Saddle attatchment and hip pinch

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

focusforestry

Reaction score
Hello. I was first introduced to tree climbing about 5 years ago and would do it off and on between that time using other people's gear, letting them rig it up, ect. I had bought a used saddle and some spurs a while back but never got around to using them as I needed some better rope and gear. I'm out of school now and finally have alittle bit of spending cash. I bought some rope, caribeeners, throw line ect from a local aborist supply shop. I want to buy a new saddle, but there's so many options, and I'm unsure about putting 4 or 5 hundred dollars into a product if I may not like it.

So I'm using that saddle I bought used. It's a buckinham 4 d ring buttstrap. And let me say, man, this thing is uncomfortable. When the buttstrap rings come together, it pinches my hips big time, where my legs are wanting to cross each other. It seems like it would help if the Dee's were farther apart, but I am not sure how to set that up and still be safe.

Currently I'm climbing drt with a bowline around the Dee's and going to a Blake's hitch. Is this the right tie in for something like this? I like to eventually use a split tail with a self tending pulley, but I need to get the comfort part figured out first. It may be it's just the nature of these saddle. I'm not sure. The leg saddles are so common anymore it's hard to find videos of people using a saddle like this.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

Use two carabineers to space them out.đź‘Ś Your hips will still get pinched but nowhere as bad
Oh but why make him suffer like we did... might as well make him start out with three strand and a taughtline hitch... this industry has come so far, and suffering is optional...

I tried the 2 carineer and trick and it actually improve significantly. Still there but much more manageable.

I visited a local supply shop and hung in a few different saddles. I found the most comfortable and supportive was the weaver 1095/ 760 leg harness saddle. Even compared to some of the much more expensive ones.
I didn't have a whole lot of time in fine tune adjusting them, but alittle. I'm just unsure how it will hold up after some use.

Go with the very best fitting saddle you can buy. My "Cadillac" is far better with a larger saddle than I need to allow for winter clothing to fit under it so remember that when tooling up your gear.
The basic strap with no back support sucks and 4D is the way to go with full bridge rope or strap type. I run a Williams D beaner roller on my bridge. I'll get you few pics. This saddle is heavy with a full bozen seat so no pinching my narrow ass any more when you set back in your gear. The leg straps just dangle free and get little use here. Rope grab on a steel wire lanyard is the way to go. I run a pistol grip grab with a braided rope on the other side to move and set faster. I use SRT and DRT.
K.I.S.S. is best. I'm notorious for dragging too much gear and too many lines up the tree when you work solo on large pick apart removals or big dead ones. Bomb jobs are fun but dangerous as hell on dead ash or maple.

Be Safe

Hello. I was first introduced to tree climbing about 5 years ago and would do it off and on between that time using other people's gear, letting them rig it up, ect. I had bought a used saddle and some spurs a while back but never got around to using them as I needed some better rope and gear. I'm out of school now and finally have alittle bit of spending cash. I bought some rope, caribeeners, throw line ect from a local aborist supply shop. I want to buy a new saddle, but there's so many options, and I'm unsure about putting 4 or 5 hundred dollars into a product if I may not like it.

So I'm using that saddle I bought used. It's a buckinham 4 d ring buttstrap. And let me say, man, this thing is uncomfortable. When the buttstrap rings come together, it pinches my hips big time, where my legs are wanting to cross each other. It seems like it would help if the Dee's were farther apart, but I am not sure how to set that up and still be safe.

Currently I'm climbing drt with a bowline around the Dee's and going to a Blake's hitch. Is this the right tie in for something like this? I like to eventually use a split tail with a self tending pulley, but I need to get the comfort part figured out first. It may be it's just the nature of these saddle. I'm not sure. The leg saddles are so common anymore it's hard to find videos of people using a saddle like this.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

Eh. Tree climbing is uncomfortable at all times. From the spurs pressing on your arches & shins to the pine-sap stuck in your hair and the sawdust in your eyes.

If your D-rings are compressing your legs and hips too much, you might be crimped into a saddle too small or you might be rigged incorrectly. Try something different. For example, on DRT, you might very much prefer attaching your "up" line completely free of your friction-hitch "down" line attachement. This should take off all the side pressure, and leave you almost questioning how securely you are attached to the saddle. Make sure you have really secure butt-strap retainer straps. Not sure what you would call them, probably crotch-straps, but that just sound a bit kinky.

You should only be attaching to the belt with caribiners attached to the end of the rope with a really secure knot that isn't so bulky. Try using double or triple fisherman's hitch. They are far more streamlined than a bowline, more secure, and the tail leaves the knot parallel to the rope it secures. None better, in my opinion.

Latest posts

Back