Jack of all trades master of none Harness???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know one of my problems is going to be finding a saddle that will work for me at several tasks like roofing, siding, tree work, etc. Why do you think the saddle will not be comfortable when working on a steep 10/12 or gabel dairy barn style roof that you would be "perched" on?

I've never seen a roofer use anything other than fall arrest equipment and many don't even do that if they know OSHA isn't looking. If it's too steep to walk you use roof brackets and planks, scaffolding or a lift depending on the situation.

If I ever saw a guy doing roof work with a saddle he would have to be from some jackleg handyman company that does tree, painting, roofing- anything to make a buck.

I've never seen a roofer use anything other than fall arrest equipment and many don't even do that if they know OSHA isn't looking. If it's too steep to walk you use roof brackets and planks, scaffolding or a lift depending on the situation.

If I ever saw a guy doing roof work with a saddle he would have to be from some jackleg handyman company that does tree, painting, roofing- anything to make a buck.

Never heard the term "JackLeg" before so I looked it up on merriam-webster.
1a: characterized by unscrupulousness, dishonesty, or lack of professional standards <a jackleg lawyer>
1b: lacking skill or training : amateur<a jackleg carpenter>
2: designed as a temporary expedient : makeshift
Interesting word i would say.

I am looking for a comfortable harness that will provide me safety as I do projects on my own because I am independent and like taking care of my own properties. I guess this may make me a "jackleg" as I am lacking in skill at this point. I have a good idea how "profesionals" do different things as I have watched, listened, researched, and actualy worked along side some of them. I am not a profesional when it comes to roofing, painting, or tree trimming because I don't do it for a living but I am cabable of getting things done and up to a safe stanadard. Part of my doing all of this is the fact that I like to learn and enjoy being active and acomplishing different things. I have worked from roof brackests and scafolding and not been tied in. I don't like it. I would rather be a little slower, look "funny" with a climbing saddle on, and safe when roofing at home then run the risk of killing my self if I fell. I also think that safety must be convient. Having a harness for every task is not convient, let alone expensive. My general assesment is that arborist spend alot of time in saddles and the ones offered to them have alot more padding then I see on any other ones offered to the other trades. That is why I am here asking for help and advise.
Thank you.

Are you asking what Game of Logging is? If so Worth Every Penny! I took the class with Bill Lindloff. See website below.

www.gameoflogging.com

Game of Logging (GOL) is training offered to professional loggers, foresters, college students, forest landowners, casual users, city-parks and utility workers, firemen, and anyone interested in learning any of the safety technique regarding the use of chainsaws by combineing demonstration with participation to teach safety, productivity, conservation and cutting techniques.

:msp_rolleyes:

I have a good idea how "profesionals" do different things as I have watched, listened, researched, and actualy worked along side some of them.

And I assume that's why you came here to ask advice. We are telling you that what you want to do just isn't done unless you are an amateur. So if you are looking for a saddle for roofing work there is no such thing and I could be wrong but I don't think anybody here has ever used one for that purpose. Nor would you find a professional roofer trying it and that's not because the method isn't available to them. So do what you want but if you want to imitate the pros this is the way it is.

Well. If y'all haven't run the poor guy off yet I'll try to help him out. .

I will wear my saddle on a roof. For just the reasons he described. . The nail bags will sit a little lower than they do from my Diamond back tool belt because they need to be hung from caribiners that I use in place of caritools
You can get a Buckingham Viking and add Buckingham fall arrest suspenders. WesSpur has both instock. Unless your a fatty like me and I went with the Weaver Cougar. If you use 2 biners per side u can hang your nail and tool bags from them. You may choose to do some tinkering on the bags (NOT THE BELT OR SADDLE) .
The Viking or Cougar works great "IMO " for tree work. But even with a batten seat I wouldn't want to sit in one for long hunting.
I have spent plenty of time hanging in my DiamondBack UFO on roofs and used a hunting fall arrest harness for a while. It saved me from a couple falls off 8-12 -12 slope roofs that it more than paid for itself. But it wasn't really the best so the arb saddle is a very good idea. To keep the cost down on the other gear u will need I recommend Samson Arbor Plex rope and a Hitch Hiker or GriGri. But if you are doing a nice metal roof with say SkyLine or Snap Lock metal then I recommend a good eye to eye prussic to keep scratching the metal to a minimum

And I assume that's why you came here to ask advice. We are telling you that what you want to do just isn't done unless you are an amateur. So if you are looking
for a saddle for roofing work there is no such thing and I could be wrong but I don't think anybody here has ever used one for that purpose. Nor would you find a professional roofer trying it and that's not because the method isn't available to them. So do what you want but if you want to imitate the pros this is the way it is.

GOM ; haven't you ever worked around Iron Workers. They use fall arrest+work positioning and carry their bags and beaver tails. All at the same time.

Harness or saddle or both?

All I can say is....I just went through the same dilemma and also came here for advice. I have a Sala fall aresst harness I use for work and tried to make it work for treeclimbing and hunting purposes. It did not work well and after a few painful weeks of trying I listened to the guys and bought a tree saddle. I went with the New Tribe Treefox and have used it a few times for 4 hour hangs and support while sitting in tree crothches. Best move I could have made, very comfortable and no pinching. I know nobody likes to spend money if they don't have to, but buying a Treefox will be well spent money.The pro arborist will probably agree that it does not have enough rings for their needs, but for hunting puposes it is perfect.Forme atleast. Just my 2 cents. Good luck.

Are you asking what Game of Logging is? If so Worth Every Penny! I took the class with Bill Lindloff. See website below.

www.gameoflogging.com

Game of Logging (GOL) is training offered to professional loggers, foresters, college students, forest landowners, casual users, city-parks and utility workers, firemen, and anyone interested in learning any of the safety technique regarding the use of chainsaws by combineing demonstration with participation to teach safety, productivity, conservation and cutting techniques.

You are aware that who ya just had a pop at ...............is one off the most respected fallers around ??? ...............You are aware he has falled more trees than you had hot diners ............you are aware the the GOL log dance is a money making exercise.

Now ifn ya have a pop at Randy ya gonna kinda have a few fallers rather miffed at ya .........

I hope ya got ya ball cap from your course .........cause ifn ya go try to fall anything of any size using your highly taught techs then .........oh never mind you'll find out

www.gameoflogging.com

LMAO! Are you asking RandyMac if he knows of GOL?? Hope yer wearing something fireproof :eek2: :hmm3grin2orange:

Hey RandyMac...were you aware that was what GOL meant?? Go figure huh? You got yer 404 wrapped in a newspaper handy? :cheers:

I think we have a snow ball effect here
. If everyone could simmer down that would be great.

Boy. These things site can get outa hand quik

Oh, come on, tramp, lighten up. The guy asks for a magic "harness" that will let him climb trees, roof 10/12's, and shoot deer from 20' up after hanging from it for 4-8 hrs. I'd like a jet pack, but they don't make those either. And then starts preaching GOL to Randy? Ya gotta admit it is kinda funny.

I'm not helping either. GOL? LMAO!!!

www.gameoflogging.com

I don't know who this "RandyMac" guy is. Sounds more like a trucker than a lumberjack to me. Whoever he is, if he wants to be a real lumberjack he needs to consider taking some GOL classes. He may think he knows more than most "college students" or "casual users", but that's only because he has never taken the course. Lumberjacking is not something that can be learned by years of on the job training with experienced lumberjacks, it requires some weekend classes to ever really become an expert. Same with that Gologit guy. Anybody can put some "I'm a logger thing" in their user name, but it takes serious coursework to be a real lumberjack. Those guys seem like :newbie:'s to me

I don't know who this "RandyMac" guy is. Sounds more like a trucker than a lumberjack to me. Whoever he is, if he wants to be a real lumberjack he needs to consider taking some GOL classes. He may think he knows more than most "college students" or "casual users", but that's only because he has never taken the course. Lumberjacking is not something that can be learned by years of on the job training with experienced lumberjacks, it requires some weekend classes to ever really become an expert. Same with that Gologit guy. Anybody can put some "I'm a logger thing" in their user name, but it takes serious coursework to be a real lumberjack. Those guys seem like :newbie:'s to me

You are a dope.
Jeff

Back