Johnny Bucket/Swisher

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theswampthing

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Anyone have this setup on your garden tractor? I was wondering how you liked them, specifically for moving snow. Not plowing, just moving snow for a small area. Eventually I would like to get an older used skid steer for moving snow and firewood, but liked the idea of one of these small buckets for my tractor. I've done some research, but wanted to hear from someone in person, so to speak. Pics if you got em, please. Thanks.

I absolutely loathe moving snow with my garden tractor loader bucket. Yes, it's better than a hand shovel but the 4 way snow plow is so much more efficient. On the other hand, the bucket is great for moving fire wood. Keep the snow plow on your gt, put your Johnny bucket money towards that skid steer.

I wouldn't waste my time with a johnny bucket for snow. They lack the only benefit of a loader for snow, being able to lift and pile. And I can do that to a point with a blade by just coming into pile and lifting blade and pushing. Loaders suck for snow in my opinion. Blade or blower depending on the situation. Save your money for the skidsteer. Even then you will be far more efficient with a blade on the skidsteer for snow.

I'll just keep my eyes open for an old Gehl. The plowing, or even shoveling isn't a problem. I live in a tiny little patch town in the woods. I am running out of room to put the snow, and wondered if a little bucket would help out. I know the JBJr doesn't lift very high, so I knew it would take a while. Guess I'll just keep the tractor setup with the plow, then.

Shoot if that's the problem, just get a snow dragon.

This is the biggest reason I swear by a blower. No piles, no windrows building drifts. One pass the stuff is gone for good.

Yep...hard to beat a snowblower:
blowin_snow.jpg

Garden tractors with blower work pretty good.

2lj4vuc.jpg

But nothing like this bad boy I run clearing snow at a local school.

17d8o0.jpg

20utt7q.jpg

The biggest problem with the johny bucket moving snow is its lack of lift height. It could pick it up just like a loader, but unless you had a shear cliff that was stable where would you dump it as every where else is going to have high snow as well. As every one mentioned before a loader sucks for snow removal but at least it can dump it on top of other snow due to its lift height.

A skid steer is not that great at moving snow unless it has an actual snow blade, they do work ok on a parking lot where you can push/pile it up but on drives, especially of any length, you need a angled plow to push it off the side or a blower. A farm tractor with an angled blade or a rear mount blower would be a cheaper and better option than a skid steer.

Thanks for the replies, fellas. I heard conflicting opinions on the JB, but I'm going to agree with you guys, and say it's definitely not what I need at this point. I need something to take big piles of snow, and move them somewhere else. I already have an old wheel horse with a plow. What we have here at this point, are huge piles of snow from plows, shovels and snow blowers, and are pretty much out of room. The main problem is that the borough has basically stopped plowing except for a single lane down our road. It's just a mess at this point. @cantoo the neighbor down the street has that setup, sans snow blower, and it's awesome.

I also have a 4x4 Steiner with a snow blower and a loader but have never really used it for snow removal, too easy on the Kubota. My son plays with the Steiner if the snow is fluffy. The loader on the steiner only lifts about 16" so it's a pain to use for much of anything.
I just took a look at the Johnny Bucket and it's pretty much designed after the Steiner loader, save your money for something better. A small blower would be better, for dry snow at least.

Back