Can you tell me about this 026 from one pic?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MindFork

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I know this is kind of a tall order, but can anyone here tell me anything about this 026 from this one pic from CL?
View attachment 312224
It's the lowest priced 260 I've seen on CL in quite a while, and looks barely used. I'd like to know if anyone can tell if it has the larger air filter, and any other little details that will let me know if I should make the hour drive to get it. The owner in the ad said he hasn't used it and so he won't be able to tell me much whenever he gets around to replying to me.

Thanks,
MF

It's a non pro saw so it's not worth as much as the pro. But it's still an excellent saw. Large air filter???? One size only for the 026, as far as I know.

Take the drive. Those saws are easy to work on so if all is not well with it you can fix it easy. Common issues include f/w side crank seal and weak choke spring in the filter. Yes, it has an 026 filter cover. If you find an 024 filter underneath put in on the bay as those things are NLA. New 026 filters are plentiful as are all other parts.
These are one of my favourite loaner saws - nearly bomb proof.

That is the earlier model with the better muffler. It has more holes in it from the factory. It has the older air filter that is black unlike the newer ivory colored ones. I have owned 2 of these and they were great runners. Iirc the red kill switch was the earliest model 026 some had the adjustable oiler some didnt.

You can't go wrong with that saw. The seals are a known problem for leaking. The air filter choke system cause for these saws not to start. They usually get weak and choke the saw off while running.

First thing I do with an 026 is replace crank seals, their cheap and Easy to replace.

J/K...For that price I would be kicking his door down to buy it tonight. I bet there is nothing wrong with that saw. I would pull the muffler and if it looks good, I would pay him up to $100 more than he is asking...

J/K...For that price I would be kicking his door down to buy it tonight. I bet there is nothing wrong with that saw. I would pull the muffler and if it looks good, I would pay him up to $100 more than he is asking...
Yea, I am going to drive up there tomorrow if he calls me! My wife took a call and missed an incoming call that didn't leave a message or show on caller ID, so just in case it was him, I emailed him a second time that he should call back if it was him. I can't do much more than that without sounding like a damn stalker...

Sweet, i just talked to the guy, nice guy i might add, and i will be picking it up tomorrow morning. I will let you know what it needs and sell it to you for $350.

Kinda sounds like the saw is up in my area

If ya need any help just ask

One of my 026 has a little different screw cap on the air cleaner housing
Thanks Brian. I might take you up on that.

I'm still waiting for a reply or call from him. Maybe someone else snagged it in the 1.5 hrs between the post time and my email to him. I've got feelers out to my local stihl dealer, and Madsen's too, so it's only a matter of time before I get a good deal on a good 026.

Sounds like these guys can tell you more about the specifics of years and pro/non-pro, all I know is it looks a lot like my 026 and it has been a great saw for me. Best cutting saw I've ever run. I've run some bigger (Pioneer 6 cube), some older (homies mostly), etcetera.... those Stihls cut like lazers.

So who got that saw??

The seller sent an email and he said that someone was going to look at it today and if they didn't buy it he would call me. No call so I went and looked and the posting is down.

The seller sent an email and he said that someone was going to look at it today and if they didn't buy it he would call me. No call so I went and looked and the posting is down.
You got more out of him than I did. The guy never even wrote back to me, and I emailed him within 90 minutes of posting the ad. I am displeased.

You got more out of him than I did. The guy never even wrote back to me, and I emailed him within 90 minutes of posting the ad. I am displeased.

This is why you never post ANYTHING about a saw until it is in your possession. There are people here that will use your exuberance and information to buy the saw from under you. I got a deal on a desirable saw on a distant CL site this week and will not post anything about it until it arrives on Tuesday. Even though I have seen the shipping receipt I am superstitious.

I was chasing a 6 cube Pioneer a couple of weeks ago and went to a non chainsaw site I am a member of to ask for shipping help to avoid the vultures. Turns out I missed the saw, but at least I didn't add to the competition.

This is why you never post ANYTHING about a saw until it is in your possession. There are people here that will use your exuberance and information to buy the saw from under you. I got a deal on a desirable saw on a distant CL site this week and will not post anything about it until it arrives on Tuesday. Even though I have seen the shipping receipt I am superstitious.

I was chasing a 6 cube Pioneer a couple of weeks ago and went to a non chainsaw site I am a member of to ask for shipping help to avoid the vultures. Turns out I missed the saw, but at least I didn't add to the competition.
Words of wisdom right there.:clap:

Yea, I hear you on that one. I've seen great deal saws on CL disappear in 60 minutes, so I think there are just a bunch of guys in the PNW that camp out on CL and snap up every good deal they see so they can turn around and resell for a profit.

In this case, I think he may have called and my wife missed the call waiting, so he just went to the next name on the list of dudes who had emailed him within minutes of posting.

But just in case it was someone on here who snagged it out from under me, I will take your advice and not post until a new saw is at home with me. :)

Thanks,
MF

Latest posts

Back