firewood bunker

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
when i bought the place,,i live at now, the ne "addition on the house[original], had a crawl space under it,,with a window opening to get into it [plumbing]. some years later,someone added in the nw part, matching the lines of the original.the crawl space under this,,was opened by a door on the outside,,to get to the cistern underneath.........i dug a hole with a smaller crawler, and built 4x4 oak cribbing off of pallets crosswise for 4 layers, then got a beam from a bridge co, and a 8x8 post i had from a barn. busted the three walls out,slid the beam thru, put the post up,,and with a 8 ton hyd jack, raised it up level,,it was off by two inches in 12 feet!!!! then dug the rest of it out,,and broke out the cistern,,which was 8x8x6 foot deep..then built the full block basement underneath, with a used coal door in the east side of the wall. i split and stack the wood on the east side of the house. when dry, a few steps, and into the basement it goes!! this room is 12 wide,26 foot long,,and 8 foot high....this is where the wood gets stacked when dry...the window opening..got fully opened into the doorway..the first years i lived here, i hauled it from the east side of the house,,to the west doorway,,and into the basement!!! sucked bad!!!

Hope you are not compromising the stability of the house by removing a bearing wall.

Otherwise it looks nice!

I think it's really cool that you had a cistern in your house but I think what you did with it is even cooler.:msp_thumbsup:

Hope you are not compromising the stability of the house by removing a bearing wall.

Otherwise it looks nice!

not a bearing wall, just a cistern. my house is a post and beam built in the 1830s. the foundation walls are 2-3 ft thick.

Back