Will a 395xp cylinder fit a 394xp?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

04titanse

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I posted earlier this week about the lowish compression on my 394xp. It was 150 psi tested tonight and I started pulling it apart to see if it needed rings or a piston or worse. So it turns out there is a pretty new piston and rings in it and they cylinder and piston both still show cross hatch, but there is some every so slight pitting below the exhaust port. The pitting can be felt with the finger nail, so I am thinking its time for a new jug, piston and rings.

I am sure I could put it back together and run it for a while, but I would rather get it working top notch.

So will the meteor 395xp top end kit fit my saw? I have not seen one available for the 394xp.

Bailey's - Meteor Piston & Cylinder Assembly for Husqvarna 395XP Chainsaws

The 395 uses a different style of intake so you'd have to change a bunch of other parts. You'd be looking about $65-70 worth of stuff above and beyond the top end kit.

I posted earlier this week about the lowish compression on my 394xp. It was 150 psi tested tonight and I started pulling it apart to see if it needed rings or a piston or worse. So it turns out there is a pretty new piston and rings in it and they cylinder and piston both still show cross hatch, but there is some every so slight pitting below the exhaust port. The pitting can be felt with the finger nail, so I am thinking its time for a new jug, piston and rings.

I am sure I could put it back together and run it for a while, but I would rather get it working top notch.

So will the meteor 395xp top end kit fit my saw? I have not seen one available for the 394xp.

Yes but the intake manifold , carb and impulse line are different and not interchangeable.

My post got hung up and Jacob beat me to it...LOL

It will fit, but your gonna need a 395 series manifold and pretty sure the later syle carb fuel pump cover, for it to utilize the impulse hose off the jug base, rather than receiving impulse through the intake block like the 394 series,,, I would look @ trying a set of good caber rings if that piston is good,,, Several sponsors here sell them,,, have seen just changing to a set of better rings bump compression quite a bit,,, Would be alot cheaper, that's whats in mine,,, Just sayin... Man great minds think alike!!!! I know right???

Last edited:
It will fit, but your gonna need a 395 series manifold and pretty sure the later syle carb fuel pump cover, for it to utilize the impulse hose off the jug base, rather than receiving impulse through the intake block like the 394 series,,, I would look @ trying a set of good caber rings if that piston is good,,, Several sponsors here sell them,,, have seen just changing to a set of better rings bump compression quite a bit,,, Would be alot cheaper, that's whats in mine,,, Just sayin... Man great minds think alike!!!! I know right???

I don't want to just do rings because of the slight damage to the cylinder.

The 395 uses a different style of intake so you'd have to change a bunch of other parts. You'd be looking about $65-70 worth of stuff above and beyond the top end kit.

Probably better off finding a used OEM 394 cylinder then...right??

I don't want to just do rings because of the slight damage to the cylinder.

Dude, Post up some pics of the damage,,, if it below the exhaust port, I would probably run it, 150 is not bad,, but 170 would be better!!! That pitting should fill in with carbon and you wont look back yeay I bet Someone here has a decent used oem jug if its bothering you that bad what does tghe piston look like????Shiney??? or can you see any machine grooves

Last edited:
Probably better off finding a used OEM 394 cylinder then...right??

It depends...used cylinders pop up once in a great while...I'd go begging first in the swap meet thread and see where that gets you.

It's going to be the easiest and cheapest option for you. I just built a 395 on a 394 chassis and good used parts can be hard to come
by- I bought most of the stuff new.

here are a few pictures...just bought a used OEM jug on the bay. But if this one is run-able I will resell the one I purchased. I think I need a new piston and rings as well as OEM cir clips.

From what I can see,...run it.

Yeah, that cylinder doesn't look bad. The piston appears real good.

Thing to remember, is that a 394/395 when new takes 15-18 tanks to really start breaking in and a used saw fitted with a new piston and rings is going to
take 12-15 tanks so if that's a new piston your compression numbers would likely go up after some run time.

Apparently I am too critical :). Ok so you guys would just throw some caber rings in there with OEM circlips and call it a day? I was hoping to see compression closer to 170+ so I figure even though they seem good a set of rings is at least needed.

Apparently I am too critical :). Ok so you guys would just throw some caber rings in there with OEM circlips and call it a day? I was hoping to see compression closer to 170+ so I figure even though they seem good a set of rings is at least needed.

There is a couple guys in Tennessee that can help with that compression issue. ;)

What's that above the ex port? about half a port height up.
Is it just a reflection, oil smudge or some pitting?

Yeah, I'm twichty about the pitting thing after that bad string
of box store saws.
( gonna shoot some pics of the replacement 450 rancheroo prior to fueling it)

What's that above the ex port? about half a port height up.
Is it just a reflection, oil smudge or some pitting?

Yeah, I'm twichty about the pitting thing after that bad string
of box store saws.
( gonna shoot some pics of the replacement 450 rancheroo prior to fueling it)

Its some sort of imperfection, but its not something I can feel and it is NOT pitting....if anything its a few small small scratches.

Your piston looks almost new, and the pitting below the exhaust port is a non-issue. 150psi isn't a bad number. IIRC, its common for the stock 372XPs to have as low as 135psi.

Delete the base gasket if you can. Make sure that you have at least .020" squish and call it good.

Your piston looks almost new, and the pitting below the exhaust port is a non-issue. 150psi isn't a bad number. IIRC, its common for the stock 372XPs to have as low as 135psi.

Delete the base gasket if you can. Make sure that you have at least .020" squish and call it good.

Yeah the machine groves look good on the piston so JMHO, there is no Issue there, that cylinder is GOOD I would run tha pizz out of it!!!! since you have it a part get ahold of Tha guntotin monkey or WatsonR get a set of caber rings and a set of oem wrist pin keepers, take the old rings off mock up the cylinder less your rings and check your squish if its @ .020 get some good gasket sealant I use Stihl Dirko cause I have a bunch, put the new rings on and Imbettin you will be bumping 170 easy and you will have a large smile on your face the first time you put it in some wood and stuff,,,,, just sayin, Keep us posted,,,

Last edited:
Well I decided to check the squish and then reassemble the saw as it was minus the gasket. I am now at 168-170psi and everything looks to be good to go. I'll test run it this weekend and see how it goes. Unfortunately I did purchase a used jug on ebay before I realized my cylinder was good, so I guess I'll sell that one.

Even with no base gasket my squish is still at .034 so very safe, could really use the base milled. But we will see maybe one day I'll send it out to one of the porting experts to get massaged one day. This saw is rough cosmetically, but seems to be fairly low hours so I think I will be keeping it for milling larger logs my BSM cannot handle.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Back