Jack of all trades master of none Harness???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nah, he just has a weird sense of humor. Pretty good guy actually. Well, sometimes anyway.

We're going to get him out here for one of our Left Coast working GTGs and RandyMac and I will take turns yelling at him. :help:

Thanks Bob, that Norwegian was hurting the feelings of my inner child (who happens to be a mean little ####er, for what it's worth)

Last edited:
I'll toss my hat in...

Hanging from any kind of harness or saddle for more than a few hours becomes nightmarish for me...

The arborist type arn't too bad but your still moving and working not just hanging there waiting for bambi to waltz through your cross hairs, could be me can't stand just sitting and waiting gotta be doing something,

for fall arrest I suppose they wouldn't be to bad the saddle type are really just a modified version of rappelling or rock climbing harnesses, wider padding bunch more hanging points for tools etc.

In summary get the best one you can afford, but I would want to be hanging static in one for more than a few minutes. Could be the bees knees for roofing steep angles they are meant to be worked in.

And the gol thing... I guess its good for newbs that haven't spent most of their childhood and all of their adult life around saws... however if you have, then the weaknesses of GOL are obvious. Not to mention its some puffed up crud they want you to pay for. Yeah Yeah I know that they say even seasoned loggers learn something from the classes, whatever, seasoned loggers learn something everyday... otherwise they end up being dead loggers...

Well. Everyone's gotta start somewhere. So he took some classes. .

Most of the people on this forum aren't like us older timber beasts who either had to get it figured out or die trying just to keep a roof overhead. Some of us all it was was a bunk house. If we r typing currently its because we lived thru something that would wear out most Navy Seals
But, we lived in a place and time that the opportunities were available for us to do that. Most don't have those opportunities.

I tried to answer his?? Straight up from my experience.
Pushing the limits is how we grow not atrophy.
I guess part of my response comes from working with a halfdozen young guys this summer that were green as the grass. I myself can't understand how a male child in North America let alone Alaska could get to 20 years old and not know how to run a chainsaw or tell a spruce tree from a pine. Or a willow from a cottonwood. But most of them had managed to pull it off. Computer games I guess.
I jus think some of u guys could have been more forthcoming with info to answer his??? Maybe I'm the only one that has been on a steep roof all day wishing I could find a way to stay on it when that first slip happened. Or been raised by a father that had come off a roof when he was in his 20 s and had to hobble around for the rest of his life.

Tramp bushler
Northmanlogging
Monkeylove
Guran
Madmarksolomon
Joezilla11
Umbellularia

Thank you to the above and anyone I might have missed as I found your posts to be the most helpful. I am going to take your suggestions, do some more research, and find a store or some locals that will let me try on their saddles. I will let you all know what I decide on and how it works out. If anyone has a suggestion on what saddle/harness or other equipment, I should try or might want to consider getting please feel free to toss it up. Also I am interested in a beginners class on climbing as I learn best by doing and being walked through things.
Thanks!

View attachment 313606

hey dont know if you found what your looking for but im from the Rochester area and am there usually a couple times a month I have a modded buckingham buckcat that i use as a personal saddle my work saddle is an edge your welcome to try both if you want could also help with the climbing thing too, for what you want to do there really isnt a jack of all trades saddle however one with a bosuns seat would probably be a good bet for ya.

Latest posts

Back