Summer tree topping in Alaska

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awesome video brother. That will come in handy for us down here in the lower 47. You'd he surprised the number of people who don't know what "in-tree" is much less means.

thanks but check your math!

Awesome video brother. That will come in handy for us down here in the lower 47. You'd he surprised the number of people who don't know what "in-tree" is much less means.

which one doesn't count Lower 47? Ive always called you the lower 48? AK and HI not whithstanding 50-2= 48 right?

Nice and smooth. Did your climber have two points of attachment when cutting? Looked like he was only using his lanyard.

The climber primarily uses a steel core Lanyard. He is responsible for his safety gear and application is there some thing I should suggest & why? I've seen an o36 at full throttle with a 3/8 chisel cut chain come to a dead stop on a Steel core lanyard and the only thing that got AFU was the SAW!

The climber primarily uses a steel core Lanyard. He is responsible for his safety gear and application is there some thing I should suggest & why? I've seen an o36 at full throttle with a 3/8 chisel cut chain come to a dead stop on a Steel core lanyard and the only thing that got AFU was the SAW!

I've seen a video of a 361 cutting through a wire core flipline in less than 3 seconds. It's always good to have 2 attachment points.
And why were you catching those pieces without the porta wrap? Seems uncomfortable at best, dangerous at worst. Otherwise, looks like good work you guys do. I love doing evergreen removals. Especially when I don't have to rig, just cut'n chuck.

And why were you catching those pieces without the porta wrap? Seems uncomfortable at best, dangerous at worst.

The first two chunks came off w/o the porta wrap and when they got heavy enough to give me a Jerk the porta wrap was re wrapped if you notice from the 3rd chunk on the drag line goes horizontally back to the base of the tree where the porta wrap is employed! thank you for your input I will strongly suggest two lines this summer!

The first two chunks came off w/o the porta wrap and when they got heavy enough to give me a Jerk the porta wrap was re wrapped if you notice from the 3rd chunk on the drag line goes horizontally back to the base of the tree where the porta wrap is employed! thank you for your input I will strongly suggest two lines this summer!

2 lines is nice for several reasons, it adds redundancy in safety but a climbing line also allows you a means of immediate egress should you need to bail in a hurry. When I block down spars I rig my climbing line like this:
a7eru3yh.jpg
once you make your cut, you just rap to your work position, reconnect your flipline, pull the tag end of the line to loosen it and bring it down to you. Cinch it back up, position and cut away. Repeat

Avoid wear and tear on yourself, let the equipment do the hard part ;) you can buy new gear cheaper than you can fix and old shoulder or buy a new knee.

Last edited:
Thank you

I don't, can't, and won't climb but I am always in the mood to ask / suggest to my climber how he can do it better and safer! this will be my first tip of the year! you guys are great!

Except you should be using a ring or a rigging plate, as caribiners are not desgned to be used like that, as log grabs.

Otherwise use this: http://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?category_id=348&item=1896

Or maybe this: http://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?category_id=350&item=1997

Or maybe this:
http://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?category_id=350&item=1820

Good catch. I just did it that way for the purpose of the picture. I usually use a big 10mm steel screw link.

Back