right?
See, nothing but compliments :laugh:

It's like a nickname, once it's been bestowed upon you, you're stuck with it forever. And if you indicate unhappiness with it, your mates give it even harder.

I got my nickname (Cowboy) from an opposition fast bowler during a cricket match 20 odd years ago. He was big and dumb and didn't know me, or that I liked to hit out. Third ball, I hit him out of the park. He stomps down the pitch and says "You're nothing but a #$&king cowboy!", loud enough to be heard from the boundary where my teammates were. One was a young bloke from Tonga who could only speak a few words of English but he latched onto "Cowboy" and for the rest of the time I was batting that day he'd keep yelling out "Shot Cowboooy" when I'd score and then it stuck. I was happy enough with that, particularly when you think of some of the atrocious nicknames that some blokes end up with.

When I joined AS, Cowboy was already taken so I added my top score to it and here I am.

I never took offence about my ugly logs, but I may bring it up from time to time :laugh:

And my hat's off to you for splitting all that by hand. I know your location precludes you from having a splitter, but I'd have to put a high speed axle/tires on my splitter and pull it behind my trailer.

Well I guess I could bring rounds home and use a hydro splitter (would have to buy one first) but I do prefer to split by hand. Even harder stuff like bluegum. Sometimes the red mist comes down and I swear I will beat it to death before I give up even if I have to hit it 50 times. But it has to be wood that will ultimately split into stackable pieces otherwise it gets noodled. Mitch has a 40t hydro splitter that he has repeatedly offered me the use of but I've never taken him up on it. Just a bit stubborn I guess.

I love my wood shed but it is too small which is why I'm stacking wood out in front of it and on other flat areas around the place. I had thought that 7m x 3.5m would be big enough but it's not :(

The wife and I have done bike rides (at the Tour De Putnam) that follow Sybil's route. Unlike Paul Revere she rode alone and completed her ride, and, fittingly, there is a Statue of her in Carmel next to Lake Gleneida. (which is part of the NYC watershed)

A messenger had been sent to her father, Colonel Ludington warning of the British coming from the Long Island Sound to Danbury (the Battle of Danbury). Colonel Ludington begged the messenger to continue and rally his militia, but the messenger was too exhausted. So, in the middle of the night, Sybil volunteered to perform the task, and was successful in doing so.

The British won the Battle of Danbury, destroying our supply depot there. But they did not leave, and Hessian soldiers began burning down neighboring farms. That is when the militias responded and drove the British out so convincingly that they never returned during the entire course of the war.

The American supply chain went through Danbury, then into Cold Spring (pretty much along what is now Rte 84) then to our forts along the Hudson River (which terminates in NYC and begins above Albany).

We have also done bike rides on the roads that have the historical plaques denoting Colonial Ludington's route to Danbury, and we used to do a ride on Sundays that traced the route the British took from Danbury to the LI Sound (our ride would include a break for swimming in the Sound).

There is a lot of history in this area.
There sure is lots of history! The British burned Kingston as it was where the first NYS government was formed and was the first capital of N.Y. Former Governor and Vice President George Clinton is buried there too.

When my son and I rode up from FL in 2013 it was an east coast history tour. We hit many historic sites along the way… it’s a shame so many today are willing to rewrite that history…

Earlier this week I got a phone call from the guy that gave me the Vermeer stump grinder. He told me that he has a bunch of stuff for me. I went over today and picked up a spare motor, 68 carbide cutters, cutter setting tool, a 2 foot long tool box with a bunch of tools, a battery for the grinder, 20 2x8x8 Pine boards, 15 full size 2x4x8's and 6 brand new V- belts for the grinder. It was a good day.

Attachments

• 20240427_163427_001.jpg
    20240427_163427_001.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240427_163503.jpg
    20240427_163503.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240427_163538.jpg
    20240427_163538.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240427_163638.mp4
    25.1 MB
G'day fellers,

Back out to Will's again today. Roscoe came out and ended up taking three loads like this one.

20240428_104458.jpg

I sawed up the remaining bits and piece for him and did some splitting then went to have a look at this limb that had come off a broad leaf peppermint about 30m away.

20240428_104842.jpg

There was a fair bit of weight suspended but got it into pieces.

20240428_115024.jpg

20240428_115135.jpg

Ended up with this in the ute

20240428_124752.jpg

and this in the trailer then dragged the rest of the smaller limbs to the burn pile

20240428_124806.jpg

Scrounge on :rock:

Good evening 🍺, or morning ☕️, whatever it is, lol. Kinda over kill for this size wood, but I sure do like this sawIMG_1959.jpegWas wishing I would have taken it to work last week, had some larger than normal ones to cutIMG_1952.jpegThe 572 and 562 got it done thoughIMG_1948.jpegNot a bad place to hang out for the week IMG_1946.jpeg

Not sure if any of you are aware that bacon has it's own essential food group. "Bacon"
View attachment 1173247
Best served with.....well anything and everything.
View attachment 1173248
Have a safe day all.
Ah! Yes! The bacon food group! Bacon paired with any other food, makes the food taste better! Ever had Bacon Ice cream? Yup! It is good too! My saying is that "bacon can even make tofu taste good!" Bacon wrapped tofu sure beats tofu alone. There is a plant not too far from you that cooks bacon. Others in shelby county, IA and Fairbury, NE.

Back