Jack of all trades master of none Harness???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildsurviver

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
:msp_confused:I am looking for a harness or saddle and could really use some help deciding on which one.
Background:
Taken Game of Logging levels 1-3. Plan to take additional levels as time, money, experience allow.
Drop and cut “easy” trees for firewood. (just for me)
Do most if not all of my own maintenance, home, car, equipment, etc.
Working towards owning land and managing it for lumber, wildlife, pleasure.

What I want (think I want) is a harness or saddle that I can use to climb trees AND could use for roofing (my old dairy barn needs to be stripped and redone) OR other such jobs that a harness would be needed. I would also like one that I could use when hunting, ascend the tree and sit in it for 4-8 hours. I don’t do a lot of one thing so whatever I go with has to be usable for a lot. What I have kind of seen/found is that I might want to look at something that has a fall arrest top and a seat that can be added/removed from the main harness or saddle as needed.

I have done some research and know that some hazards are present if you have the wrong harness or saddle and sit in it for a long period of time. I do plan on doing more research and probably taking some kind of an entry level class to get some hands on experience with climbing.

What harness should I be looking at?
I live near Rochester NY suggestions on places to try one on or find in person help?
THANK YOU!

Last edited:
In MHO, maybe this could be an option?
A Sequoia SRT saddle and then add a top harness? Will give you some flexibility in your set up.
View attachment 312184 View attachment 312185
Petzl Tree Climbing Harnesses
Göran

Goran, I like that harness and the fact that it is designed to have a top harness is great. I have a question though, on the Petzl website it list the top harness for the Sequoia SRT "seat harness". Do they mean the Sequoia swing that has a seat instead of two separate leg straps? If so could this still be used with the none seat Sequoia SRT configuration? Thank you for the suggestions and help.

Check out Wesspur.com and look them up on youtube they have a lot of good videos maybe what your looking for.

Thank you! I did that and ended up looking at several videos of a Couger saddle. The Seqouia SRT is what I was looking at on my own but was worried about being able to attach a top harness to help with fall arrest and the cost.
Any other suggestions, tips, etc. when looking at or trying on a saddle?
Thank you!

I never wore one but I don't think the sequoia is cushy enough to be sitting in for up to 8 hours like you said. maybe something with a bit more padding like an ergovation or cougar. also I never used a saddle with a seat either but its probably more comfortable to sit in vs one with leg straps which gives you more flexibility in your movement tho. if these saddles work for all the crazy movements guys do in trees I wouldn't worry about needing a fall arrest top for going up and down a roof unless your nailing upside down while a guy holds your ankle which ive seen before. I think the fall arrest comes more into play for bucket workers and the way they lean out of the buckets to work.

I never wore one but I don't think the sequoia is cushy enough to be sitting in for up to 8 hours like you said. maybe something with a bit more padding like an ergovation or cougar.

The Sequoia is good saddle but not that comfy to sit in for a long time. You legs will get numb.
I bought a Kolibri click a while ago with big leg paddings. A bit expensive maybe, but comfy.
Göran.

What I want (think I want) is a harness or saddle that I can use to climb trees AND could use for roofing (my old dairy barn needs to be stripped and redone) OR other such jobs that a harness would be needed.

I think you are going to regret using a saddle while working on a roof. You don't need anything to support you and it's going to be uncomfortable and get in the way. All you need for roof work is a good pair of roof shoes and a fall arrest harness in case you slip. So my advice is to select a saddle for tree work and a fall arrest harness system for the roof.

Not to mention, I don't think any saddle is going to be comfy to just sit in for 4-8 hrs. And then you're going to shoot from it? This whole 3 in 1 concept just isn't a good idea. There is a reason googling roofing/arborist/hunting saddle doesn't get any results. The only thing these activities have in common is they involve heights. Jeff

I'm not much of a tree hanger like the other guys on this site, just top trees on occasionally for yarders and what not, I just use a climbing harness but I'm not up there for very long.

Yeah, I am helping a guy reroof his house that has a 10/12 (40 degree) pitch with a valley and he has a simple webbing style harness for climbing that has NO padding. From time to time he has to sit or kneel on his roof with only the harness for support and it cuts into him a lot. I couldn't see wearing the thing for anything other than safety because it is not comfortable to let carry your weight, not even for 10 minutes. The Barn I have to do is an old dairy barn so most of the roof can’t be walked on plus it has a large valley on the back because the barn is L shaped. I figure the harness is going to carry a good part of my weight a lot of the time even if I put up furring strips and stand of them.
Thanks for the input

I think you are going to regret using a saddle while working on a roof. You don't need anything to support you and it's going to be uncomfortable and get in the way. All you need for roof work is a good pair of roof shoes and a fall arrest harness in case you slip. So my advice is to select a saddle for tree work and a fall arrest harness system for the roof.

I know one of my problems is going to be finding a saddle that will work for me at several tasks like roofing, siding, tree work, etc. Why do you think the saddle will not be comfortable when working on a steep 10/12 or gabel dairy barn style roof that you would be "perched" on?

I'm not helping either. GOL? LMAO!!!

Are you asking what Game of Logging is? If so Worth Every Penny! I took the class with Bill Lindloff. See website below.

www.gameoflogging.com

Game of Logging (GOL) is training offered to professional loggers, foresters, college students, forest landowners, casual users, city-parks and utility workers, firemen, and anyone interested in learning any of the safety technique regarding the use of chainsaws by combineing demonstration with participation to teach safety, productivity, conservation and cutting techniques.

Jill of all trades master of none

I'm going to wade into this...

I have a Petzl Navaho Complet saddle. It has an integrated top harness with a fall arrest ring in the back. It is an older model primarily designed for tower climbing. It's actually not dissimilar from Petzl's current arborist offerings. The significant difference is the front attachment point - it's a center mounted fixed ring.

If you search old threads here, you'll find a few posts by people who were successfully using these pre-Sequoia model Petzl saddles for tree work. The main complaint was a comfort issue for the guys. I find the saddle OK - I'll run out of stamina before it becomes uncomfortable.

I justified buying this saddle because it could serve three purposes:
1) Gutter and roof cleaning (fall arrest)
2) Climbing Burning Man type art projects
3) "Mowing" my weeds*

* The weeds being 40 foot weed trees growing beneath 160+ foot redwoods.

If I was buying today, I might end up with a true arborist's saddle. Purposes 1 and 2 are infrequent enough that they don't require special purpose gear.

Addressing the OP's needs: You're not a roofer. If your saddle becomes uncomfortable, you can knock off for the day and resume some other day. As for hunting, I doubt you'll find anything you'd want to wear all day. If I loosen the straps on my Petzl, it is fine to stand around in it, but I wouldn't want to try doing any precision activities.

Back