Help? 028 AV Super spitting gas out the carb

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FWIW, an 028 is fundamentally a pretty good saw. (I have owned and used two over long periods of time……..
I normally use a MS201 which has a 16” bar, only need the 028 occasionally. I hot-rodded it (moved keyway and drilled exhaust) and it works well.
……The only comment I would make is that I regard a 16 inch bar about right for the saw, for balance, for happiness, for rightness of power. 18 ... okay. Longer ... not so much.
I think the 028 had a 20” from Stihl? It was stolen, and cops brought it back with a 24” and worn chain. Which I’ve left the 24” bar on it, and bought a new 24” chain. I only use it for when I need a longer bar. It doesn’t have to pull that chain hard all day long, i use the 24” just when I need its reach.

Exhaust screen was clear. Piston looks perfect, almost like new.
IMG_2018.jpeg

Took the carb apart and found the filter was plugged with very fine “stuff”. Almost like an algae or something. Shot starting fluid at it and it was gone instantly. I expected to have to scrub it out, or some kinda fight. I cleared all the other passageways and put it back together. I seth the screws at 1 1/4 and had to turn one in to about 3/4 to rev out.

It seems to run well, idles well, but haven’t put it “into the wood” yet😉.

I need it to cut wood tomorrow!
A 24” standing dead Doug Fir is waiting to feed my sawmill!

Exhaust screen was clear. Piston looks perfect, almost like new.
View attachment 1108401
You really need to look at the exhaust side as well. Only 2 screws.

Took the carb apart and found the filter was plugged with very fine “stuff”. Almost like an algae or something.
This is likely the decomposed "filter" material that is found inside the fuel pickup. You need to replace the fuel pickup (and the fuel line for good measure) or this will likely happen again.

Latest posts

Back